HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2010, 03:37 PM
Langley B.C Canada
Joined Feb 2003
503 Posts
Discussion
I think I've made a mistake.

Hello,

Well I'm a newbie to rc sailing and although I have done some reading on what a good first boat would be I've gone ahead and bought the Equipage Olympia 100.......price was 170.00 cdn. at first I was going to buy the Storm 100 it looked cheap and you could see all the planking down the sides of the boat.
So after starting to put it all together there are some real crappy things that stand out right away, first the servo tray is just a piece of flat flimsy plastic so no real box to hold it all together. 2nd the rudder is loose on its shaft.....
I'm not really complaining but I didn't want to spend a tone of money on a Kyosho, or thunder tiger so I guess I get what I pay for .
So if anyone else has bought this boat if you have any tips ???

Thanks
Brian T
Brian T is offline Find More Posts by Brian T
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2010, 05:41 PM
Joined Oct 2008
9 Posts
Think you made a mistake...

Hi, Brian-
Sad to hear, and, unfortunately- all too often true. There is so much junk for sale... there's a ton of it on eBay. It's a shame more people don't research their purchases first in these groups. Hopefully someone else can learn from others mistakes. The CR914 is a good boat kit, comes with everything you need and is a great sailing boat right out of the box. Of course, it costs more. There are other good boats, Kyosho makes some good ones. Unfortunately, the old addage "You get what you pay for" is still true. Fancy paint jobs and pictures do not a good boat make.
I hope you can get some assistance with your boat. Unfortunately, boat kits like these turn more people off to sailing more than any other cause. It's like this in almost any hobby- airplanes, boats, in astronomy- cheap WalWart and K-Mart scopes do the same thing... it's been happening forever, and we still hear people relate the same tales.
Wes
MarTay6 is offline Find More Posts by MarTay6
Old Sep 05, 2010, 11:19 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,260 Posts
Quote:
astronomy- cheap WalWart and K-Mart scopes do the same thing...
Yes, get an old Cave telescope.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Sep 07, 2010, 06:39 AM
Landlubber
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again.... good kitboats are made by Kyosho, Graupner, Robbe and Tamiya. With the sole exception of the Victoria, Thunder Tiger do not make good (or indeed, useable) yachts and neither do anybody else.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation Brian...... I wish I'd had the chance to advise you before you bought your Olympia....... BUT the good news is the guys here are very helpful and no doubt you'll soon have enough input to help you debug your yacht and get her on the water!

Good luck, buddy

Darth
DarthDude is offline Find More Posts by DarthDude
Old Sep 07, 2010, 08:57 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,846 Posts
Quote:
first the servo tray is just a piece of flat flimsy plastic so no real box to hold it all together. 2nd the rudder is loose on its shaft
A tray can be perfectly OK as long as the servos sit down through it, the critical point is "is it strong enough in the direction that the force will be applied?". If the answer is yes, no problem, if no, the kit item can be used as a pattern to make a ply replacement.
How loose is the shaft? Loose enough to remove? Loose enough to leave a gap? if there is a gap, introducing thin superglue down the gap will seal and fix. If it can be removed, a smear of slow epoxy and re-insert should leave it fixed forever.
It is a pity that the manufacturers couldnt take the trouble to do their job properly, but the upside is that in sorting through the problems, you will learn a whole lot more than you would if it just worked out of the box. If you look at the ETNZ threads, you will find a boat that has a bundle of problems due to slack design work, but can be made into a good performer.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Sep 07, 2010, 03:35 PM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
Cheese Boats

LoL,........hi brian, It`s a start anyway, I managed to get my Storm 100 going after re-re just about everything. It`s a good boat now! For 150.00 It was a good start. It`s a cheap way to find out wether you will like RC boats if anything.
Like most experienced will agree,...the bigger class boats are best if you have a mini-van,...heheheh.
I plan to go scale in the end anyway so a 1 metre boat is good for a quick fix and learning the ropes.

Warren
Warren Jones is offline Find More Posts by Warren Jones
Old Sep 08, 2010, 01:04 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,441 Posts
all is not lost..........kind of

Hey Brian
Hang in there. I have close friend who bought one too. The issues with the boat for the most part can be addressed and once done, the boat will sail as well as the hull design will allow.

My buddy is on a 2 week motorhome trip, but when he gets back, I will take some photos of the repairs/fixes he has done to get his boat to sail.

One of the main problems is the jib is not controlled by anything, and does what ever the wind dictates. There is a term for the floating jib, but my old brain as miss filed it some where. He made custom servo tray that accoumades two sail servos, and a rudder servo. One sail servo now operates the jib, and the other the main. It was a very tight fit, but but John has the skills and tools. The forward servo controls the jib and is slightly off center to clear then post inside the hull. The main sail servo in larger and sits centered in the tray, and the rudder servo is behind it. It works! Very cool.

The boat is very heavy to start with, so it needs some wind to get her moving. We were out last weekend with it, in 10 to 12mph winds, and the boat liked these conditions. Before John made the modifications, the boat would move pretty well in these winds, but was a hand full.

He got his as a close out, as it had been sitting on the hobby shop shelf for years. The decking planking was separating, so he sanded it all down and put a number of coats of marine varnish on it. He took off the decals that it came with, and we added our own more flattering trim lines to the hull.

With only one sail servo, it was very hard to sail. The new servo arrangement has improved the boat a lot. It is a pretty boat to look at for sure. If you think this is too much trouble, I'd understand. John is a very handy guy and advance sailor, so it was pretty easy for him to handle.

I wouldn't put any money in the boat, as you probably will not ever get it back.
Hey there is always E-bay - Let me know if your are interested in seeing his changes.
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Sep 08, 2010, 02:24 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,798 Posts
Hi Brian,

Sorry to hear about your purchase of a nice room devider...
These boats are 'not very good' to say the least.

If you want a model that sails superb get this one:
http://flyingscalemodels.co.uk/remot...ling_boat.html

The Venus is identical to the discontinued Graupner Saphir,
on the Saphir there's a lot of info to be found on the net.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Sep 09, 2010, 01:20 PM
Langley B.C Canada
Joined Feb 2003
503 Posts
Thanks for the replies,

First I made a new servo tray out of 1/8 inch ply, it turned out that the servo control arm for the rudder was slipping on the shaft, so I just filed a flat spot for the set screw and it works well now.
it hasn't seen water yet just waiting for wind and time .

Boomer,
That would be great if your buddy could post up some pics I would like to see how he has set up the jib.

Thanks again

Brian T
Brian T is offline Find More Posts by Brian T
Old Sep 09, 2010, 03:31 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
not to hijack, but my situation may be simular.. one of my pubs regulars bought two of the astro crafts.. I wanna say paradise, from tower hobbies. he said it was for the kids, but they showed no intrest in them.. so he has one assembled and displayed and the other still in the box.
he has offered me the NIB one for $150. I figured it would be simple and cheap enough just for learning the mechanics of RC sailing..

good idea? good price? decent noob boat?
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Sep 09, 2010, 04:26 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,441 Posts
Paradise is toy like but.............

Bgnome,
To be to the point, don't do it. There are far better choices.

This boat looks cute, it is more or less a toy, has a bunch of gingerbread trim on it. It is only 26" long. This size boat is hard to see across a pond or lake.
It is for very light wind and you would grow out of it very quickly.

My suggestion is to spend a few more dollars and buy a Nirvana ll. It is 32" racing sloop, complete and ready to sail, all you need is some batteries. The Nirvana has an official AMYA class for racing. They are easy to sell if you ever get tried of it.

Check out http://sailrc.com/sailrcnirvana/Nirvana_Store.html
Steve Lang at Steve@SailRC.com

You will be glad you did. This is arguably the best RC sailboat to start with. Many stay with them for years. In 30 minutes after you open the box you can be ready to go sailing. Check this site out to read up on the Nirvana ll. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794969

I have had two and love them. I may by another, perhaps one of the new colors they are coming out with. Blue is my personal fav.

I attached pictures of mine. I made a few little mods to the graphics, but other than that it is a stock boat. I have gone on to more advanced and expensive boats, but always love sailing the Nirvana.

There are others but, I am confident you'd be very happy with one.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Sep 10, 2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 06:39 PM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,846 Posts
The Paradise recently featured on UK TV in "The Gadget Show" where various lads toys get showcased by a bunch of TV presenters (i.e. people kicking at middle age but trying desperately to set a poor example to the young, impressionable and stupid by appearing to have excess adrenaline), and, in a field of mostly fast electrics, scored highly. Oddly, even TV presenters could sail it out of the box (it was the RTR version) competently enough to rate it better than at least 24 other boats. Don't know if it is the same boat, but the its retailing over here at just under 150 (do your own conversion), so $150 is probably not far off the mark, and if you can haggle a bit ;-).
That said, TT Victoria and Nirvana are probably much better beginner boats, and have the basic quality to keep you interested and let you improve.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:13 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
Thanks for the input folks!
Like I said earlier. I was only thinking about for the raw mechanics of sail boat controll and was pretty sure of the "toyness" of it. I was raised as a scratch, and scratch by plans builder, and was interested in the noobish "does it bounce when it hits something hard?" effect of gettting into a new model type. For the record, with boats I mostly play around with live steam, and I have a thread down there where I'm building a bunch of free sail's for christmas presensts with at least one being set up with simple rudder RC for personal use.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Sep 13, 2010, 02:25 PM
Rather be flying
United States, TX, Midland
Joined Feb 2009
264 Posts
Tsudduth

I would recommend a Thunder Tiger Victoria. This is a very good beginner boat with a lot of support across the country. At one time it was the fastest growing class in the AMYA and may still be. It is relatively inexpensive and sails very well.
tsudduth is offline Find More Posts by tsudduth
Old Sep 14, 2010, 05:17 PM
Joined Jan 2006
562 Posts
While the vic is a nice boat I would not say that they sail well out of the box nor are they cheap once set up for racing. In relation to bigger classes they are relatively cheap, but expect to be $250 to $500 into a vic to make it competitive.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577