HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2010, 07:40 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,175 Posts
Look at lightthings post and enlarge it. Twilighter was published in the 3/87 issue, Twilighter II was published in the 12/87 issue.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2010, 08:07 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2009
229 Posts
Here is the link to download the whole MAN issue with the Twilighter II plans/article:

http://media.radiocontrolzone.com/ma...7_December.pdf

Or I can upload just the individual pages if you like.
mrcosmo is offline Find More Posts by mrcosmo
Old May 12, 2010, 05:06 AM
Joined Nov 2009
229 Posts
Here is the article and plans for the Twilighter II form MAN Dec 1987.
Old May 12, 2010, 05:22 AM
Joined Nov 2009
229 Posts
Oops. It's attached this time
Old May 12, 2010, 05:15 PM
Joined May 2010
26 Posts
Thanks for the link. I may have a set of plans; have to search through the rubble of my basement. If I don't, do you know of anyplace I can order a set?
Top_Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Top_Gunn
Old May 12, 2010, 05:23 PM
Joined May 2010
26 Posts
Never mind: found it. The trick is to spell it "Twiliter."
Top_Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Top_Gunn
Old May 13, 2010, 09:40 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,731 Posts
mrcosmo, how do you access other issues through that website? I coundlt find any directions there....

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old May 14, 2010, 12:21 AM
Joined Nov 2009
229 Posts
There are no directions on the MAN site as such, I looked under "Article Archive" on the left side. This took me to thumbnail covers which I clicked on to get the name of the magazine pdf link, then I cut and paste it into Google and only by chance a link came up to the site 'radiocontrolzone' (see first link I posted for the March 1987 issue).
You can change the month and year in the pdf link to download other issues but it only goes a couple of years either side. The MAN members area goes back to 1982 - I'd love to find earlier issues and will keep searching.
Basically I was trying everything to find the original Twilighter plans and eventually did!
Hope this helps : )
Old May 14, 2010, 01:22 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,731 Posts
Thanks.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:18 PM
USA, WA, Ellensburg
Joined Mar 2004
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinhh View Post
FM has really messed up its plan listing. How about RCM?
I find it hard to find plans from Flying Models magazine. They have a PDF of their catalog but do not list all of the plans that are available. I was looking for the Windecker not too long ago. It was in the catalog but not available from an online order page. They did add that one for me but there were other plans I wanted as well. I ended up calling them as I wanted a L19 Bird Dog plan from 1960 (or was it 63) that they do not have nor do they have record of it (but it was printed in their magazine. The lady told me that if the vellum got screwed up they could not make any more and that is why some are no longer listed in their catalog. I do like their service though as they are always speedy and courteous.
Mooney_Driver is offline Find More Posts by Mooney_Driver
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:29 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,175 Posts
Back in the early 60's Flying Models used something called (I think) Sudden Service Plans service. I'm pretty sure that's not the correct name but for now it's what we will use.

Any how the plans service was headquartered in Long Island NY and IIRC (lots of guessing here) model designer Paul DelGatto was involved in it's operation. At any rate there was a fire which destroyed many of the vellum masters and turned those plans into just memories.

Best way to have any plans from that era is take the FM issue to a copy house and have them enlarge the plans. If you don't have the issue ask around here on a related forum and somebody will find them shortly.

You are right about FM's online plans catalog. It came on line with a rush but it seems they are dragging their feet putting all the back issue plans on site. A shame because there are a lot of attractive models in their archives waiting to be built with modern materials and propulsion.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:50 PM
USA, WA, Ellensburg
Joined Mar 2004
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52 View Post
Any how the plans service was headquartered in Long Island NY and IIRC (lots of guessing here) model designer Paul DelGatto was involved in it's operation. At any rate there was a fire which destroyed many of the vellum masters and turned those plans into just memories.
The gal did not comment on why the masters were no longer available or why they do not do like I do and scan the plan and piece it together with Photoshop and size it. That would make it much easer for them to fill orders but the operation does not seem to be very extensive. Personally I prefer FM to MAN but FM is quite a bit more money.

Quote:
Best way to have any plans from that era is take the FM issue to a copy house and have them enlarge the plans. If you don't have the issue ask around here on a related forum and somebody will find them shortly.
With the L19 plan I ended up buying the back issue on ebay and then scanning it. The background was hard to deal with but I did manage to get it scanned and sized and placed into one file (and one page) as I also added the template page (8.5x11 in the article) to the plan along with both halves of the wing. My problem is getting them printed as both copy and office supply places in town charge $1.50 per square foot and that makes plans very expensive.

Quote:
You are right about FM's online plans catalog. It came on line with a rush but it seems they are dragging their feet putting all the back issue plans on site. A shame because there are a lot of attractive models in their archives waiting to be built with modern materials and propulsion.
I do wish they would scan their back issues and make the plans digital. Then they would not need vellums...as long as their computer does not crash and no back up. I gather that they are running on a shoestring.

I usually just call them as a lot of the plans I have ordered have been from the 60's and 70's and not in their online order list. I do like their service though as it is speedy. I can not make that statement about several other places I have ordered plans from but FM has always been speedy and courteous.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:00 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,175 Posts
Flying Models is owned by Carsten's Publications which, besides FM, also publishes several other model mags such as railroad hobby stuff. I think perhaps the same staff works on the different magazines which waters down in depth knowledge on individual magazines. Or I could be wrong about that.
But, they do have a good product, one worth supporting.

Last year I purchased plans for an r/c sailplane called Mollymawk designed by Carl Lorper. If I would have cut a piece of balsa everytime I looked at the plans it would be built by now. Nice looker.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:59 PM
USA, WA, Ellensburg
Joined Mar 2004
206 Posts
Quote:
Flying Models is owned by Carsten's Publications which, besides FM, also publishes several other model mags such as railroad hobby stuff. I think perhaps the same staff works on the different magazines which waters down in depth knowledge on individual magazines. Or I could be wrong about that.
But, they do have a good product, one worth supporting.
I have been told in other threads that FM and Carstens is a small family operation. You are correct about the other Carstens publications. To my dismay, we no longer get Flying Models on the newstand. We do get MAN and I subscribe to it but will not renew it since I have seen no construction articles in MAN since I started getting it almost 2 years ago.

Quote:
Last year I purchased plans for an r/c sailplane called Mollymawk designed by Carl Lorper. If I would have cut a piece of balsa everytime I looked at the plans it would be built by now. Nice looker.
I have purchased plans from Flying Models twice. Both times it was mostly older plans from the 60's and 70's and do like the construction articles they have had in the past.

To get this somewhat back onto the subject that Cosmo started, I acquired a plan by Randy Randolph 3 or 4 years ago on ebay called "Mooney" and both plan sheets are labeled page 1 of 2 but one sheet is the fuselage and the other is the wing. I gather that it is an unpublished plan that Randy had. It is for 1/2A (.10 actually) size. I later found a second copy also on ebay and not sure why an unpublished plan would be in more than one person's hands and in different parts of the country from where Randy lived. I have watched the various threads that talk about Randy Randolph's plans and the Mooney does not appear. Someone suggested that it was the RCM Marooney but it is not! Not even close.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:38 PM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
880 Posts
That is very strange. Is it larger than the Marooney? Is it any more scale-like?
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait