HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2014, 05:59 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,711 Posts
Now to see how hard it'll be to get parts. Yes, ejector pins work great.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2014, 01:37 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,502 Posts
I am pretty well stocked up with parts, but I did notice I used the last flybar I had in my stash.
Well the 400 is back up and flying, and all repairs went well. The main shaft was not bent, and all electronics checked out good. For having the 400 fall that far, and only having minimal damage says something about how these helis are built.
You guys remember if something like this happens, and your helicopter is going down, lower the throttle to 0, and save your electronics.
I love these birds, and wish they would have stuck around longer, but I think one should be able to find parts for a while. They sure are fun to fly!!
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Jun 04, 2014, 02:12 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,711 Posts
Is the true cause the inner shaft breaking at the top, then? Weird it should do it mid flight.
Old Jun 04, 2014, 05:30 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,502 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what happened. I had just did a 180, and was going to start back towards me when I saw something come loose. Then the blades hit, and down she came. It was a slight delayed reaction from the time the shaft broke, and the blades hit. I know the rotor head was off, because of the blue paint on the flybar weight from hitting the boom. There is no way that weight would have hit the boom if the rotor head was still attached to the shaft. The flybar weight is what put the big dent in the boom - pretty crazy! Then the rotor head and flybar flew about 20 feet from where the helicopter landed.The shaft broke where the 2 flat spots are on the shaft just below the setscrews. That would be the weakest part of the shaft, and I believe it was the original shaft that came with the extended head.
Old Jun 05, 2014, 06:27 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,711 Posts
Time for either the ejector pins or drill rod. I use drill rod on my CX2 and Lama 4 shafts.
Old Jul 03, 2014, 08:01 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,502 Posts
Darn weather hasn't let me do any sort of flying this summer! I had the super cub out twice at the air field, both times pretty windy. I have flown the champ twice in the backyard both times fairly windy. I've had the 400's out twice maybe 3 times when it's been pretty calm, but that's it. It's been raining like crazy around here, and when it's not one's mowing the lawn! ha,ha,ha Hopefully the weather will come around soon! YOU GUYS HAVE A GREAT 4TH!!
Old Jul 03, 2014, 02:14 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,711 Posts
My quad can take more wind than some heli's, but it's been too windy here too. I've only had the big guy out once so far.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 06:25 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,711 Posts
Bump.