SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 03, 2015, 05:55 AM
Find More Posts by nicherotors
Joined Nov 2005
77 Posts
Build Log
StevensAero - 1909 Demoiselle

Has anyone received their kits yet?

When you do, please post pictures here with your tips and tricks.

The instructions are so complete but it's always nice to see how people handle the same plane differently - and this little character should allow folks to exercise lots of imagination.

I've just been informed by the post office that my kit will arrive tomorrow - I only know because I had to pay for the import duty before it could be despatched. I've been very exited about this one ever since we were teased by Bill last year with the promo pics - this being the first of a series of six planes in the Great Race.

Having really enjoyed building and flying two Sweet Dreams in the last year I have high hopes for this one too.

I promised my flying buddy that I would move aside any other project on the building board when this Demoiselle arrives - so that's what I'm doing today; having a cleanup; this will take priority over the next few weeks. I only have a handful of modelling hours a week but will take my time and do the best job I can.

Will start posting pics tomorrow.

I look forward to seeing what mods and colour schemes other folks choose.

If you don't know what I'm talking about - the details can be found here:

http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAe...e-Toon-UM.html
nicherotors is offline Find More Posts by nicherotors
Last edited by nicherotors; Apr 03, 2015 at 08:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2015, 06:51 AM
Find More Posts by catrancher
Veni, Vidi, Napi
Cumming, GA
Joined Sep 2004
497 Posts
Working on mine. Have completed the fuselage and tail feathers so far. Wing is next. The only thing I'd do differently if I were to do it over would be to swap steps 28 and 29. I think it would be much easier to get the F19 pieces (landing gear wire retainers) installed before you install the F18 rudder pedals.

Just my two cents.

Tom
catrancher is online now Find More Posts by catrancher
Old Apr 03, 2015, 05:15 PM
Joined Nov 2005
77 Posts
Good spot - I see what you mean.

Have you painted your frame yet? Any pics?
Old Apr 04, 2015, 08:16 AM
Find More Posts by catrancher
Veni, Vidi, Napi
Cumming, GA
Joined Sep 2004
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicherotors View Post
Have you painted your frame yet? Any pics?
Yep. A couple of pictures. I used some old Floquil Flo-Stain Walnut I had laying around on the frame and Floquil Flo-Stain Driftwood on the seat. This was from my old stash of model railroad paints I had laying around. Not completely happy with it but it'll do.

Thought of one other thing to be aware of. When you get down to the tail surfaces (step 31 through 35), be very careful in step 31 sanding the laser burn off the edges. The very tips of the vertical and horizontal stabilizers have tiny holes right at the very tips. This makes the tips prone to sanding damage if you get too zealous. I took a bit of thin CA and saturated the tips first to try to prevent any damage. I'll have to use a small wire drill to clean out the holes before I rig it.

Tom
catrancher is online now Find More Posts by catrancher
Old Apr 04, 2015, 09:28 AM
Joined Nov 2005
77 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. I like the contrasting colours you have choosen - certainly looking vintage.

As promised, my postman delivered today.

Just thought I'd show folks what you get for the money - it's been said a thousand times before; the wood quality in these kits is lovely and consistent and the thinness of the laser cut is very narrow - in my experience not all laser cuts are the same in life!

Having built other Stevens kits, the first thing I noticed is that the quality of the instructions have gone up a gear. The outer sleeve of the instructions feels thicker and glossier as does the piece of paper with the promo picture.

For a little extra expense, as shown in the pictures, I also bought the pilot figure and racing numbers. How could you buy this kit and not get the right pilot?? Will be lots of fun putting the stickers on - but at least they are cut to shape already.

I'm still undecided what colour to paint my frame - thinking a dull red to be different.

Thanks for the tip about strengthening the rigging holes on the tail feathers.
Last edited by nicherotors; Apr 04, 2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2015, 07:22 AM
Joined Nov 2005
77 Posts
I read all the instructions before starting. In Step 77 I realised that there are a couple of spare holes in F10 that are used to support the control rods. I understand why - to allow the item to be installed either way round.

Being somewhat obsessive about such things I cut one off and filled the other.

Now I need to make sure I glue in position correctly when the time comes!
Old Apr 06, 2015, 07:27 AM
Joined Nov 2005
77 Posts
Having now cut and lightly sanded all the items required to get to Step 19 I thought we would have a weight in.

So far - in this photo not a single drop of glue has been used.

Soon I'll be able to see how much my glue and paint weigh.
Old Apr 06, 2015, 10:27 AM
Joined Nov 2005
77 Posts
Each component has been painted as an individual item - I thought that this was the best way to get good coverage without adding too much weight. Having spray painted frames before I've found it too easy to add unnecessary weight in an endeavour to get paint on the inside.

Looks like this step has only cost .25g.
Last edited by nicherotors; Apr 06, 2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2015, 01:16 PM
Joined Nov 2005
77 Posts
I taped the frame upside down so that it was flat on my cutting mat. It was then easy enough using a couple of set squares to line everything up prior to applying the glue.

Have only used rattle cans so far - dull red for the top and red/ brown for the underside.

So far I'm very happy with the fit of all the parts - a very clever design. I know it seems like this is based on the Sweet Dreams but I don't think I've found any interchangeable parts. This looks a very original design well thought through.
Old Apr 07, 2015, 12:07 AM
IWC
Find More Posts by IWC
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,929 Posts
Nice
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Apr 07, 2015, 01:28 AM
Find More Posts by Lazic
Serbia
Joined Jan 2015
55 Posts
Looks great, go on, I'm subscribed!

Lazic
Lazic is offline Find More Posts by Lazic
Old Apr 07, 2015, 03:24 PM
Joined Nov 2005
77 Posts
I don't have much time in the weekday evenings but I've been itching to apply the pilot stickers.

If this tip saves the life of one pilot then it will be worth it!

I've found that these stickers from Stevens are really sticky and need to be applied right the first time.

So, I have access to a marble kitchen surface and made sure it was clean.

I then went around the edge of the decal with my thumb and forefinger just easing the edge of the decal to lift - this makes sure that the cut has gone all the way through and makes the final peel of the decal trouble free withough a crease.

Once free, the decal was placed face down on the work surface.

I then attached some masking tape to act as a handle on the back of the plywood.

Holding the masking tape allowed me to carefully and slowly drop the plywood from above onto the decal with clear view of the outline. Right first time.

I'm thinking about using the DuBro wheels but recognise they will be heavier than those included in the kit - still undecided.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:32 AM
Joined Nov 2005
77 Posts
Whichever wheels I go for I wanted a little bit of camber - as per the full size which I think adds a bit of character.

So, I've inserted a bent (more like kinked!) aluminium tube and placed it discretely into the axle holders.

I enjoyed doing the same with my two Sweet Dreams.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:43 AM
Joined Nov 2005
77 Posts
I'm still practicing the art of designing and making brass etchings.

For fun I thought I would have a go at fabricating an alternative chair for my pilot.

The brass is 6 thou (~0.15mm) so quite thin because as ever, I'm concerned about the weight penalty.

As it happens, the weight penalty isn't too much and I like the way it makes it look a bit more steampunk - and it polishes up nicely too!

Because this pilot is French and very patriotic I've painted his seat cushion red, white and blue.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by BlazingStar
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,276 Posts
Glad to see this.
It will be a pretty plane.
My Sweet Dream version is very aptly named and I bet you'll love this one too!
BlazingStar is offline Find More Posts by BlazingStar