Find More Posts by GPT
GPT
Sydney,Australia
Joined Dec 2004
1,603 Posts
Discussion
3dhs Slick 51, 48 EF Edge and MXS

Hi All

Have been flying the 48 EF Edge and MXS for a few years and thinking of something different.would like to know from those that have flown the 51 Slick how it compares to the other two.
GPT is offline Find More Posts by GPT
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:36 PM
Find More Posts by Motojunk
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
745 Posts
Those are the most current planes I've been flying & I'd have to say that the Slick feels a lot like a combination of the two. It has more of a floaty and slippery feel to it than the EF planes, but it is an absolute blast to fly. It does just about everything well. I will surely be replacing mine when I get the opportunity.
Motojunk is offline Find More Posts by Motojunk
Old Dec 20, 2013, 01:07 PM
Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
5,031 Posts
The 51'' slick is a great 3D machine. The only reason i do not fly it right now is due to my batteries being bad after three years of use. And my servos need to go back to hitec. It is a really fun bird, it does not fly as precise as an extra, but is better than an edge if that makes sense. Do yourself a favor, and get the Motrolfly from the start. I flew with the hacker for 3 years and it is not a bad motor, but the Motrolfly is just Awesome.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Dec 20, 2013, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by Motojunk
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
The 51'' slick is a great 3D machine. The only reason i do not fly it right now is due to my batteries being bad after three years of use. And my servos need to go back to hitec. It is a really fun bird, it does not fly as precise as an extra, but is better than an edge if that makes sense. Do yourself a favor, and get the Motrolfly from the start. I flew with the hacker for 3 years and it is not a bad motor, but the Motrolfly is just Awesome.
+1 on the Motrolfly. Gobs of power for that plane. That's actually going on my 48" MXS now, when I get the servos for it.

The Slick is a really smooth flying, well rounded plane to me. It'll draw nice lines, do low & slow 3D, high energy tumbles, quick snaps, amazing pop-tops & blenders like the MXS, and the way the tail drops out when you yank on the elevator... man I miss that plane. It transitions through the maneuvers nicely. I'll be honest in that I didn't like it at first, coming from the EF planes which have a sort of "locked in" feel to me, but once I started getting comfortable with it, it quickly grew to be one of my favorites. You certainly won't be disappointed. Here's one of the last vids I got of mine before I wrecked it. A little bit of precision mixed with some 3D stuff.

3DHS 51" Slick Sunset Huck (5 min 14 sec)
Motojunk is offline Find More Posts by Motojunk
Old Dec 20, 2013, 02:53 PM
GPT
Find More Posts by GPT
GPT
Sydney,Australia
Joined Dec 2004
1,603 Posts
Agree on the motrolfly , would use a 3615.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 03:15 PM
Find More Posts by AeroKen
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
2,011 Posts
So as long as we're comparing planes, anyone flown both the 51" Slick and the EF 48" Laser?
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Dec 20, 2013, 03:34 PM
Find More Posts by Vince_TT
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,224 Posts
I do, the Laser gives me more confidence in KE, the 51 is easier to recover from extremely dumb maneuvers. YMMV.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Dec 20, 2013, 04:15 PM
Find More Posts by Mmarshall
Hey... watch this...
Herndon, Virginia, United States
Joined Feb 2003
787 Posts
I have flow the EF 48 Edge and still have my 51 Slick.

One major thing to consider is the Slick looks and feels much larger then the 3'' difference in wingspan.

I could go down a list of things I like from both planes but suffice it to say I sold my Edge and still fly my 51 Slick.. I liked it so much I got a 71''!
Mmarshall is offline Find More Posts by Mmarshall
Old Dec 20, 2013, 06:32 PM
Find More Posts by AeroKen
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
2,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
I do, the Laser gives me more confidence in KE, the 51 is easier to recover from extremely dumb maneuvers. YMMV.
Sounds like I need both :-)
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Dec 21, 2013, 08:44 PM
GPT
Find More Posts by GPT
GPT
Sydney,Australia
Joined Dec 2004
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmarshall View Post
I have flow the EF 48 Edge and still have my 51 Slick.

One major thing to consider is the Slick looks and feels much larger then the 3'' difference in wingspan.

I could go down a list of things I like from both planes but suffice it to say I sold my Edge and still fly my 51 Slick.. I liked it so much I got a 71''!
That's one thing that I liked was going up a size and only having to get one size larger servos and a Motrolfly 3615 Already have a 60 amp esc ,4S 3000 and 4S 2200 batteries. I had been thinking a 60 EF Edge but the cost to outfit it turned me off.