SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM
Find More Posts by SirPoonga
Joined Apr 2014
86 Posts
Well, you guys convinced me. I will do the hack. My DM9 can go on my other Taranis I got in on that bangood deal for the plus. That will become my main radio. My current Taranis will become a trainer and a second radio in case a friend wants to fly with me. The DM9 can go in that and the dsmx hack in the plus.
SirPoonga is offline Find More Posts by SirPoonga
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM
Find More Posts by EugeneFlorida
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
779 Posts
Will eagle tree OSD Pro work with Taranis Plus and LR12 Rec.
Is the LR12 rec a PCM/FS:

This is what ET said:
Choose Receiver Type: Sets the type of Radio/Receiver you are using. There are two options. PPM/No FS: this option should be chosen if your
receiver stops controlling the servos if you turn off your radio (the servos no longer are held in one position, and/or start moving randomly).
PCM/FS: this option should be chosen if your receiver holds the last servo position (or goes into a failsafe position) when the radio is turned off.
Most, but not all, 2.4GHz radios (such as SpektrumTM and FutabaTM 2.4GHz radios) are PCM. Also, PCM mode should be selected for most “long
range” FPV radio links. If you are unsure of the mode, turn off your radio transmitter, and gently move one of the servo arms while the receiver
is still powered. If the servo moves without resistance and stays in the new position, or your servos start moving randomly, select “PPM/No FS”
receiver mode. Otherwise, choose the “PCM/FS” mode.

Thanks for the Help
EugeneFlorida is offline Find More Posts by EugeneFlorida
Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM
Find More Posts by Dave McDonald
Pro Bro 415
USA, MO, Eldon
Joined Sep 2003
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPoonga View Post
Well, you guys convinced me. I will do the hack. My DM9 can go on my other Taranis I got in on that bangood deal for the plus. That will become my main radio. My current Taranis will become a trainer and a second radio in case a friend wants to fly with me. The DM9 can go in that and the dsmx hack in the plus.
Instead of building one hack module and putting the DM9 in your other Taranis, I'd highly recommend building two hack modules, then selling the DM9. You won't be happy with the DM9 after using the hack module.
Dave McDonald is offline Find More Posts by Dave McDonald
Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM
Find More Posts by Noircogi
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Feb 2013
2,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneFlorida View Post
Will eagle tree OSD Pro work with Taranis Plus and LR12 Rec.
Is the LR12 rec a PCM/FS:

This is what ET said:
Choose Receiver Type: Sets the type of Radio/Receiver you are using. There are two options. PPM/No FS: this option should be chosen if your
receiver stops controlling the servos if you turn off your radio (the servos no longer are held in one position, and/or start moving randomly).
PCM/FS: this option should be chosen if your receiver holds the last servo position (or goes into a failsafe position) when the radio is turned off.
Most, but not all, 2.4GHz radios (such as SpektrumTM and FutabaTM 2.4GHz radios) are PCM. Also, PCM mode should be selected for most “long
range” FPV radio links. If you are unsure of the mode, turn off your radio transmitter, and gently move one of the servo arms while the receiver
is still powered. If the servo moves without resistance and stays in the new position, or your servos start moving randomly, select “PPM/No FS”
receiver mode. Otherwise, choose the “PCM/FS” mode.

Thanks for the Help
The L9R does not have PPM, it has S.Bus instead.

It has failsafe on all channels.

You can either connect the PWM outputs of the L9R to the PWM inputs for each channel on the OSD Pro, or use an Frsky S.Bus to PPM converter between the S.Bus output of the L9R and the PPM input of the OSD Pro. Personally, I'd just connect the individual channels as I believe the latency will be lower that way.

Set failsafe values as you normally would with the Taranis. For OSD pro, I found it to works best configured for "single channel" failsafe (on the OSD Pro side) and set your failsave to have an extra-low PWM value for throttle (around 950uS).
Noircogi is online now Find More Posts by Noircogi
Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM
Find More Posts by Dave McDonald
Pro Bro 415
USA, MO, Eldon
Joined Sep 2003
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by locoworks View Post
thanks for all the helpful replies folks. I have a fairly newish DX5e that came with my RTF eflite apprentice so that can be the sacrificial lamb for this project.

edit:: having read the first part of the link in 2 of the above replies I am thinking I will only end up with a 6 channel module using the DX5e as a donor?? a few less than my DM9. would I need the module from a DX9 to get a 9 channel module???
Yes, the hack module is limited to 6 channels.

The Spektrum DM9 module and the Spektrum DM9 transmitter are not the same thing. The RF deck inside the Spektrum DM9 transmitter is not compatible with the hack module. Only the RF decks from the DX4e, DX5e, and DX6i will give you full range DSM2 and DSMX.
Dave McDonald is offline Find More Posts by Dave McDonald
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by SirPoonga
Joined Apr 2014
86 Posts
Do you still get 6ch with the dx4e. I assume same board just what they use in each tx.
SirPoonga is offline Find More Posts by SirPoonga
Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM
Find More Posts by dfruehwald
WZ9V, AMA 409852
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Jan 2007
1,503 Posts
Yes. My module came from a DX4e and it has all six channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPoonga View Post
Do you still get 6ch with the dx4e. I assume same board just what they use in each tx.
dfruehwald is offline Find More Posts by dfruehwald
Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM
Find More Posts by Violet Wolf
Rick / Phobotic/Famous Dealer
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Apr 2013
1,442 Posts
Would it be safe to mount my X8R antennas about six inches from my GPS puck? It would be below the puck. I'm really cramped for space on this build.

I'll do some testing of course but I would like to hear other's thoughts.
Violet Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Violet Wolf
Last edited by Violet Wolf; Yesterday at 10:37 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM
Find More Posts by Noircogi
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Feb 2013
2,056 Posts
It shouldn't be an issue at all. I'd just keep the X8R antennas away from the GPS receiver since they also transmit telemetry back. I have a few multirotors with D4R-II receivers less than an inch from the GPS antenna.
Noircogi is online now Find More Posts by Noircogi
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM
Find More Posts by Violet Wolf
Rick / Phobotic/Famous Dealer
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Apr 2013
1,442 Posts
Oh shoot that's what I meant. I will have to mount my X8R antennas within 6 inches of the GPS antenna.. I've edited my post to reflect that.
Violet Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Violet Wolf
Old Today, 03:47 AM
Find More Posts by marhar
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Futaba makes a module, it can be bought, it will work. Too bad it costs about as much as your Taranis and was not sold in the USA. Better off selling the receivers and you will be able to buy twice as many FrSky units from the sales.

-Wayne
This is true. I got a couple of Futaba receivers in a swap, and made out like a bandit when I sold them on ebay!
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Today, 08:59 AM
Find More Posts by showmaster
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2006
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Wolf View Post
Oh shoot that's what I meant. I will have to mount my X8R antennas within 6 inches of the GPS antenna.. I've edited my post to reflect that.

Usually to avoid having the antenna interact with its surroundings that may detune it, or make It more directive, it's recommended that it be separated by several wavelengths. For 2.4g a wavelength is aprox 4.92 in, .125 meters.
Then there's the the option of doing your best and see how it goes. Any modifying of the antenna pattern or it picking up rf noise from being too close to radiated data pulses, will have an effect on your max range. What that is will be found out when you fly it.
showmaster is online now Find More Posts by showmaster