Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:50 AM
Find More Posts by coreman
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,677 Posts
Discussion
Flat Foamie Series from RA Cores

We have started selling our EPP and Depron flat foamie planes and I am getting several questions and great hints back from customers. I would like to use this as a common area for people to discuss the kits. The first kit in the series is our version of the popular Leadfeather Yak55

our page of the kits is at http://www.racores.com/FlatFoamies.html
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:10 AM
Find More Posts by pondside
pondside
Sutton, Ma.
Joined Aug 2010
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
We have started selling our EPP and Depron flat foamie planes and I am getting several questions and great hints back from customers. I would like to use this as a common area for people to discuss the kits. The first kit in the series is our version of the popular Leadfeather Yak55

Great idea Jim, my experience, as well as others who are beginners/intermediate spend more time fixing rather than learning. Alan and Scott have some great ideas to make the planes more durable, more time flying, less time fixing.

Bob
pondside is offline Find More Posts by pondside
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:19 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondside View Post
Great idea Jim, my experience, as well as others who are beginners/intermediate spend more time fixing rather than learning. Alan and Scott have some great ideas to make the planes more durable, more time flying, less time fixing.

Bob
and a customer's success and enjoyment is the best advertising.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2012, 12:10 PM
Find More Posts by etheli
ETFD2 Creator
Worcester, MA
Joined Feb 2007
325 Posts
We've been having a lot of fun flying streamer combat with the 28" EPP Yaks, both at the field and in the Auburn dome. Jim's kits make it really easy to put one together. The more the merrier...

--ET
etheli is offline Find More Posts by etheli
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:55 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etheli View Post
We've been having a lot of fun flying streamer combat with the 28" EPP Yaks, both at the field and in the Auburn dome. Jim's kits make it really easy to put one together. The more the merrier...

--ET
yep, and Alan's technique with the spiderwire that he used on the plane Chris was flying seems to work very well. Even with the head on impact he had with me, he cracked the wing but it didn't separate and he kept flying. I am hoping he can explain how he did it here.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:37 PM
Find More Posts by Teambarger
USA, MA, Townsend
Joined Jan 2008
52 Posts
I am getting pretty good at bouncing the Yak off the ground so maybe I can give some crashing tips. 1st tip : Watch Jim fly and don't do what he does !
Teambarger is offline Find More Posts by Teambarger
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:26 AM
Find More Posts by canyon
Joined Feb 2009
294 Posts
Being new to foamies, I see the yak has some rods for bracing, do these come with the kits? If not what are they and can I get them at a hobby shop?
canyon is offline Find More Posts by canyon
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:17 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teambarger View Post
I am getting pretty good at bouncing the Yak off the ground so maybe I can give some crashing tips. 1st tip : Watch Jim fly and don't do what he does !
Well, I did see you fly into the wall while you were busy watching MY plane...oh wait, that was me. There is that walk of shame across the field to pick it up and toss it back in the air.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by coreman; Feb 05, 2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:27 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyon View Post
Being new to foamies, I see the yak has some rods for bracing, do these come with the kits? If not what are they and can I get them at a hobby shop?
for our kit we decided to use the foam diagonal bracing for the tail. It stiffens the tail just about as much and is a lot easier to install. If you are meaning the wing and tail spars and the pushrods, those are included in the kit, as are the plywood horns and motor mount. You really just need glue and tools to build the kit (and we sell UHU also for the EPP construction)

Check out our online instructions to see the build process and everything in there is included in the kit. And all the electronics (motor/ESC/Servos) are available in the Completer kit we also sell so you can build a receiver ready version out of the parts we sell for cheap money.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by aero1960
Joined Sep 2010
166 Posts
If I fly the Yak 55 EPP version outside with a 1300 motor, what battery should I get with 3s lipo and how long should it last?
aero1960 is offline Find More Posts by aero1960
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:30 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero1960 View Post
If I fly the Yak 55 EPP version outside with a 1300 motor, what battery should I get with 3s lipo and how long should it last?
You should get 10-15 minutes with a 1000mah but it depends on what you do for maneuvers. Shorter if you do a lot of hovering or WOT stuff. I'm getting 6+ minutes indoors with 460mah nanotechs at the moment. Depends on how you prop it. I'm using a HD8040 GWS personally and last year I flew them outside that way last summer. My batteries had been drooping a little after 2 years of near continuous use and the new ones are giving me plenty of power and time
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:15 PM
Find More Posts by Budsdream
Joined Jul 2007
1 Posts
Quote:

I built RACores EPP YAK 55. The only change I made to the instructions is I used DU-BRO Mini E/Z Connectors to set up the control surfaces. It made the set up and adjustment very easy.I had the maiden flight today at four kicks in Norfolk Ma. I used the following set up.
Ailerons
Low Rate: 1-inch (25mm) with 20% Expo (Up/Down)
High Rate: 2-inch (50mm) with 40% Expo (Up/Down)
Elevator
Low Rate: 2-inch (50mm) with 20% Expo (Up/Down)
High Rate: 2 3/4-inch (70mm) with 45% Expo (Up/Down)
Rudder
3 1/2-inch (89mm) (Left/Right
I used all low rates.
I did find the EPP appears to change dimensions a lot out doors at 25F. The controls changed dramatically.
Budsdream is offline Find More Posts by Budsdream
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:11 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsdream View Post
I built RACores EPP YAK 55. The only change I made to the instructions is I used DU-BRO Mini E/Z Connectors to set up the control surfaces. It made the set up and adjustment very easy.I had the maiden flight today at four kicks in Norfolk Ma. I used the following set up.
Ailerons
Low Rate: 1-inch (25mm) with 20% Expo (Up/Down)
High Rate: 2-inch (50mm) with 40% Expo (Up/Down)
Elevator
Low Rate: 2-inch (50mm) with 20% Expo (Up/Down)
High Rate: 2 3/4-inch (70mm) with 45% Expo (Up/Down)
Rudder
3 1/2-inch (89mm) (Left/Right
I used all low rates.
I did find the EPP appears to change dimensions a lot out doors at 25F. The controls changed dramatically.
You are right on the EZ Connectors, they are just too expensive to put a retail package into the kit. I have used them myself in the past and like them. interesting observation on the EPP size change
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2012, 05:23 AM
Find More Posts by brandonbuck1
crash and burn
United States, MA, WILKINSONVILE
Joined Oct 2011
15 Posts
Thanks for all your help setting up my plane yesterday Jim. Its very much appreiciated. For cheap money you get a great flying plane. I'll be sure to order more in the future. Thanks again Jim.
brandonbuck1 is offline Find More Posts by brandonbuck1
Last edited by brandonbuck1; Mar 03, 2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 06:02 AM
Find More Posts by Azarr
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,318 Posts
Quote:
You are right on the EZ Connectors, they are just too expensive to put a retail package into the kit. I have used them myself in the past and like them. interesting observation on the EPP size change
DUBRO has OEM bulk pricing.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr