New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:04 PM
Find More Posts by Leo L
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
3,004 Posts
Discussion
Flying in New York City

Once again the actions of one foolish flyer have gotten us thrown out of the local park. In New York City flying is permitted in only two locations: RC flying in Flloyd Benett Field in Brookly and control line in Flushing Meadow Park in Queens. In all of the other parks it is usually tolerated as long as no one complains. However, what usually happens is that one or two flyers will not be courteous of others and end up ruining flying for everyone.

I usually fly in Kissena Park in northern Queens, not far from the US Tennis Center and City Field, home of the NY Mets. Lately a very experienced heli flyer has been coming down. He has his heli set up for FPV and has done filming for some TV commercials with it. He decided to fly his heli over the park's lake in the middle of the day. The local Park Police have their headquarters on the edge of the lake. When the heli kept repeatedly flying past the building, the Captain had no recourse but to order the Park Police to go out and ticket all RC users. Two of my fellow flyers were ticketed yesterday, and another was almost ticketed at 6:45 am this morning, but luckily his hands had gotten cold so he was sitting in his car warming his hands when the police showed up. They made him pack up all of this planes and gear, but could not ticket him because he was not actually flying at the time. I got lucky. Normally i would have been flying when the police showed up, but I overslept and did not get to the field until 6:50am, a few minutes after the police left.

It's always good to have a back-up plan, so for the time being we have moved about 4 miles away to another field, an extension of Cunningham Park, at 73Ave and Francis Lewis Blvd. If anyone wants to fly in NYC early in the moring, be sure to drop by. We'll probably stay at this location for the rest of the winter, and eventually return to Kissena Park when the weather gets warmer and the Park Police cool down.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:02 AM
Find More Posts by LimitingFactor
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined May 2010
423 Posts
well thats sucks to hear, been meaning to drop by kissena to fly during the week. Gotta love those guys who ruin it for everyone. Did he get ticketed too or manage to escape while dropping you guys in it? Hope cunningham park works out, what time are you all usually out there?
LimitingFactor is offline Find More Posts by LimitingFactor
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:34 PM
Find More Posts by Leo L
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
3,004 Posts
He did not get ticketed. I don't personally know him because I fly only in the early mornings and he flys in the afternoons, but he is apparently well known, and not particularly liked, by the afternoon flyers.

I like to fly as early as possible, so I'll be at the field, weather permitting, at around 6:30am till about 8:00am, Saturday and Sunday. Most of the guys don't like to fly quite that early so they usually show up when I am nearing the end of my flying time. laast Saturday there were six flyers when I left, on Sunday there were three.

If you have a chance, stop by. The easiest way to get there is to take the Long Island Expressway to the Clearview Expressway South. Get off at the first exit which is 73Ave. When you get to the bottom of the ramp, the field will be directly in front of you.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:31 PM
Find More Posts by samolot
USA, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2005
202 Posts
I live in Battery Park, Manhattan.... fly in Staten Island (SIRCMC)... 21$ just to commute to and from... pain.

My solution? I bought a micro foamy (M-A-E Slick 3D) and fly at a small grassy patch surrounded by trees in Battery Park when no one is there. So far no trouble, but I fly when the place is absolutely deserted. The plane makes literally no noise. But yeah, to fly the big stuff, I really have to go out of my way... Thank god for Phoenix Sim and a good laptop.

City livin' blows.

Samolot
samolot is offline Find More Posts by samolot
Old Nov 18, 2010, 09:59 PM
Find More Posts by meanbaby
United States, PA, Mt Pocono
Joined Jul 2007
2,347 Posts
there is also another RC field in brooklyn, been there for over 40 years
RCSMP @ Marine park
www.rcsmp.com
quite a few electric flyers and gassers mix with a handfull of heli pilots also

-pete
meanbaby is offline Find More Posts by meanbaby
Old Dec 01, 2010, 12:18 AM
Find More Posts by skolir
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Nov 2010
15 Posts
Samolot, Which part in Battery Park. I usually fly my Hobbyzone Champ in my park in Brooklyn williamsburg, but I'm a frequent traveler to Lower East Side. I was planning to fly my champ and Wild Hawk near the Baseball field and Track field at Market and South St. But its next to the bridge, bad idea... Ive been flying my champ around my baseball field so far. But I'm too afraid to fly my Wild Hawk and my Airfield F35 there due to the lack of space. I might try going to Staten Island to fly. Because I dont have a car yet I dont want to carry my huge Planes around. People just stare and the eyes are unforgiving when they dont look away.
skolir is offline Find More Posts by skolir
Last edited by skolir; Dec 01, 2010 at 12:19 AM. Reason: typo
Old Dec 01, 2010, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by FranklinWalker
Joined Sep 2010
136 Posts
that's really sucks to hear. Yeah, people like staring at these large planes.[img]/sig/9/smile.gif[/img]
FranklinWalker is offline Find More Posts by FranklinWalker
Old Dec 01, 2010, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by skolir
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Nov 2010
15 Posts
10+ MPH Wind almost all week now =/. Anyone in Brooklyn around Greenpoint? If so lets go to McCaren Park and fly our planes around.
skolir is offline Find More Posts by skolir
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:17 PM
Find More Posts by omer921
The trees are my hangar
United States, NY, Queens County
Joined Dec 2010
343 Posts
Heyguys this is kinda late, but do any of you know an idol place which I can fly my micros. I prefer it to be in queens because I live their. Soon I will get a t-28d and start flying at kiddena park.
omer921 is offline Find More Posts by omer921
Old Jan 26, 2011, 05:04 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,347 Posts
every sunday @ West Babylon is open 12-4 indoor
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by LICobra
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanbaby View Post
every sunday @ West Babylon is open 12-4 indoor
mb...where in W. Babylon ???
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:48 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,347 Posts
let me see if this will upload

-pete
* ya it uploaded!!!
to see the size of it, i posted a youtube video i took over last weekend
w.babylon indoor (0 min 46 sec)
Old Jan 27, 2011, 02:44 PM
Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Joined Feb 2010
2,171 Posts
come on down to Texas...we have plenty of places for you to fly...
TexasClouds is offline Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Old Jan 28, 2011, 09:21 AM
Find More Posts by LICobra
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,679 Posts
MB....thanks for the info.....Im only 10 minutes away and didn't know there was any indoor flying in the local area....

I bet it's jam packed though....wonder how airplanes fly at one time....
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2011, 09:26 AM
Find More Posts by omer921
The trees are my hangar
United States, NY, Queens County
Joined Dec 2010
343 Posts
What do I need in order to fly in the west babylon gym
omer921 is offline Find More Posts by omer921