Old Jan 06, 2015, 06:01 PM
Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
3,378 Posts
Yippee!
2015 Pacific Northwest Aerotow Schedule

2015 is here! ...and if the recent weather patterns in the Northwest serve as any portent of the flying season to come, we are in for a great year of soaring. On that optimistic note, it's time to post the 2015 Pacific Northwest Aerotow Schedule, for all of us rabid aerotow junkies to consume and contribute to.

The aerotow events shown here are for the Pacific Northwest, i.e., the upper left corner of the USA, including western and eastern Washington, Oregon, Northern CA, and British Columbia. Other events, such as in southern California and the other western states, will also be included, for those who like to travel with their gliders. As the calendar matures, additional events will be added, and dates will be confirmed as firm commitments come in from the event hosts.

Please feel free to add new event alerts and updates to this thread on an ongoing basis. This is the place to ask for details, such as directions and accommodations and such, from our veteran attenders. All dates are subject to change, so check back here often for updates (I will keep the list of events up-to-date by editing this Post Number One as required). So let's start sending in those invites and announcements. See all you glider addicts at the segelflugschleppens throughout the 2015 season. --- Don Bailey, glider junkie

Yakima Spring Tug Fest, Glessner's Field, Yakima, WA, Gene Cope event host, April 24-26 (Fri-Sat-Sun)

Portland One-Day Aerotow, Salem OR, Jim Gibson CD, May 23rd (Sat)

Yakima Aerotow (16th Annual), Glessner's Field, Yakima, WA, Gene Cope CD, June 5-7 (Fri-Sat-Sun)

Portland One-Day Aerotow, Salem OR, Jim Gibson CD, June 13th (Sat)

Portland One-Day Aerotow, Salem OR, Jim Gibson CD, July 11th (Sat)

Monroe Aerotow (15th Annual), CMAA Field, Monroe WA, Don Bailey CD, July 24-26 (Fri-Sat-Sun)

Columbia Aerotow, Weaver Field, Othello WA, Wil Byers CD, July 31-Aug 2 (Fri-Sat-Sun)

Portland One-Day Aerotow, Salem OR, Jim Gibson CD, Aug 15th (Sat)

Mission BC Aerotow (14th Annual), Anderson Sod Farm, Doug Aldridge CD, Aug 21-23 (Fri-Sat-Sun)

Portland One-Day Aerotow, Salem OR, Jim Gibson CD, Sept 19th (Sat)

Last Chance Aerotow (5th Annual), Wenatchee WA, Dave Jensen CD, Oct 10-11 (Sat-Sun)

Portland One-Day Aerotow, Salem OR, Jim Gibson CD, Oct 3rd (Sat)
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Last edited by dgliderguy; Aug 30, 2015 at 08:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2015, 06:13 PM
Where's the lift?
Joined Mar 2001
3,378 Posts
Yakima Tug Fest April 24-26th

Gene Cope is announcing a Spring Warm-up at Glessner's Field in Yakima WA on the last weekend in April. Veteran and beginner tow pilots alike are invited. Here is your chance to knock the rust off that old tug (or break in your new one), in preparation for the 2015 season. Also, please bring a glider along if you can, so we will have something to tow. The weather should be incredibly lifty by this time in the season, with sunshine by day (and cold by night... campers bring your woolies).

Attached is the announcement flyer from Gene.
Old Jan 06, 2015, 06:21 PM
Where's the lift?
Joined Mar 2001
3,378 Posts
Yakima Aerotow 2015-- June 5-7th

The 16th Annual Yakima Aerotow will be held the first weekend in June this year. Bring your heavies for the strong lift, and your floaties for the warm morning bubbles. Guaranteed lift here at this site, folks. We mean it!

Plan on camping out, for maximum fun.

Invitational announcement from host Gene Cope is attached.
Old Jan 06, 2015, 06:24 PM
Where's the lift?
Joined Mar 2001
3,378 Posts
Richland WA Aerotow-- July 31-Aug 2

Wil Byers will be hosting an aerotow at the lovely Miniature Aircraft Airfield in Richland WA this August. Don't miss this one!

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mini...26!2d46.365173
Old Jan 06, 2015, 09:28 PM
Find More Posts by B@@mer
Joined Jun 2004
99 Posts
Super d should be ready and the junior red bull blanik is ready for some more hang time with you guys. New go pro this year. Looking forward to seeing you guys again
B@@mer is offline Find More Posts by B@@mer
Old Jan 07, 2015, 09:59 AM
Find More Posts by mogman
1/2 scale
Pitt Meadows. B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2006
189 Posts
I rebuilt the 111 in the Stick, new crank and rods, pistons, Bowman rings.
Shouldn't take long to get that dialed in. I'll also bring the big Berkfalke along.

See you in April.

Cheers,
Dave.
mogman is offline Find More Posts by mogman
Old Jan 07, 2015, 10:31 AM
Where's the lift?
Joined Mar 2001
3,378 Posts
Mission BC Aerotow-- Aug 21-23rd

Mission BC Aerotow will be held on August 21st thru 23rd this year at Anderson Sod Farm. Event host Doug Aldridge reminds me he has blocked out some hotel rooms at the Best Western in Mission:

"There are 5 double and 5 single rooms block booked for our group for the Friday and Saturday nights. $105/night (CDN) for singles - $110/night (CDN) for doubles."

Make your reservations for this one! Camping on the field is allowed for the more rustic among us. More info coming along shortly from Doug.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 06:30 PM
Find More Posts by Jim Gibson
Portland, OR
Joined Dec 2003
61 Posts
PASS 2015 Aerotow Details

The dates and location for our 2015 one day aerotows have been firmed up. We will be flying again this year off one of the turf fields at Willamette Turf in Salem, Oregon. See the attached flyer for dates, directions and contact information. Hope to see you at one of our events.

Jim
Jim Gibson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Gibson
Old Feb 01, 2015, 04:15 PM
Find More Posts by dang
USA, WA, Olympia
Joined Jan 2001
1,670 Posts
Hey guys,

Dan Rubin passed away last year. I just listed his Tom Augustine built Grunau over in the classifieds. I'd really like someone Dan flew aerotow with to have it. If nothing works out perhaps I'll see you in Yakima!

Thanks,
Dan Neelands
dang is offline Find More Posts by dang
Old Feb 01, 2015, 04:45 PM
Where's the lift?
Joined Mar 2001
3,378 Posts
Dan,

I am so sorry to hear about Dan Rubin's passing! We just flew aerotow with him last year, and I in particular enjoyed his company around the campfires at our past aerotows. Dan was a very perceptive and congenial personality, and it came as no surprise to me to discover that he spent his life as a counselor. I'm sure he touched many, many lives during his career.

I will help in any way I can to find a good home for Dan's beautiful Grunau, hopefully here in the Northwest, so it can continue to fly with those who knew Dan and who will fondly remember him.

Don Bailey
Old Feb 01, 2015, 05:05 PM
Find More Posts by dang
USA, WA, Olympia
Joined Jan 2001
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgliderguy View Post
Dan,

I am so sorry to hear about Dan Rubin's passing! We just flew aerotow with him last year, and I in particular enjoyed his company around the campfires at our past aerotows. Dan was a very perceptive and congenial personality, and it came as no surprise to me to discover that he spent his life as a counselor. I'm sure he touched many, many lives during his career.

I will help in any way I can to find a good home for Dan's beautiful Grunau, hopefully here in the Northwest, so it can continue to fly with those who knew Dan and who will fondly remember him.

Don Bailey
Thanks Don,

Dan's passing kind of spun me out so your simple but eloquent words are well received. I'll have some other aerotow planes of his at Monroe but nothing that lit up Dan's eyes like the Grunau.

Dan N.
dang is offline Find More Posts by dang
Old Mar 27, 2015, 04:15 PM
Find More Posts by justhuman
Let me fly in Green Air
United States, WA, Union Gap
Joined Aug 2008
189 Posts
Tug Fest reminder

Tug Fest 2015 is just a few weeks out. This is just a reminder to get some new fuel mixed up and start charging the batteries.
For those who have not flown at Disappointment Field I have attach a few photos taken with a keybob camera from my DG1000 today after mowing the short strips.
The main runway is 85ft wide and 1940ft long with two300ft airstrips.
The thermals are really good most of the time and at times even breathtaking. So bring some sailplanes along with your tugs, if you have them. With the dryer Winter this year there should be warmer conditions and fantastic lift by late April.
If a few adventurist soaring pilots show up they are more than welcomed to use the air above the field.
Gene
gliderflyer@gmail.com
justhuman is offline Find More Posts by justhuman
Old Apr 12, 2015, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by B@@mer
Joined Jun 2004
99 Posts
My wife and I are hopping into a full scale blanik that weekend out in hope we should make the next one though we hope.
B@@mer is offline Find More Posts by B@@mer
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:53 PM
Find More Posts by mogman
1/2 scale
Pitt Meadows. B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2006
189 Posts
I'll be there on Thursday afternoon. Leaving home later in the morning so as not to get caught in the 405 rush hour (again!)

Cheers,
Dave.
mogman is offline Find More Posts by mogman
Old Apr 21, 2015, 08:03 PM
Find More Posts by isomvi
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2009
28 Posts
Tug Fest 2015

I'm planning to be there Friday morning till Sunday
Looking foreword to see you all .
Ivan.