Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
3,333 Posts
Build Log
Park Scale Models Gannet Flying Boat

Greetings All

Two years ago at the NEAT Fair I picked up a Park Scale Models Mini Drake kit from Zeke. I passed the kit onto my flying buddy Ron and he built it up. It is a delightful flyer and we have had many nice flights with it.

At the NEAT Fair this past fall I picked up one of Zeke's new gannet kits. It is a slightly larger and longer type design when compared to the Mini Drake. Kinda looks like a lot of the flying boats the late Don McGovern designed back in the 60's and early 70's.

The Gannet has a wingspan of about 28", weighs in at 5 to 6 oz and is powered bu the ubiquitous 1811/2000 10 gram outrunner on 2 cells you see in Zeke's Whim series of kits. This is a great little motor and it is frankly amazing what size aircraft you can fly with it.

I usually like to have several builds going on at any given time so when I get stuck on something or get a bit bored I can move on to something else. I am currently working on Pat Tritles P-3 Orion and Keith Sparks OV-1 Mohawk so I decided I needed a quick break for a fun relaxing build.

So this afternoon I shoveled off the building board and got started. As is typical with Zekes kits there are no plans, just a very well thought out and illustrated build manual. All the parts are nicely laser cut and they all fit together well. Almost to the point where you can open the kit bag, throw in a bottle of glue, shake and a completed airframe falls out. Almost but not quite!!

First step is to glue up the battery tray and attached formers. They all lock together well so after checking with a small triangle the sub assembly is glued up. The tray is then fitted to both fuselage sides along a couple of other formers and the servo tray. It is tacked at a few spots, a few more formers added and the fuselage checked for straightness and then it is glued up. A few formers and cross pieces are added at the front end at this time.

The rear bottom and step sheeting is glued up from several pieces and then the bottom sheeting is glued in place. It is somewhat oversized so after the glue has dried it is sanded flush with the fuselage sides. A former is then glued to the bottom sheeting to help form the step. This is the first boo boo I have run into as there is supposed to be a slot cut into the bottom sheeting pieces S2 for the former to fit into but my kit did not have the slot. It was simple enough to figure out the location of the former so after cutting the tab off it was glued in place, the step was then glued to the former, rear and bottom sheeting and the step sheeting added and sanded.

The front bottom sheeting was assembled from several laser cut pieces and glued in place and sanded to match the sides. The battery access hatch is laminated from two pieces, a rare earth magnet is glued in at the front and its outer edges sanded to match the fuselage sizes also.

The above work took about 2 hours while watching Swamp People on the History Channel, so I wasn't working all that hard.

Next steps are to add the top rear sheeting and make up and install the nose block and sand that to shape.

Few pictures follow.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2014, 02:37 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
3,333 Posts
Greetings All

Well I have managed to get most of the framing of the Gannet done.

Spent some time getting the front nose and rear decking sheeting glued up and in place. Once glued in place it was sanded to match the sides. The front window sheeting was also added along with the ply wing hold down hook.

The front nose block is made up of a number of pieces of laser cut 1/4" balsa. They were glued up, glued to the nose and attacked with the sanding bar and sandpaper until the nose shape looked OK.

Decided to make up the motor pod next. If any of you have built Zekes Mini Drake the pod design seems to close to identical to the Mini Drake. It consists of a balsa firewall with two inner pod pieces that interlock into each other and then get glued to the firewall. The next step is to attach the motor mount to the firewall. Zeke laser etches some alignment marks on the face of the firewall to get everything lined up. Some 2-56 screws do the trick. I ran the screws in, backed them out and put a small drop of thin CA into each screw hole to harden the threads and then remounted the motor mount.

The four 1/16" balsa sides go on next, followed by two balsa nose pieces. A bit of sanding and rounding on the nose and we are done.

The pylon mount is made up next. It has a cross grain brace that is glued in place and then the edges are rounded. A quick fit up check and we are done. The pylon mount and pod are not glued together yet so they can be covered easier.

Next step is the two wing tip floats. They consist of a 1/16" ply core, a 1/16" top and bottom piece and two 3/16" sides. They just all fall together and after a bit of sanding, they are done.

The wings are similar to Zekes smaller Whim series. They consist of two pieces that are glued together to form the panel and a number of ribs plus LE and TE doublers. After gluing the panel pieces together, the ribs are glued in place at the rear and are rolled into the rest of the panel and glued. Quick and easy. There are two additional ribs that are glued to one of the ribs to form a pocket for the tip float mount and then a 1/16" balsa piece is glued over the ribs. Some LE and TE doublers are added and the panels are done.

My panels both had a bit of a bow in them so I hit them with some Windex and pinned them to the board to flatten them out. Once they are dry the wing center section spars/rib assembly can be made up and the panels joined and sanded.

I installed the servos into the fuselage. An E mail from Zeke indicated that he has made a slight design change in the location of the servo tray to correct a small balance issue, so if someone builds a Gannet your tray location will be more forward than what I have as I have one of the initial kits. No big deal, will just use a slightly larger battery if needed. He also noted that he had caught the issue with the slot for former F7 and has corrected that.

One suggestion, when building the fuselage install the servos on the tray before gluing the tray in place. Much easier to do. I have also installed some Dubro micro pushrod plastic sleeves for the pushrod wires from Former F5 to the rear exit pints at the tail. Bit neater.

So when the wing panels dry I will get them assembled and then we are at sanding, waterproofing and covering time!!

Pictures follow.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I sw I flew
Old Dec 10, 2014, 07:14 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
3,333 Posts
Greetings All

Popped the wing panels off the building board this evening and the Windex got just about all of the bow out of each panel so we are good to go. Any remaining can be taken out with the covering.

Assembled the wing panels using the center rib and the two dihedral braces. Once everything was glued up I shaped and sanded the leading edge so the wing is about done.

All the framing is done at this point so it is time for some sanding and waterproofing. Then covering time!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:21 PM
Find More Posts by Petem
If it flies - I want one!
Australia, VIC, Werribee
Joined Jul 2008
1,425 Posts
Looking good!

Going together quickly and looking the goods, Brian!
Is this kit still available?
Cheers,
Pete
Petem is offline Find More Posts by Petem
Old Dec 11, 2014, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by Wormboy
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
1,135 Posts
Nice one Brian

I very nearly pulled the trigger on the Gannet but ended up with the drake instead and am looking forward to building it over the holiday period.

I'm very impressed with the speed with which your build is going together.
How many hours to-date?

-Mat-
Wormboy is offline Find More Posts by Wormboy
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:40 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
3,333 Posts
Pete and Mat

Thanks for the kind comments. The kit is available from Zeke at his Park Scale Models Web Site.

Have about 6 to 7 hours in it so far. Mostly off and on while watching the idiot box. If you really worked hard at it you could probably get it all framed up in 2 hrs.

The Mini Drake is also a great flyer, easy to build and you will enjoy it.

My flying buddy Ron has enlarged the design to about 36" span or so. We have flown it a few times and it is very nice also.

Couple of great designs from Zeke. Have seen a bunch of the Mini Drakes at NEAT and other fields.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Old Dec 11, 2014, 02:08 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
3,333 Posts
Did a bit more work on the Gannet today. Soldered up the bullets on the outrunner and Thunderbird 6 ESC and tested them out.

Also made a couple of holes for the wing hold down dowel (1/8") that goes in aft of the wing. made up the holes and cut the dowel to length and slid it in place to check fit, etc. Also sanded the elevator halves and glued them together with a short piece of 1/16" carbon fiber rod. Also rounded the edges on the stab, fin and rudder.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Old Dec 14, 2014, 07:10 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
3,333 Posts
Did some detail sanding on the Gannet last night while watching Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Trying to decided what to use for waterproofing, probably some clear nitrate or maybe a few coats of Balsarite. We shall see.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Old Dec 15, 2014, 07:30 PM
Find More Posts by flying jeep
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,105 Posts
I've built the Mini Drake, but I have yet to install the radio. What do you plan on using for control rods?
Jay
flying jeep is offline Find More Posts by flying jeep
Old Dec 15, 2014, 08:00 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
3,333 Posts
I will probably use the Dubro Micro pushrod system which includes a plastic outer sheath and a 1/32" music wire pushrod that goes inside the sheath.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Old Dec 16, 2014, 06:19 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,105 Posts
So tiny! That will be a joy to install. Are they adjustable?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 01:05 PM
Find More Posts by RV Winkle
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Aug 2013
477 Posts
Hey FJ,
how was the build on the mini-drake? I have been looking at them and thinking about it
RV Winkle is offline Find More Posts by RV Winkle
Old Dec 17, 2014, 06:40 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Winkle View Post
Hey FJ,
how was the build on the mini-drake? I have been looking at them and thinking about it
It's a cute little bird. I loved building it as it took very little time, and it came together with no issues. I did cover with very light film and tried to not over tighten it. Although the way it blows here in Indiana, I may get one take off then never see it again. I think there was a build forum here at one time.
Jay
Old Dec 24, 2014, 02:17 PM
Find More Posts by zbrubaker
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying jeep View Post
So tiny! That will be a joy to install. Are they adjustable?
The Dubro micro control rods come with EZ links that allow you to adjust the control rod length at the servo.
http://shop.dubro.com/p/micro-push-rod-system-qty-pkg-2

The Gannet is really looking great Brian. Have you given any thought to a covering scheme?
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
Old Dec 24, 2014, 05:20 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
3,333 Posts
Zeke

No not yet. Covering is always a chore for me as I can never come up with a decent scheme.
I sometimes pawn them off on Ron as he is much better at covering and has a better imagination!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew