New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2015, 09:40 PM
Find More Posts by flydynamics
Joined Jul 2011
166 Posts
Discussion
Help needed

Hey guys,

A friend and me have been into FPV for a while. My friend had been lucky and has no problem at all with his PZ4020 and I have fried 1 of this kind and 2 fatshark 600 TVL CMOS
I am using an Immersion Rc 600mW video Tx wired properly as my firend has absolutely 0 issue ! I use a power filter and the balance plug of the flight battery to power it.
Camera is mounted on a vertical carbon plate and I use foam to angle it. I also tried foam only stucked in the frame and my cameras keep dying ! The camera works Ok for 3 minutes then lots of static and grey screen then camera is inop.

Can anybody help me on this please as if I know RC pretty well, I'm a newbie in video

here are the wiring of my cameras for both 5V (fatshark) and 12V camera that I have installed now (4th camera !!!!!)
Thanks to all for your future contribution
flydynamics is offline Find More Posts by flydynamics
Last edited by flydynamics; Apr 20, 2015 at 12:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by hangarspace
United Kingdom
Joined May 2013
328 Posts
Have you checked the voltage output from the receiver just in case it's not 5v?

Are you happy that the camera is isolated from any carbon framework as that could cause a short?

Chris
hangarspace is offline Find More Posts by hangarspace
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:12 PM
Joined Jul 2011
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangarspace View Post
Have you checked the voltage output from the receiver just in case it's not 5v?

Are you happy that the camera is isolated from any carbon framework as that could cause a short?

Chris
Hello Chris, thanks a lot for helping. I didn't check the 5V voltage output of the video Tx. I will do that this evening for sure. I thought that 2 video Tx will not both be providing wrong output voltage, but it might be so I'll check to eliminate this unknown.
Each time, the cameras were protected by foam and couldn't physically touch any part of the frame, I also checked if the foam wasn't conducting any electricity and it wasn't.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 06:05 PM
Joined Jul 2011
166 Posts
Video Tx is providing 5V no pb there.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:07 PM
Find More Posts by mutski
mutski
United States, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,309 Posts
Your wiring looks correct - I've wired numerous aircraft on the same plans.

Do your cameras die permanantly, or do they work, fade out, then work the next time you power up the aircraft?

I usually solve these issues by replacing one part of the system at a time; I have the advantage of a lot of spare planes and parts. You could start with the video glasses - Does your friend get a good signal from your plane while your glasses fail? Of does the signal fail in his glasses too? Do your glasses get a good signal from his plane, or does his signal fade and disappear in your glasses?

If your glasses get a good signal from his plane and the signal from your plane fades in his glasses too, your glasses are probably OK, and the problem is on your plane. Wiggle the wires and check for loose connections and bad solder joints. Try borrowing his video transmitter and see if that fixes your plane. Try swapping video antennas, or check yours carefully for failed connections. I once had the SMA connector come apart on a video transmitter antenna - it was pressed together, and came loose.

If that doesn't work, try replacing the wiring, one lead at a time. Look closely at the micro JST plug that connects to your video camera; the wires are fragile and often break where they enter the plug. You might also try bypassing the power filter and plugging the video transmitter straight into the battery. Make sure you get the polarity right; you can plug into lipos from 2S to 6S per the manual. You may see noise from the motor. You could also try setting the video system up outside the plane - use a fan to cool the video transmitter and see if you get a good signal. If it works outside the plane but not inside the plane, you may have a wiring problem or be seeing noise from ESC, motor or servos.

One problem I've had in the past - if you let the video transmitter run too long on the ground, it can overheat and be damaged. Mine still transmitted, but signal strength was greatly reduced. You need to mount the transmitter where it gets plenty of moving air, and don't delay launching the plane more than a few minutes after you plug in the video transmitter. Powering the transmitter with no antenna attached can also damage it.
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Last edited by mutski; Apr 20, 2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 09:49 AM
Joined Jul 2011
166 Posts
Thanks a million for helping Mutski

Do your cameras die permanantly, or do they work, fade out, then work the next time you power up the aircraft?
Die permanently

I usually solve these issues by replacing one part of the system at a time; I have the advantage of a lot of spare planes and parts. You could start with the video glasses - Does your friend get a good signal from your plane while your glasses fail? Of does the signal fail in his glasses too? Do your glasses get a good signal from his plane, or does his signal fade and disappear in your glasses?
My glasses see the video signal of the quad of my friend, no problem there. The video signal suddenly bring tons of static in a second or so then grey screen (like if there wasn't enough power to the camera) forever. I have changed the camera and video is back. Checked the camera again yesterday evening and still dead.

If your glasses get a good signal from his plane and the signal from your plane fades in his glasses too, your glasses are probably OK, and the problem is on your plane. Wiggle the wires and check for loose connections and bad solder joints.
I did shake the wires to see if any bad connection, nothing changed at all.

Try borrowing his video transmitter and see if that fixes your plane. Try swapping video antennas, or check yours carefully for failed connections. I once had the SMA connector come apart on a video transmitter antenna - it was pressed together, and came loose.
I have checked the antennas too, I have 2 sets, same problem, I also have switch video Tx as I have another one on another quad grounded for the moment until resolution of this annoying issue. Problem stays with different video Tx, I checked the power filter too by replacing it with another one, same pb, antennas too have been swapped, same issue.

If that doesn't work, try replacing the wiring, one lead at a time. Look closely at the micro JST plug that connects to your video camera; the wires are fragile and often break where they enter the plug.
I have done this inspected the plugs under magnificent glasses and replaced all the cables one after one and same problem.

You might also try bypassing the power filter and plugging the video transmitter straight into the battery. Make sure you get the polarity right; you can plug into lipos from 2S to 6S per the manual. You may see noise from the motor.
I didn't do this but will do it tonight after work for sure. thanks for the idea.

You could also try setting the video system up outside the plane - use a fan to cool the video transmitter and see if you get a good signal. If it works outside the plane but not inside the plane, you may have a wiring problem or be seeing noise from ESC, motor or servos.
I tried this too, same problem inside or outside the quad.

One problem I've had in the past - if you let the video transmitter run too long on the ground, it can overheat and be damaged. Mine still transmitted, but signal strength was greatly reduced. You need to mount the transmitter where it gets plenty of moving air, and don't delay launching the plane more than a few minutes after you plug in the video transmitter. Powering the transmitter with no antenna attached can also damage it
Yes I have noticed 600mW makes the video Tx heat a lot but I cooled it with fan on the ground while testing it out of the quad and never exceed 2.5-3minutes on the ground. I also never powered it without antenna as with 600mW and no load I guess it will have fried rapidly

I also thought maybe there was a safe mode the camera was switching too if not enough power of something else making the contrast going to 0, but sadly no video settings possible from the fatshark cameras. Those 30$ cameras from China are coming with removable OSD.

I'm very lost at the moment, I flew yesterday with the 12V camera I had and the only one flight I did (crazy cold for fingers yesterday) was OK for the camera. I'll repeat the flights as soon as possible and continue to trouble shoot the issue on the bench with the dead camera. Blake from get FPV (where Ibought the Fatshark) asked me how I powered my cam. Hopefully he will email back and replace the cam ?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:54 AM
Find More Posts by SirRexAlot
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2013
695 Posts
I have one camera that was built for a micro and as such is expecting a max of 4.2 volts. I plugged it into my full size rig, using the 5v BEC and was looking through my goggles for testing. I noticed that after a minute or two the video started to degrade and when I grabbed the camera to check it, I got a burned finger!

Turns out the camera is taking the excess voltage and turning it into waste heat, and there's not a lot of surface area to dissipate it. Now I run the positive side through a couple of small .4v drop diodes to power it and it works great, nice and cool.
SirRexAlot is offline Find More Posts by SirRexAlot
Old Apr 22, 2015, 02:22 AM
Find More Posts by mutski
mutski
United States, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,309 Posts
Can you test the dead camera on your friend's plane? Your wiring diagram looks good. I don't see how you would burn a camera. If it was just one, I'd say maybe you got a faulty camera, but if you've burned several, I'd suspect a problem with the wiring in the plane.
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Apr 22, 2015, 09:01 AM
Joined Jul 2011
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutski View Post
Can you test the dead camera on your friend's plane? Your wiring diagram looks good. I don't see how you would burn a camera. If it was just one, I'd say maybe you got a faulty camera, but if you've burned several, I'd suspect a problem with the wiring in the plane.
I will this WE. He is using the same components as me but it will be checked. I have powered the Video Tx directly from the power board, no change.
SirRexAlot, thanks for sharing your experience, I'll keep that in mind but my camera is cold.
Last edited by flydynamics; Apr 22, 2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:53 PM
Joined Jul 2011
166 Posts
Well the camera will go back tomorrow to getfpv. Getfpv service is fantastic as they will provide me a feedback on the problem.
The first 2 cameras were on 1 racer and the last one on another racer so I doubt if was problem in the racer.