SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:51 PM
Find More Posts by sagomon
United States, NH, Suncook
Joined Oct 2010
730 Posts
Discussion
What is the best flying F-86 Available

Been a fan of the F-86 since seeing it in The McConnell Story,Had a Byron F-86 with a rossi 81 years ago (25),not a great flyer.
Not looking for speed but a good flying F-86 with some vertical performance,What is currently available in the 70mm to 90mm edf range ?
Was looking at a fiberglass 90mm fan rcaf at Hobbyking
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=68521
while not a fan of the rcaf scheme was wondering if anyone has flown one or is there something better I missed? thanks
sagomon is online now Find More Posts by sagomon
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2015, 01:37 PM
Find More Posts by 4stripes
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,933 Posts
Flyfly introduced great large 90mm jets with their 90mm F86. It is very large and thanks to being light flies great on an average 6s setup. Flaps, retracts airbrakes do require some modelling skills as does strengthening the airframe with CF spars.
After crashing ours due radio brownout, we have since built another (not painted yet). The final paint will be done soon with warmer weather.
Great flier! Likely cheaper to build Fully loaded than the smaller Eflite version that has fixed, or no gear.
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
Old Mar 30, 2015, 02:02 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,933 Posts
This is one of the stock version, there are other paint schemes...
Old Mar 30, 2015, 02:53 PM
Find More Posts by sagomon
United States, NH, Suncook
Joined Oct 2010
730 Posts
Hi,
think this is what you are referring to
FlyFly Hobby Topgun F-86 Sabre REVIEW, Build & Flight Test (14 min 28 sec)

as far as carbon fiber spars,mods, etc,
sagomon is online now Find More Posts by sagomon
Old Mar 30, 2015, 03:02 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,933 Posts
There are many ways to do it depending on what materials are available to you. I work with all kinds of odds and ends. Old arrow shafts, wooden garden stakes from the dollar store, chops sticks and coffee stir sticks have all found their way into our models. It also helps to stock up on cheap hinges and hardware to keep the build going. 5 minute epoxy and PU glue works well.
Plenty of ideas in the Foam jet section on this bird.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 04:54 PM
Find More Posts by rfodor
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Feb 2009
406 Posts
Jet Hanger F-86??????
rfodor is offline Find More Posts by rfodor
Old Mar 30, 2015, 06:42 PM
Find More Posts by Eddie P
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,920 Posts
The Fly-Fly F-86 with a 90mm multiblade fan on 2000 to 3000 watts with the Air Sally inlet wold be a very nice foamie. It's a longer build, not an ARF and if you want to do it right there is a bit more building than the basic setup. But you get a great jet. Problem is finding them. Do it like Jepe for best results.
http://www.jepejets.com/jepeshop/f-8...1-version.html

If you can find one still and want an ARF "pull out of the box" type plane check out Nitroplanes 90mm F-86. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1552199
I had one for a few seasons and sold it. It's a lovely flyer. I changed the fan out for the JF90 at 2000 watts on 6s and it was a beautiful flying jet. Weak points were the landing gear and the gear mounts but everything else was great and I loved the way it flew for a quickie ARF and minimal mods (if you call a power system and fan upgrade minimal like I do).

The best electric F-86 I've ever flown was a Tamjets electric modified Skymaster F-86 on his 100mm fan. It was Tam's demo model so it was not mine but I got a few flights on it a few years back. Turbine like handling and size, yet simply stunning to fly and light as heck on the controls. I want one still.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
Old Mar 30, 2015, 06:47 PM
Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,915 Posts
Yes I can still make the fiber glass nose that really helps the looks
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Mar 31, 2015, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by Eddie P
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,920 Posts
Herb did one of the Fly Fly F-86's very nicely (as usual). I am not sure if he retro fitted an Air Sally nose or not as he was one of the first to really dress one of these out. Here is his blog build on the FF F-86:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1127589

Also wanted to say the JHH F-86 is probably the most scale and nicest, highest performance F-86 in the 90mm class but to really enjoy it you have to be a good stick and builder as it's a little more complex, heavier and more scale than the typical "pop outs" we see today. For a good pilot it's probably hands down the most realistic F-86 on a high power 90mm unit that you can still get today without going into the high dollar and much larger BVM category.

If I had a more liberal model airplane budget I'd get a BVM F-86. Electric or turbine, they blur the line between model airplane and miniature aircraft.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:08 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,933 Posts
Obviously price plays a large part in making the choice but the FF F86 may still win the "best flying F86" regardless. The other question is what type and how long a runway is available. The lighter FF will fly off grass without issue (with proper retract mounts). In the air I think the slower speeds of a lighter model matches the scale flight speeds better than a heavy composite model. The lighter model will also be more forgiving in the event of an "incident".
Having built and flown lead sleds and lighter models, I truly enjoy having the lighter wing loading every time.
My 2 cents....
Old Mar 31, 2015, 02:26 PM
Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,997 Posts
OK, gotta add my 2 cents here.

The FF Sabre is indeed a great plane; it flies beautifully and looks great doing it. The more-involved aspect of the build - to me - is appropriate, given that this is a hobby for all of us. Honestly a great F-86.

The new-ish FreeWing F-86 is also a good plane as Sabres go. It is, in my opinion, much too heavy for its size and stock power....altho many will differ from that opinion. It is virtually the same weight as the Exceed F-86 which is about 10% larger overall. It splits from the usual stuff, having 80mm fan power. It looks good, tho, and really does fly very well. There's a huge thread for it in here.

The Exceed is a 90mm and available only from China these days. Haven't flown mine yet as the assembly hasn't started, but many have had very positive comments with it. It looks good, it flies good, it's big....what's not to like?

The Venom F-86 is a 70mm, nearly as big as the FreeWing, and is just a wonderful airplane. It flies fabulously well; it has decent detail with enough attractions (I.e, retracts, flaps, speed brakes) that it can be endless fun. With one of AirSally's glass noses on it, it becomes much, much more appealing scale-wise, without a shred of flight degradation. All sorts of power has been used in them, and speed varies some, but never reaches the absurd levels. Sadly it appears to be out of production too, but they pop up from time to time here and eBay. Much cheaper than any of the others, it gives up nothing in regards to flight performance and satisfaction.

Finally, Eddie P has really identified the zenith for F-86's. The BVM is so incredibly fine that aspiring to own one ought to be every Sabre fans' ultimate goal. They are what has me buying lottery tickets once a week - no, really - in the hopes that someday that goal can be realized. Just simply incredible.
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff