HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:56 PM
Chino Renegade oh-gee, yo
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,574 Posts
Go back and edit your last post....you're confusing me...lol.
You're on mode 2 ok, yes it would matter lots if your wing did not sit level on the fuse and YES it would matter if the poly tips were not equally tipped (lemme guess....the right one is tipped a little more ? ).
After rectifying these, you may still want to explore adding a couple pennies to the right wing tip and see if that helps keep the wing level, it may also have a twist that isn't as noticeable and making the left tip not as active in lft.
--Ray
Wrench66 is offline Find More Posts by Wrench66
Last edited by Wrench66; Oct 15, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:06 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
ok, so the right side is 1/16in higher. and the wing is 1/8in lower on the left side of the fuse than right. will add a popsicle stick in there and do a test.

i just deleted the non-relevant part
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Last edited by sirbow2; Oct 15, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:23 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,574 Posts
I actually was mainly referring to the last sentence. You are using ailerons on this plane along with poly tips?
The relationship between the rear stab/vert stab and the wing (horizontal relationship) is important but when you have the extra leverage of those poly's out there it makes it doubly so.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:25 PM
Emress
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
yeah, jackerbes told me that it would be more aerobatic that way, and since i have no issues flying similar planes at my local club, i though it would be interesting. buuuut that was before all of these issues.

sorry, i see what you mean: i had it going full right aileron and it didnt have any roll affect. elevator seemed to have the only affect." i need to check my typing more .
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:41 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,016 Posts
That wing will actually fly well with or without ailerons. I have flown it both ways and you can see how well the ailerons and polyhedral tips work together in this build here:

Trainer type plane - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1281056

I would almost be inclined to disable the ailerons and try flying it on rudder control only. Settle for a short gentle flight just to see if that does not stabilize it some.

You can align the disconnected ailerons with the wind and the servo motor (not being powered up) will keep the surfaces in position.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:41 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,574 Posts
Yeah they will help a little, good for handling wind corrections and some trimming issues but they do tend to argue with poly's depending on the aileron to poly size ratio.
No matter, ok do your best to sort the poly angle differences and then I would add a couple small coins to the right wing tip, adjust your glide CG somewhere's near the 25% mark and make another test glide.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:44 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
That wing will actually fly well with or without ailerons. I have flown it both ways and you can see how well the ailerons and polyhedral tips work together in this build here:

Trainer type plane - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1281056

I would almost be inclined to disable the ailerons and try flying it on rudder control only. Settle for a short gentle flight just to see if that does not stabilize it some.

You can align the disconnected ailerons with the wind and the servo motor (not being powered up) will keep the surfaces in position.

Jack
Once he figures why it keeps dropping the left wing tip that will be best, Jack I'm sure.
--Ray
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:58 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,016 Posts
Right.

And you know what we have not asked him yet? One of the basic ones...

When you move the aileron stick to the left, does the left aileron go up and the right aileron down? And the opposite happens when you move it to the right?

And does moving the rudder stick to the left move the rudder that direction? And to the right does the opposite.

When I was getting started, I actually destroyed an airplane one day before I noticed that the ailerons were reversed...

Jack
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:02 PM
Emress
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
yes i got that part. also, moving the ail stick to the left doesn't make it turn any sharper.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:08 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,574 Posts
Good one Jack **drops forehead into right palm** doh!

Lol...ok cool, glad you checked already.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:52 AM
Emress
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
what do you guys think about the fact that the ailerons have no affect? should i do different rates for each control surface?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:00 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbow2 View Post
what do you guys think about the fact that the ailerons have no affect? should i do different rates for each control surface?
How much deflection are getting from center on rudder and ailerons?

for a trainer I think 1/4" or so is enough once you get it trimmed out so I usually go for double that and set low rates to 50% and fly with that.

But I always have equal deflections up and down and right and left.

Jack
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:27 AM
Emress
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
How much deflection are getting from center on rudder and ailerons?

for a trainer I think 1/4" or so is enough once you get it trimmed out so I usually go for double that and set low rates to 50% and fly with that.

But I always have equal deflections up and down and right and left.

Jack
they have a good 1in(both ways from center) movement and they are about 1/4in when i set the variable rates for take off etc.

1.5in deep i think
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:48 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,016 Posts
Those sound like they should be enough. I would launch for the maiden with the full travel and telling myself to use gentle inputs, then I'd drop to the lower rates as soon as I could.

Jack
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:42 PM
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Oct 2012
37 Posts
Experience really is a great Teacher - My second BB is much better than the first.

Here's a shot of BB #2 and her pilot. This past weekend we had all three of my scratch built planes in the air at one time. What a difference quick build foam planes make in my attitude. "Can I try flying that?" "Sure thing, here you go". That never happened after spending hours and hours on a balsa plane.
bloviationator is offline Find More Posts by bloviationator