HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:31 PM
st. louis, mo.
Joined Dec 2003
10 Posts
Hobbico mk2 multi charger?

I am looking for my first field charger for my flight packs, 8 cell 650ma nimh. Is this charger suitable for flight pack? Factory ads only mention rx and tx packs. I like the idea of charging two packs at once. If not suitable what is a good peak detection charger for preferably under 100 dollars? Thanks for any info!
boogerman is offline Find More Posts by boogerman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2003, 06:07 PM
Dog is my co-pilot
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Sep 2003
161 Posts
It's a great charger. I've been using one for about 6 months and have been very happy with it. It will charge nicad and nihm flight packs from 1 to 8 cells at up to 2 amps and li-poly or li-ion 1,2 or 3 cell packs at up to 1 amp. Nice being able to charge two packs at once also. Tower has a $10.00 off on a $50.00 order coupon ( 011L8 ) that's good till the end of this month so you can get one for 39.95. Can't beat that!
Magneto is online now Find More Posts by Magneto
Last edited by Magneto; Dec 17, 2003 at 06:33 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 12:04 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Great Charger!

Yes, indeed this little, compact and very versitile charger is worth every penny I paid for.

I am presently charging a larger Sub-C, 7 Cell, 8.4Volt, Ni-Cd, SC2100mAH monster pack for my modified HOBBIC SUPER STAR EP trainer powered by a Endoplasma 16-Turn Bursh motor and at the other end the charger, a KOKAM 1500mAH (3S1P) 11.1 nominal, 12 Volt off the charger Li-POLY battery pack.

The SC2100mAH is being charged at 1.6 Amp and the Li-POLY is being charged at 1.0 AMP per....

Since I am home the charger is getting it's power from a RADIO SHACK regulated power supply 10 Amp (13.8 VDC). However, it's normally connected at my car battery and it performs just great.

I Love the audiable sound to indicate the battery pack is in trickle charge and it also has another audiable alarm indicating a bad connection (reversed) or broken wire indicatation.

Wonderful charger!
Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Dec 18, 2003, 08:18 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,036 Posts
I didn't see any way to select the number of LiIon cells being charged which means you are relying on the charger to select 1, 2, or 3 cells. If it makes a mistake and charges at a higher rate the cells could catch on fire. They also recommend you use LiIon cells with overcharge protection circuits built in. Although reports on it seem to indicate no problems other than not bringing LiPo's to full charge, I wouldn't use it on LiPo cells without a voltmeter attached to check the LiPo charge voltage. You can read the instruction manual here:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCTZ5&P=7
You can also type in 'hobbico' in the search box for this section and see a lot of reports. Be sure and be in 'batteries and chargers' when you do the search.
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Last edited by hoppy; Dec 18, 2003 at 08:31 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 09:40 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hoppy
I didn't see any way to select the number of LiIon cells being charged which means you are relying on the charger to select 1, 2, or 3 cells. If it makes a mistake and charges at a higher rate the cells could catch on fire. They also recommend you use LiIon cells with overcharge protection circuits built in. Although reports on it seem to indicate no problems other than not bringing LiPo's to full charge, I wouldn't use it on LiPo cells without a voltmeter attached to check the LiPo charge voltage. You can read the instruction manual here:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCTZ5&P=7
You can also type in 'hobbico' in the search box for this section and see a lot of reports. Be sure and be in 'batteries and chargers' when you do the search.
hoppy
Hoppy,

No, usually a mistake is the human input and not the charger. It's the person that is in a hurry that gets in trouble with this charger by selecting the wrong chemistry and not the number of cells ( 1 through 3 Li-POLYs).

Also, I always tell those at the field when you do select the chemistry in a rush and pass the correct chemistry type the first try (or cycle) to SHUT IT "OFF" completely and power it back "ON" and try again carefully and select the correct chemistry on the first pass.

Most of us charge the 3-series Li-POLY so, I really can't confirm or dely your statement about Li-POLY catching on Fire as a result of the charger making an internal error on the number of cells.

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Last edited by guapoman2000; Dec 18, 2003 at 09:42 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:53 AM
Austin Mueller, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2002
350 Posts
I only charge 2-series packs and it hasn't caught anything on fire yet...

I liked it for the fact that it was concervative in its charging, so there is less risk of overcharging, but now I wish it charged a little closer to the 8.4 volts than the 8.2 volts it stops at.
Diego is offline Find More Posts by Diego
Old Dec 22, 2003, 08:45 AM
WORK!
Joined Jul 2002
407 Posts
Can you use the trickle charge feature to form or condition (C/10) a new battery pack? I've reviewed the manual and the only reference is trickle charging at the end of a normal quick charging.
Thanks,
Howard
hweird is offline Find More Posts by hweird