HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2014, 04:11 PM
Joined Dec 2014
11 Posts
Discussion
Need Help With Black Pearl, ImmersionRC FPV Setup

#7: DJI Phantom 2 - Complete FPV Setup Guide & Test - Step-By-Step! (6 min 48 sec)

I spent about $400 on all of the FPV gear in Ifti's video (link above), and so far it's been useless. I followed his instructions in the guide exactly and I'm not getting any video from the GoPro showing up on my Black Pearl monitor. I'm only getting the iOSD info.

I tried cycling through all of the channels on the monitor, and also tried switching the channels on the back of the transmitter itself. I tried all of the possible channel combinations. I also double checked to make sure my monitor and camera were both set to NTSC as they should be. I also tried various resolutions on the camera, including 1080p and 2.7K.

My camera is a HERO 4, but I have heard from several people who said that it would indeed work with this setup, so I don't think that's the issue?

Anyone have any ideas?

My full parts list:

- DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter
- H3-3D Gimbal
- GoPro HERO 4 Camera
- Flysight Black Pearl 7 Channel 5.8 Ghz RC801 Monitor
- PnP Cable For DJI Phantom 2 to iOSD Mini and Fatshark/ImmersionRC Transmitter.
- DJI iOSD Mini On Screen Display for Real-Time Flight Information
- Immersion RC 600mw 5.8 Ghz A/V Transmitter
DML5728 is offline Find More Posts by DML5728
Last edited by DML5728; Dec 10, 2014 at 04:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2014, 05:36 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,200 Posts
If you have OSD info then the Black Pearl and vTx are NOT the problem. Unfortunately EVERYTHING else is suspect.

If I had to make a wild guess, I'd say it was a bad H3-3D Video Output ribbon cable (common failure, $4 replacement). Next on the list is the iOSD Mini because they seem to fail more often than expected. But the problem could be something else, including the PnP video cable, Phantom main board, Zenmuse, or Hero4. Swapping parts is the typical method of finding this kind of problem.

If you cannot find the spare H3-3D Video Output Connection Cable that was included with the Zenmuse H3-3D kit then buy one from a DJI supplier and install it with extreme care; Be extra careful if you ever need to remove it since there's extra stress on it during removal (it will break without much effort). If the new H3-3D video cable does not solve the problem then you will just have to start replacing the other noted items.

Side note: Before you choose a final installation, be forwarned that the iOSD Mini runs hot and can be damaged if does not have sufficient airflow. For that reason I would avoid installing it inside the Phantom. Sure, a lot of users have installed theirs inside and have not had any issues; But there are some who have ended up with a defective/melted paperweight. See this for more details about the overheat failure issue:
http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.ph...tdown-madness/

- Thomas
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Last edited by Mr.RC-CAM; Dec 10, 2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:17 PM
Joined Dec 2014
11 Posts
Today I replaced the H3-3D Gimbal cable to the camera with a new one, and that didn't fix it either.

I'm going to check the iOSD cable configuration next, but are we sure this issue is related to cables and not some kind of other issue?

This guy on YouTube had a similar issue receiving video on the monitor and fixed it by switching the channels on the back of the ImmersionRC transmitter:

FPV problem DJI Phantom2 Flysight Black Pearl RC801 (3 min 35 sec)

Read the comments on the video.

Unfortunately, I already tried his solution and it didn't fix it for me.
Last edited by DML5728; Dec 11, 2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:51 PM
Joined Dec 2014
11 Posts
Well some good news, I think I found out what my problem is.

The PnP cable had a defective (disconnected) yellow wire.

I'll post another update when I get a new PnP cable.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:03 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,200 Posts
FWIW, we might be talking about different problems. You had stated "I'm only getting the iOSD info." But the OSD text seen in the video you posted is the monitor's OSD. It is NOT from the iOSD.

Below is a screenshot of iOSD Mini data that is visible but the camera image is missing. This is the problem that relates to my troubleshooting information. You need to confirm that this is the same as your problem. Note the artificial horizon and GPS text that is provided by the iOSD Mini. These things confirm the iOSD Mini video is present.

But since your PNP cable is bad then get it repaired/replaced and go from there. If you don't have success then you need to verify which OSD data you can see. If you cannot see the iOSD Mini's data then then the suspect list is going to be much longer and indeed includes incorrect channel switch settings as discussed in the video. What I mean is Ignore the monitor's OSD status line at the top of the screen. If you see iOSD Mini data (as shown in the screenshot below) then leave those freq switches alone and direct your attention to everything else.
Last edited by Mr.RC-CAM; Dec 11, 2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:19 PM
Joined Dec 2014
11 Posts
Yeah my iOSD screen looks like the screenshot you posted, except it is relaying data from the quadcopter.

In other words, it shows the correct battery life, altitude, velocity, etc from my craft. It's just lacking the actual video.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:41 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,200 Posts
Quote:
In other words, it shows the correct battery life, altitude, velocity, etc from my craft. It's just lacking the actual video.
Great, we are talking about the same thing. Install a good PNP cable and I expect you will be ready to go.

- Thomas
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:47 PM
Joined Dec 2014
11 Posts
Got my replacement PnP cable today and it worked!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 03:37 AM
Joined Dec 2014
11 Posts
Regarding the iOSD Mini though, how long is the factory warranty?
Last edited by DML5728; Dec 16, 2014 at 10:52 PM.