HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:26 PM
United States, WA, Vashon
Joined May 2006
172 Posts
Question
LMR/ALES Altitude Restrictions

I am considering moving from DLG's to Electric Gliders and perhaps getting involved in LMR/ALES activities. I am wondering what altitudes the contest flying is normally flown at and if the possible FAA restrictions to 400 feet will impact this type of flying.

Thanks
Serfsup is online now Find More Posts by Serfsup
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2014, 05:29 PM
United States, PA, Carlisle
Joined Oct 2011
315 Posts
ALES thermal tasks are typically started anywhere between 100 and 200 meters. The altitude you attain during the task can vary widely and can and often does exceed twice the starting altitude.
dreisinger is offline Find More Posts by dreisinger
Old Nov 19, 2014, 05:31 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,161 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it unless you expect to fly in a city park or near a controlled airport ... this FAA stuff is likely still months to years away from being an issue to the rank and file ... it IS still the government, after all
tkallev is online now Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Nov 19, 2014, 07:51 PM
Joined May 2006
172 Posts
Thanks dreisinger and tkallev,

It looks like the ALES gliders can go quite high. Hopefully the FAA limit issue will be resolved.

Steve
Old Nov 19, 2014, 08:41 PM
Miamisburg OH
Joined Dec 2003
506 Posts
More on the 400 ft "non-limit"

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=200
John Lueke is online now Find More Posts by John Lueke
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:16 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
It's possible that the restrictions will mostly apply to Drones since that's where most of the
Problems are occurring ,,, apparently the latest is idiots using drones to film Airplanes taking off and landing.
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:30 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serfsup View Post
I am considering moving from DLG's to Electric Gliders
I say do both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serfsup View Post
if the possible FAA restrictions to 400 feet will impact this type of flying.
Absolute worst case scenario is some time in the future year(s) there would be some kind of national altitude restriction and then clubs/contest organizers could submit requests to the FAA for a temporary (like for a contest or weekend or whatever) increase in allowed altitude for the field.

I say enjoy some electric glider flying.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Nov 20, 2014, 03:28 PM
Joined May 2006
172 Posts
Thanks to you all for the feedback. I feel a lot better now. I have been looking at Pulsars and similar rigs to move up to. I fly at a local uncontrolled private grass airstrip on a farm that my club has a use agreement with.

Steve
Old Dec 01, 2014, 02:32 PM
Overkill is underrated
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2007
151 Posts
Steve, I don't know your budget, but I doubt anyone would recommend against a Pulsar if it's in your financial wheelhouse. I built a 3.2 Pro E full house as my first serious ALES/F5J plane and I love it. Many will recommend if you can spring for the 3.6 span to do so as it hits a sweet spot. But I sure don't regret my 3.2. You can't get much better bang for the buck. Have any questions, PM me. Glad to help.

-Ed
elac2az is offline Find More Posts by elac2az
Old Dec 01, 2014, 03:49 PM
Joined May 2006
172 Posts
Thanks Ed,

The Pulsar's including the large ones are on my list of possibilities.

I may follow up with you later this winter with a PM if I get closer.

Right now I am finishing up a extended wing Easy Glider Pro and adding flaps. I still have the standard wing set to go back to.

Steve
Old Dec 01, 2014, 05:41 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elac2az View Post
....... Many will recommend if you can spring for the 3.6 span to do so as it hits a sweet spot......
I would be one of the many. Nothing at all wrong with the 3.2, it's a great flyer. I had one I just sold to make space for new stuff. My 3.6 kicked it up a notch and term 'hits a sweet spot' is good one. But then I had to go and get a 4 meter............
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Eagle has landed
Old Dec 01, 2014, 05:48 PM
Overkill is underrated
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2007
151 Posts
And Steve, you can't go wrong reading the Leadchucker's thread, "E Pulsar Owners Thread" in electric sailplanes. SO much good information about all the Pulsars. Don't hesitate to PM me later if you think I can be of any Pulsar help.

-Ed
elac2az is offline Find More Posts by elac2az