SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2014, 06:46 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,737 Posts
Build Log
Scale Build-Off 4 Scratch-Built Depron Grumman Albatross

I'm going to the Chilliwack Memorial Weekend Fly-In next year (to be held at a new grass and water flying field and pond). This will be my fourth appearance. It seems traditional to build a depron flying boat for the event. In 2010 it was a Bombardier CL215 Scooper, 2012 a B-N Ross Islander, this year I took a spectacularly unsuccessful Twin Otter so next year it's going to be this Grumman Albatross.

These models take to pieces to fit into the largest carry-on box Air Canada will allow. Apart from a very rigourous check at customs and the box only just fitting into the overhead storage, it's a straightforward operation.

Depron has been cut! Details to follow.
Sopwith Mike is online now Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Oct 15, 2014 at 06:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2014, 08:25 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,603 Posts
Oooh, this will be good. Always like the looks of the Albatross and am most impressed with what you can do with depron, Mike. Lot of build pics please.

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Oct 15, 2014, 09:14 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,285 Posts
Yes, watching with interest. Hooray for the Albatross.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:19 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,737 Posts
Uh oh...no pressure then - but thanks Jeff and Larry.

Construction follows my established practice of 6mm formers top and bottom, with 3mm sides. There are some interesting areas on the Albatross which need a slightly different approach, but more on that later.

One small difference is that I'm using Deluxe Materials "Foam to Foam" glue this time rather than UHU Por. I get tired of waiting the 15 minutes for the glue to set before contacting the parts. F2F grabs in 10 seconds and can be adjusted during that time - verrrry useful!
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:31 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,473 Posts
An Albatross in an RCAF scheme (based in Comox, no less) to take overseas to a fly in. Hmmmm..... I think I've heard that somewhere before! Looks like an interesting project Mike, and I look forward to running it over in my driveway, errrr, I mean seeing it fly.
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:38 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonJaerschky View Post
An Albatross in an RCAF scheme (based in Comox, no less) to take overseas to a fly in. Hmmmm..... I think I've heard that somewhere before! Looks like an interesting project Mike, and I look forward to running it over in my driveway, errrr, I mean seeing it fly.
Solely to get you started on your own much superior project - show you the way if you like, for when you come to the BIMBO meeting. Also, Tim Calvert could enlarge my markings vinyl for your model.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 08:58 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,892 Posts
Subb'd. Got to love a seaplane.
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:37 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,737 Posts
Moving on nicely...

A word about scale fidelity. I'm afraid I treat depron models as cartoon scale because I don't have the skills to make them any more accurate than that! If when this model is finished, you can look at it and say "that's an Albatross" I shall be pleased. "That's an Albatross, isn't it?" is slightly less good. If anyone says "That's never an Albatross" I shall have to try harder next time.

The tricky bit is the quite complex tail end, with reverse and compound curves to cope with. This wasn't so bad on Golden Hind because it was balsa and a lot bigger and all the curves were conical sections. But Mr Grumman is not so easy to please!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:53 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,894 Posts
Mike,

I think as long as nobody says "Nice PBY" you'll be alright.

Ona slightly more serious note, it's always instructive to watch you build with Depron...

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:34 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,737 Posts
The fuselage is now skinned with 3mm depron, apart from the forward V hull. Foam32Foam glue has proved its worth and is easier to use than UHU Por and so far has just as good a bond. But like Por, it is rubbery and will not sand, so any external joint really should be made with aliphatic or other wood glue. They do bond just as well as contact glues, but they take forever to dry out

Thinking about how rigid the fuselage is, I once again have to remind my future self that the next depron model should be made with 3mm for the formers and 2mm for the skin. It would be lighter and easily strong enough but might lack some surface strength.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:32 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,737 Posts
The fuselage and tail are at the stage where I now need to get on with the wings, getting everything to the same stage before making an irrevocable mistake somewhere.

There's still quite a bit to do, but I get that "taking shape" feeling.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:35 AM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,603 Posts
Dang, you're quick. How are you securing the tailplane halves? Magnets?

Regards,
Jeff
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:16 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring View Post
Dang, you're quick. How are you securing the tailplane halves? Magnets?

Regards,
Jeff
That sounds the best bet Jeff. I'll have to get some smaller ones than those I've been using for hatches. I'm going to use twin pushrods to move the elevator halves - perhaps that wil be enough to hold it all together

On the Scooper I just trusted to friction and luck
Old Oct 21, 2014, 07:23 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,737 Posts
I mentioned the twist in the depron sheet for the lower hull. The usual method is to roll the part over a work-surface top, but my shed all the edges are sharp. Here you see a use for a rolling pin that the cook in the family must not see. Just hold the part against the "extra large dowel, darling" and press hard with the flat of the hand while rolling the dowel back and forth. It works a treat and has no effect on the taste of the pastry.

With that bit glued in place the sheeting of the fuselage is complete andI can move on to the wing.

The main spar is made up of laminations of 6mm depron with nesting square section brass tube used as joiners. The outer section is epoxied into channels cut in the spars and the inner sections just slide in to keep everything square while the glue dries. Vital to keep the spar sections aligned. or you'll build a propellor, not a wing!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:05 AM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,603 Posts
Friction and luck? You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

You are using just 6 mm depron for the spar? Man I really overbuilt that Scnellbomber didn't I. No wonder mine weighs a ton.

Watching and learning,
Jeff