Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:28 PM
200mph +
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Sep 2010
931 Posts
Discussion
Himodel ice ESC

Hi all,

If anyone with a himodel ice esc can assist with this I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm getting rather tired of esc's to be honest... I want to go back to throwing money at cars instead of sh$$ty toy planes...

After my fun with castles, I decided to buy a himodel since several people are using them with success on LV (4-6s) stuff. I think I have a dud one however:

Himodel ice 150 fail (0 min 39 sec)

Plug it in, and I get a single beep and it appears to arm right away. From there when I move the stick I get a short burst of power and then nothing. It will do this if the stick is anywhere from middle to bottom.

Have tried:

- Several batteries (3-5s)
- Different motor incase my mega was doing something to it
- EPA to 140%
- Resoldered the connections twice
- It WILL go into programming mode if I arm it with the stick right up, but no idea what settings to change as I can't test any of them due to it not arming properly...

Have not tried a different radio system as I only have my A9 currently.

Is it stuffed? Seems that way...

And for the record, don't go on about "rip off" controllers and stealing people's ideas etc. I was never going to buy a YGE for this model, they have missed out on nothing. The only people that missed a sale was castle, simply because it was their esc that was DOA, and I'm waiting for it to be replaced, hence the cheap himodel in the meantime.
sykotic is offline Find More Posts by sykotic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:50 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
You might want to send a pm to Peter M,he seems to know a bit about this ESC......sucks to hear about your luck lately....hang in there man.One thing i did notice,when i plug mine in,it will start beeping non stop tell i flick the throttle,the first time i hit the throttle to arm the esc (i guess) it takes a bit for the motor to get going....but once it is armed and the beeping stops,all has been great.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:41 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Brad,
Can't say I agree with VDC's assessment of my expertise as I can only suggest you beg, borrow or steal a programming card so you can check all the settings easily and accurately!

I'm not confident the most likely issue of incorrectly set cell count/low voltage cutoff (or even cell type?) is the actual problem in this case. Can you test with say 6 cells to see if there is a change of behaviour?

Except for the weak brake, I've found them to work nicely. However I hear that's been improved with the later firmware.

Cheers
Peter
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Last edited by Peter M; Jan 03, 2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:53 AM
200mph +
Joined Sep 2010
931 Posts
Thanks for that Peter and Voodoo, just went and tried 6s and same result, single beep, then it will run for a second before cutting out.

Don't know anyone with a card around here, I'll get one on order (with another esc I guess!)
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:09 AM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
2,086 Posts
sykotic, I'll check to see if I still have the programming card from my 150 that burned... I'm guessing I tossed it, but you never know...

It's yours if I still have it.
DownUnderPilot is online now Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:18 AM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jan 2005
760 Posts
Do you have a prop on it? I've got a Jeti that won't start a Het motor without anything on it, fit a fan and it runs fine.

EDIT:
Just watched your video, try it with a prop.
steveburns is online now Find More Posts by steveburns
Last edited by steveburns; Jan 03, 2013 at 02:22 AM. Reason: more info
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:23 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykotic View Post
Thanks for that Peter and Voodoo, just went and tried 6s and same result, single beep, then it will run for a second before cutting out.

Don't know anyone with a card around here, I'll get one on order (with another esc I guess!)
Are you sure you have the right cable connected to your rx, and not the programming cable?
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:36 AM
200mph +
Joined Sep 2010
931 Posts
It only has one cable..... Must be a new/different verison?

The cable comes out the side of the esc where it says "receiver". The other side has a label that says programming card, but the cable is absent.

Thanks Steve, I will try with a prop, I did try with a cheap 450size outrunner as well but it was without a prop aswell.

Cheers DUP!
Last edited by sykotic; Jan 03, 2013 at 02:44 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:43 AM
200mph +
Joined Sep 2010
931 Posts
Thanks Steve! Chucked a prop on it, and now it will run it most of the time.

I say most, because every 5 or 6 starts it fails to detect the motor phases I guess and won't start.

Still very confused by it's behaviour though. It seems to be in some kind of super quick startup mode. Its literately plug in the battery, one beep, and its live. It will do this with the throttle at any position except full up.

I'll go blindly through the programming options with the stick now that I can get it to spin.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:59 AM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jan 2005
760 Posts
I guess if you increase the PWM it will help the start up.
steveburns is online now Find More Posts by steveburns
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:02 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,171 Posts
The programming on these ESC's sucks. You are way better off with the open source firmware that is available for many ESC's. However, i don't think there is a version available for this particular one.

The ESC i am selling will do the job no question.
jjmouris is offline Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:04 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,171 Posts
Note, i am sorry for the delay in shipping your ESC. I didn't want it to get stuck in the post around the Christmas period and also i have been busy with family things myself.

Let me know if you want 2 of these now.
jjmouris is offline Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:20 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
2,086 Posts
Sorry man, I must have chucked out my card when I threw out the charred remains of my ESC...
DownUnderPilot is online now Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:33 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
I have one if it would help the cause.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:36 AM
Deutschland, RP, Niederzissen
Joined Dec 2011
885 Posts
Sykotic,
The YGE progcard works aswell if you can get this faster.
Quote:
It seems to be in some kind of super quick startup mode. Its literately plug in the battery, one beep, and its live
At the second page of the progcard you can set the option "beep short",dont know how to change this with the stick.

Where did you get your esc from, looks like it is the new version with only one connector.
Sunrise also offers a new version of progcard,no idea if its possible to use old one at new esc or opposit.
Would like to try these but i am not sure if my source already sells the new ones.

Yello
Mreyello is offline Find More Posts by Mreyello