HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:52 AM
Joined Oct 2006
174 Posts
Discussion
I have an ASP .15 Water Cooled Nitro Engine

I have an ASP .15 Water Cooled Nitro Engine, now the thing is what exactly could I put it in? I know since it quite a small engine I could put it in a boat that is meant for electric, but I'm just not sure on how big of a hull I can go until it will be sluggish. I don't want the boat to be crazy fast but I'm not looking for a relaxing cruise either. Planes are more my forte, although I do have an electric freighter.
lgbfan is offline Find More Posts by lgbfan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:36 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,951 Posts
The ASP's aren't exactly powerhouse engines as they're more what we consider a Sport engine.
I've built my share of .12 powered boats so I know what you're up against. A few were converted electric hulls but a few were built from kits. I built most of these at a time before a lot of parts were available as the AquaCraft and Proboat RTR boats made things a lot easier.
OK, now down to it. Is there any particular hull style that you like? Fiberglass hull, a wood kit or scratch-built?
Usually for a deep-vee hull you want something around 24" long. You can also possibly find some Cat hulls or an outrigger. The Zippkits JAE 12 is a good example of a 'rigger that would easily handle your engine.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Feb 2012
93 Posts
Build a rigger! with a fat tuned pipe...
MN fish is offline Find More Posts by MN fish
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:18 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,951 Posts
Yours wouldn't be fast as these little 'riggers can run in the 70 MPH+ range with the right powerplant but it would be a place to start with the ASP. Down the road you can drop in more power and it would be a bolt-in as the lug patterns are the same.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:46 PM
United States, NC, Whispering Pines
Joined Dec 2012
55 Posts
Stick it in a scale wooden model, it will run amazing. I built a dumas chris craft cobra, and converted it to gas. since it has a big area under the fin it worked out well. Upgraded from the Asp .12 to an .15, and it runs great. My .12 lasted a good 5 summers and about three gallons of nitro. Redoing boat now...
55Cobra is offline Find More Posts by 55Cobra