HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2013, 04:22 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,161 Posts
Most likely cause of an errant motor run is the trim position when the motor/ESC is activated ... make sure it's all the way down or else the ESC may not arm.
tkallev is online now Find More Posts by tkallev
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2013, 05:28 PM
United Kingdom, England, West Berkshire
Joined Feb 2009
18 Posts
Here goes with some new questions

Now have 11 chan rx in the glider so no shortage of chans to play with now.

It has flown and the crow breaking is good and the elev adjust is now OK when in crow.

I have not got along with the throttle on the slider on the side, it is most unatural and have now managed to get it to work on AUX 3 on MOTO and SPOI. (at least in monitor it works OK).

So starting from scratch..

Want to set up the throttle to only function on CRUISE / THERM and not in LAND where I want to the crow to be active.

Can only currently turn off the motor on another switch to disable when landing.

Also it would appear that trims are not set to be common between GLID flight modes..is this normal ?

Can upload my Mystique program if someone wants to look at it ?

Jon.
jengoe is offline Find More Posts by jengoe
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:31 PM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
903 Posts
Jon,

The problem with putting the crow and throttle on the same stick is that the conventional throttle idle position and the non-crow position are on the opposite end of the stick travel. Using the conventional positions, you have to reposition the stick from one end to the other as you change from cruise flight mode to landing and vice versa. This can get a little tricky if you want to have a burst of power while landing. I've set up my stick to do both but I reversed the travel for crow. The mere suggestion of pushing the stick forward for crow sends some people into orbit.

If you are using a DSX11, your transmitter functions differently than my JR11X. What you need is to have the MOTOR SYSTEM menu in the function list active. On mine, the [OUT] of either the MOTO (same as GEAR on the 11X) or AUX3 channels have to be set to MOT in the DEVICE SELECT menu. One other thing that has to be done is to set the [DEVICE] for one of these two channels to the SPOI STK. Play around with the DEVICE SELECT to see what you can do to get the MOTOR SYSTEM menu active.

Once the MOTOR SYSTEM menu is active, you can set motor hold for the landing mode. Set up your BRAKE SYSTEM menu for the crow to be active only for landing mode.

Concerning trims, the rudder and aileron trims can be either common for all modes or flight mode specific. Go to the TRIM SYSTEM menu and make the selection. The option on your transmitter may only be available if you have first established flight modes. The other trims are always flight mode specific in GLID if you have flight modes.

Allan
AWorrest is offline Find More Posts by AWorrest
Old Aug 22, 2013, 02:14 PM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
903 Posts
Aileron-to-Flap Trim

A problem has been reported with the XG11 aileron-to-flap mix trim option, page 1 of the FLAPERON MIX menu. It applies to JR11X that has been upgraded to the XG11 software and probably to those that haven't been upgraded as well. When the mix is negative, the activated aileron trim moves the flap in the wrong direction. See message #263 of http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post25909097

Allan
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:44 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
25,387 Posts
If this thread is still 'active', I have a Q for the JR 11X too...

I want to set up a new Sloapie using the GLID menu - up until now I usually use ACRO, because my sailplane collection hasn't had any with flaps.

Now that I've got flaps on my new plane, I'd like to set it up as a proper Glider using CROW, throttle-stick activated braking etc.

The first thing I noticed is that you can't set the plane up for dual ailerons - i.e. one aileron in each wing, but separately controlled via their own channel each instead of a Y-lead.

This option comes up when setting the Wing Type for an ACRO plane, but not for GLID.

Is there any simple way I can run 'dual ailerons' without having to resort to some sort of convoluted mix setup?

The aircraft is the glassed version of the Munzar Bird - 2 aileron servos, 2 flap servos in the wings, V-tail rear end with 2 servos in the fuselage (one each for Rud & Ele).

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:46 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,387 Posts
...oh yeah... and whose idea was it to take the second aileron control (when available) from the GEAR channel instead of AUX1?

That little gem nearly did my head in when trying to get the 'Dual Aileron' setup to work under ACRO...

BJ
Old Dec 15, 2014, 04:12 AM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
903 Posts
In GLID, the second aileron channel is always available. You can't get rid of it. The left aileron is on channel one and the right is on channel two. Take a look at the Monitor menu to see how the channels are assigned. It is different from ACRO.

The GLID channel order was established with the introduction of the XP9303 or the PCM9XII in rest of the world. The original PCM9X used the ACRO channel order, i.e., with the throttle on the first channel. As motorized sailplanes weren't nearly as popular as pure sailplanes at the time, the first channel went unused for the most part. The PCM9X was never marketed in the US. As I understand the history, Horizon here in the US asked a some top notch sailplane pilots to contribute their ideas on improving the PCM9X programming before its release here. One thing they did was to reorganize the channels so a six-channel receiver could be used for a full-house sailplane. Apparently JR and others thought the new layout was superior as the PCM9X was soon superceded by the PCM9XII which closely resembled the XP9303.

The 11X GLID programming continues with the 9303 philosophy. Among a number of improvements that have been made since the XP9303, improvement in motor control is significant. When the XP9303 was setup for dual ailerons and dual ailerons, the motor channel disappeared. It was still there but hidden. Without resorting to program mixes, motor control was limited to either the throttle stick or a switch. While the motor can't be put on the first channel in 11X's GLID, it is clearly present in the Monitor menu. The motor is supported by the 11X to a greater extent than it is on the 12X.

Allan
Last edited by AWorrest; Dec 15, 2014 at 04:41 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 06:34 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,387 Posts
You're a marvel, Allan

Thank you so much for your explanation and advice.

I gave up on trying to wade my way through that so-called "manual". It's such a disappointment, considering how much you pay for some of these Tx's.

Or maybe I'm just too thick. The info is probably there, but the documentation seems to be written in a way that assumes you already know what you are doing. More like a 'reference' manual rather than a 'how to', if you get my drift.

I would never have thought of trying the Port aileron through the Throttle port on the AR6200. I tried Gear, Aux1 etc. Probably too much electric flying in ACRO mode

I've just hooked the two Aileron servos up to the Rx - Starboard on Ail and Port on Throttle, and it works like a bought one

You obviously know your way around radio gear - do you work for JR or something?

Thanks again for your help - I'm pretty sure you solved a problem I was having a while ago on my DSX9.

BJ
Old Dec 18, 2014, 06:52 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,387 Posts
Say... is there somewhere you can get replacement 'mainboards' for JR stuff?

I just had a brain-fart last week and plugged a 3S LiPo into the charge port of my DSX9 (don't ask me how or why )

There was a pretty loud *crack* and smoke started to come out of the Tx before I had realised what I'd done.

Just about everything else in the World has the positive in the center and negative on the outside (shield). But for some dumb reason, the JR/Spektrum gear has the positive on the outside shield of the plug and negative on the center tap. I guess it's a bit like how the ole Mini's were positive earth.

Aaaaanyhoo... the upshot of my mistake is that there is an IC on the DSX9's mainboard that it totally shot now - burnt beyond recognition and bubbled/fused up. A couple of other components around it are also quite charred, and of course there's that burnt electrical stink throughout the whole Tx (still).

I'm guessing that the bits that blew are part of the voltage reg system (?) on the lower LH side of the main PCB. I can take a couple of pics, if that's any help.

If I knew what to buy to replace the components that fried, I reckon I'd be able to carefully swap them out (I do ok at soldering etc). But I doubt I'll ever find a circuit diagram that would detail what I need to get to do the fix.

So maybe there's a replacement mainboard or something that would do the trick? I love my old DSX9 and I'd hate to put it out to pasture for the sake of a few dead IC's etc...

BJ
Last edited by BJ64; Dec 18, 2014 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Added Pics
Old Dec 18, 2014, 08:43 AM
Malta & Newport
United States, RI, Newport
Joined May 2010
102 Posts
Oooh you let out the magic smoke.

Wonder how many here on RCG know that the early Mini's had positive earth with the headlight dipper switch on the floor?

If I'm not mistaken, main boards are available, however it might be easier to send it to JR Propo in Japan. If shipping and customs aren't too dear, I can honestly say from my dealings with them that their prices are really fair and had some superb work done in modifying an 11xZero.
If you need a contact name and details there, let me know and I'll pm them to you.
Cheers, Al
alexhallmalta is offline Find More Posts by alexhallmalta
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:36 PM
Joined Jun 2009
25,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhallmalta View Post
...Wonder how many here on RCG know that the early Mini's had positive earth with the headlight dipper switch on the floor?...
And that tricky 'starter button' down on the floor near the gearstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhallmalta View Post
...If you need a contact name and details there, let me know and I'll pm them to you...
Might take you up on that after Chrissie

Do you reckon they'd be able to give me a ballpark quote?

If it's going to be more than a hundred or so bucks, I may as well buy a good 2nd hand one from RCTrader etc...

BJ
Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM
Malta & Newport
United States, RI, Newport
Joined May 2010
102 Posts
Yup! That's the foot switch.

So, I had an 11xZero, it got upgraded software, switches changed to 3 position, and internally rebuilt, and then the front glass replaced and it got sent back to me as an XG11mv. All for the princely sum of 135US. Superb service from JR Propo!

The contact person there was first class, and supplied a very detailed quote with options.

Cheers,
an 1961 1071S owner, currently running 1380 for hill climbing.
alexhallmalta is offline Find More Posts by alexhallmalta
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,387 Posts
Might have to contact JR then

I had 2 '62 850's - go the "Brick"!

BJ