HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:02 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
708 Posts
F-14 v2

Construction of V2 has, finally, been completed !

During bench testing everything works like a charm. Most notably, the motors are running smoothly with no problems.

The final power setup is:

2 Micro Dan 2505 2535 Kv motors
2 Castle Creations Talon 35 amp ESCs
APC 6x4 counter rotating props
Thunder Power 2700 mah 3 cell packs
Total weight is around 42 oz

I went with an alternate decal set and am really happy with the results.

The major wiring change from the first version was installing the ESCs in the intake ducts. There should be enough turbulence in the front part of the ducts to provide ample cooling.

For belly landing protection, this time I used Duraclear varnish (it is similar to the water based Minwax). On the surfaces that actually contact the ground (the bottom of the intakes), I used the "glassing" technique with the varnish and coffee filters. All of the other surfaces that will be subject to scrapes and scratches were coated with many coats of just the varnish alone. Like the Minwax, just 2 or 3 coats does almost nothing. I found that about 8 coats (or in some areas even more, lol) the protection strength becomes much better. It is not dent or ding proof, but should keep the foam from being gouged or torn. The benefit is that with or without the coffee filters, the coating is virtually invisible and the jet looks fantastic. Whether or not it protects as well as packing tape will be an ongoing observation.

It is great to finally finish up the build, and I'm looking forward to getting a lot of flights from both of my F-14s !

Cheers !
RPatrick is offline Find More Posts by RPatrick
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:33 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,196 Posts
Great to hear that you have finally finished your V2 Tomcat.! My plane is 42oz as well...but, I'm shame to say that I haven't taken it out for a spin yet. But it would be interesting to see how your number 2 takes to the air.

How heavy is your V1?
G-LO is online now Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Aug 25, 2014, 09:36 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
708 Posts
Hi Angelo,

The first build was 39.6 oz. The additional weight of the second one is mostly from bigger servos, a heavier battery, and more paint.

After repairing the first one, it ended up being over 41 oz, and I have probably had it at up to 43 oz during C of G testing.

I really didn't notice much difference between 39 and 43 oz during general flying, although straight up vertical flying power did seem to decrease a bit.

My second setup should have more power than the first, so I anticipate another great flying F-14 !
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:53 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,196 Posts
Great, looking forward to it*
G-LO is online now Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Sep 23, 2014, 03:14 PM
Joined Feb 2010
402 Posts
Nice going there Patrick, awesome work.
Good to see your boss finally gave you some time to work on that cat hey!

A vid? anytime soon?
colinski is offline Find More Posts by colinski
Old Sep 23, 2014, 08:45 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
708 Posts
Hey there Colin !

I gave some thought to a video, but not really planning on doing one yet. My video guy, my brother, has been busy with a new baby, work, and other things. When we do get the rare chance to get together, we've been wanting to just relax and fly or whatever. I must defer to my original F-14 vid at this time.

I certainly do appreciate all of your footage though. When it comes to making F-14 vids, you are the best !
Old Sep 24, 2014, 03:29 PM
Joined Feb 2010
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrick View Post
Hey there Colin !

I gave some thought to a video, but not really planning on doing one yet. My video guy, my brother, has been busy with a new baby, work, and other things. When we do get the rare chance to get together, we've been wanting to just relax and fly or whatever. I must defer to my original F-14 vid at this time.

I certainly do appreciate all of your footage though. When it comes to making F-14 vids, you are the best !
Ha ha! LOL. The best??? Hardly, I struggle like everyone else! But comming from a hardcore Tomcat builder like yourself I do aprreciate the compliment.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:52 AM
Fly,Crash, Burn,Fix, repeat
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2013
387 Posts
Love this thread. I was hoping to get some motor ideas for mine but it appears there is a bigger difference in weight between the 60mm and 70mm air frames (1200g's to 2150g's) than I thought at first.

On my 6mmflyrc kit I use a single MT2836 1400kv using 45A ESC with 8x6 on a 2200mah 4S and it's perfect for that frame, although I get a huge bank right torque on launch. The AUW is 1225 and I've calculated the thrust inbetween 1600-1800g's.

With the Starmax 70mm kit I'm thinking to use twin MT2836 1400kv with counter rotating 7x6SF APC's props. The thrust calcs out at around 1300-1400g's per motor prop so I'm hoping for around 3200-3600g's total. I'll be pulling 90A at WOT but that's way less then the EDF setup.

If anyone has a better idea for a twin power setup, please I would love to hear it. I'm still in the designing stage while I wait for the air frame to arrive.

Thanks
Gravy
Gravythe Clown is offline Find More Posts by Gravythe Clown
Old Dec 10, 2014, 04:41 PM
Joined Feb 2010
402 Posts
LX f-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravythe Clown View Post
Love this thread. I was hoping to get some motor ideas for mine but it appears there is a bigger difference in weight between the 60mm and 70mm air frames (1200g's to 2150g's) than I thought at first.

On my 6mmflyrc kit I use a single MT2836 1400kv using 45A ESC with 8x6 on a 2200mah 4S and it's perfect for that frame, although I get a huge bank right torque on launch. The AUW is 1225 and I've calculated the thrust inbetween 1600-1800g's.

With the Starmax 70mm kit I'm thinking to use twin MT2836 1400kv with counter rotating 7x6SF APC's props. The thrust calcs out at around 1300-1400g's per motor prop so I'm hoping for around 3200-3600g's total. I'll be pulling 90A at WOT but that's way less then the EDF setup.

If anyone has a better idea for a twin power setup, please I would love to hear it. I'm still in the designing stage while I wait for the air frame to arrive.

Thanks
Gravy
Hi,

I am going with twin ntm 2836 2700kv s on a LX Cat.
THese motors are awesome on 3s.

I also fly the twin 70mm starmax with pusher props.
Twin 2350kv HK outrunners. on 3s. 6x4 apc props.
Scoots along nicely.!

Check it out!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post30166526

@RPPatrick: How are you doing??!!

I figured out a way to get some airstrem past those motors and stil mount it on the outlet nozzle face.

Hope this works! Ha ha!
Last edited by colinski; Dec 10, 2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 05:02 PM
Fly,Crash, Burn,Fix, repeat
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2013
387 Posts
Hey Love your builds and looking forward to your flight vids. I'm still on ready 5 waiting to maiden my 70mm. I'm having issues with my front gear and getting it tight so it will track straight.

I'm posting because I found a great why to mount my twin 2836 2300 KV motors on my 70mm and thought it might give you some ideas. I use 50mm fan housings. You can check out my pic here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2280293

Thanks
Gravy
Gravythe Clown is offline Find More Posts by Gravythe Clown
Old Dec 11, 2014, 09:03 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
708 Posts
Doing well, thank you !

Hey guys, nice improvement on mounting the motors in both cases. Clean looking with superior airflow !

RPatrick