Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:16 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16 View Post
I see an upgrade in your future if the stock one fails
Hehe I know eh? But in all honesty I sorta want a second one... but for now I'm pretty much stuck to modifying what I have in the hangar with visible to me only expenses... the wife is in nesting mode as we are having twins at the end of the year, and is a bit vocal about spending money on anything other than babies. Although I can get my way, just bought a nice mixer for my turntables, as she enjoys the music so I just have to put a positive spin on things like how I'll be teaching our kids aerodynamic principles and the importance of lift and other nonsense. Should buy me at least one new airframe by Xmas.
Still working out if she would be able to tell the difference between my old Parkzone Corsair and the one coming out... "yes honey this plane always had retracts..." [scuttles old one to the bottom of the ocean]

She still flies pretty good, not much difference in performance but I can tell the sound is starting to sound unbalanced and rough at spots in the throttle. I think I should be happy though with 20-30 flights on the exceed powerplant. It's about all I can ask for a cheapo ARF power setup and I run full throttle a lot now with her. In a couple weeks it will be out of the plane. If she wasn't such a floater I would be more concerned.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:57 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispintechno View Post
Just ordered a bunch of LED stuff from Hobbypartz and Hobbyking today, including 20amp brushed ESC and Turnigy Nano-tech 180mah 3s battery (still pretty light).

In a couple weeks I'll be playing with some Afterburner effects for this F-18 if I bought the right stuff.
Seems Windrider shipped the CS10 fan yesterday too.
Should have a sound and visual upgrade to this plane by September.
what motor do you plan to use?
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:18 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
what motor do you plan to use?
I'll see if it survives the bench test first but I'll try a Hobby King 2800kv motor with only a few flights on it (out of my F-4 that I kept crash landing), off 4S 30c packs.
I have a E-flite power meter and programming card for the Turnigy speed controller. If it ends up running a little hot I'll change the timing of the ESC to keep it in one piece. Going to try to keep it at/under 60amps. The ESC is a 60amp with 80 amp burst.

Not my dream set-up, but should do until eventually get something better. If the plane sounds better/quieter I'll be happy. If I gain a few knots of airspeed I'll be even happier!

The motor actually really hauled ass in the F-4, way faster than the F-18 but that probably has more to do with the airframe differences. I metered both planes and they pulled around the same numbers, the F-18 is bigger, draggier, especially with ordinance under the wings. The CS10 fan from what I understand is going to pull more amps and watts under load so I may have reduce the ESC timing to a safe parameter. Shall see. The difference between high and medium timing with the CS10 fan I bet will be about 100watts or close to it. Will definitely drop the amps down if i have to do it. Right now the ESC is programmed balls to the wall which was great for the HK 6 blade rotor.
Last edited by Ispintechno; Aug 14, 2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:37 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
993 Posts
Ive been looking at the CS10 combos and trying to decide what to do. I have the fan already and i got a turnigy l2855 but mine is 2100kv and think i waisted my money cuz i am not gonna be able to use it.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:50 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Ive been looking at the CS10 combos and trying to decide what to do. I have the fan already and i got a turnigy l2855 but mine is 2100kv and think i waisted my money cuz i am not gonna be able to use it.
Might be a great motor on 6S? You might find down the road you'll be glad to have it. On 4S though I think you'll need at least 2700kv however to get any real power. I'm not an expert on that though. The hobby king motor I have was pretty inexpensive, rumored to be closer to 3000kv actual, but has pretty poor cooling. I'm not sure how long it will last so I'm not banking on it being the final motor for this plane.
I see you are running 2s in series, that should give you an advantage CGing the plane being able to transfer battery weight independently. Pretty slick.
Maybe try adding a 3rd battery to the mix with that motor...
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:19 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
993 Posts
Ya there are a few advantages to running batteries in series but my main concern was saving a few bucks and not having to get a bigger charger. mine does 2 and 3s so i can run 4 and 6s without having to get anything new.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:23 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,868 Posts
Quote:
I think lucas has used that motor pretty good on 6s with lower than 40c packs around 3300mah size and has flown well and reliable..

I bench tested a CP 480 2500 with a CP motor with a 65c pack and got over 6lbs of thrust with it at 109 amps..that's way too much power through the windings of that motor and I suspect the same for the 2100kv HK motors too....looks like if we stay below 3000watts of constant power on the pack the motors are good.

I've decided to use my 65c packs on bigger motors, the smaller motors that are already peaked don't like them at all.

I have two 2100 kv motors I'm going to put to work on an airliner on 6s...
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:47 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
993 Posts
my biggest fear about using the L2855 is its rated for 42amp max and only 900w.

Here it is on HK
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:06 AM
Joined Apr 2009
115 Posts
Does anyone have a link to instructions for programming the stock ESC? I bought a CS fan and turnegy 28-55 2800kv motor to try. Initially it appears to have about the same power as the stock setup. I want to try setting the timing to high and see what happens.
carlcorn is offline Find More Posts by carlcorn
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,868 Posts
Quote:
my biggest fear about using the L2855 is its rated for 42amp max and only 900w.

Here it is on HK
That's prop ratings not edf ratings
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:42 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
That's prop ratings not edf ratings

how do i know if it can handle it or not then?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,868 Posts
Quote:
how do i know if it can handle it or not then?
Others have tested the motor and ran it on 6s in the 70mm cs10 thread.

Look for 2100kv and you'll find the post on it.

Someone tested the motor with a pack that put out more than 3kw constant and the motor burnt so stay below 40c and you're ok.

Really there's no good way to tell if these combos work unless they're bench tested...I really like it when I can see bench numbers on video too
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:59 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
993 Posts
i saw guys talking about the 2800 but i must have missed the 2100...thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:04 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlcorn View Post
Does anyone have a link to instructions for programming the stock ESC? I bought a CS fan and turnegy 28-55 2800kv motor to try. Initially it appears to have about the same power as the stock setup. I want to try setting the timing to high and see what happens.
I think you're going to need a new ESC for that motor and fan, the stock exceed ESC is only 50amps I think. I'm in the same boat, going to try a 2800kv motor with the CS fan. The stock motor and fan pulls around 41 amps as is, with a CS10 load at around the same KV I suspect it might surpass 60amps on high timing.

The only way to know for sure I guess is the ole' bench test with a watt meter, but I imagine CS10 and 2800kv on 4S will cook the exceed ESC.
I'm going to try a Turnigy plush 60amp ESC, if it's over taxed I`ll grab a 80 amp one eventially. For a few bucks they come with a programming card that is super easy to change the settings without fiddling with transmitter, from ESC timing to what kind of song the airplane starts up with when you plug in the battery lol
Last edited by Ispintechno; Aug 14, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:33 PM
Progress with the process...
NE Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
143 Posts
Here is a link to the known test results...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1601868

I think Ispintechno is right about your esc...

Turnigy L2855 2800KV
4S 4000 40C
Vm 14.36
Ap 63.47
Wp 950.0
Thrust(Kg) 1.6
g/w: 1.67
M3ATpl0w is offline Find More Posts by M3ATpl0w