SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 24, 2014, 05:30 PM
Joined Oct 2008
77 Posts
Hi Art,

I will scan my hole index so you can see where the second set of holes go...I need to find it first.

Happy flying and soft landings!

Sean
ser001 is offline Find More Posts by ser001
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:16 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,040 Posts
ser001--

The metal centerline indicator in my jig kit is made of steel, and measures .063 thick, by .504 wide by 3.3865 long, or about 1/2" wide and 3 3/8 long.
Balsabird is offline Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:11 AM
Joined Oct 2008
77 Posts
Thanks a million Balsabird!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 08:57 PM
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Jul 2013
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsabird View Post
ser001--

The metal centerline indicator in my jig kit is made of steel, and measures .063 thick, by .504 wide by 3.3865 long, or about 1/2" wide and 3 3/8 long.
I recently dug out my full house A-Justo-Jig, after returning to the hobby after a pause of a couple of decades, prior to which I used the jig for perhaps 20 years.

It's still a great jig and here are a few comments based on my experience with it.

I've never used the metal centerline indicator; it's pretty easy to eyeball the wing centerline looking down on the jig and from where wing top and bottom spars from each wing half meet; also the indicator is a just a friction fit into a groove cut into wood dihedral box so its thickness should fit whatever width groove is cut; the other dimensions and whether it is wood,metal, or whatever are not critical.

the rib locators are pretty tough; I've never broke or chipped one

WinglessB's plans for the rib jig indexer are great and his thickening the clear plastic shield to something like 1/16" or more is an improvement over the original thin shield as I think a thicker lip around the two guide 5/32" anchoring rod holes 2" apart would give more guidance to a sharpened brass tube creating the holes in the balsa rib.
I extended my rib jig indexer to around 20" in length to accommodate some 16 or 17" ribs for quarter scale models.

Modern, small and cheap digital levels like the Tilt Box can set either the dihedral lines on the dihedral box or the dihedral setting for any specific wing easily and accurately.

You can build wing tip washout by incrementally altering the position of the rear hole in the ribs as they approach the wing tip.

My A-Justo-jig came with 26 rib locators and 4 fuselage former locators; plenty in my experience.

good luck,

Michael
2michaely is online now Find More Posts by 2michaely
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:35 PM
Joined Oct 2008
77 Posts
High 2michaely,

Thanks for your responses. I just wanted to point out that I made a mistake in saying that the rib index locator was done by WinglessB. It was designed/created by Alpha35.

Sean
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:23 PM
Joined Oct 2008
77 Posts
Hi Art,

I wanted to let you know that I did not forget you concerning the rib hole indexer. I found it and will scan it tonight for you.

Sean
Old Sep 03, 2014, 06:45 PM
Just Keeping UP
United States, ID, Moyie Springs
Joined May 2004
1,773 Posts
My A-justo-jig arrived in the mail yesterday. (Thanks Epoxyearl!)

With an actual original rib support in hand I was able to tweak the dimensions of my replica and produce a final design. I didn't realize just how thick the original is: 3/8", or 9.5mm. I have been printing my designs at 5mm thick.

I'm curious, if those who might want to buy new rib supports would want the stock 3/8" thickness, or would be willing to have thinner ones to reduce cost? At 9.5mm thick, my 3D printed rib support will cost $1.75 each.

My design works with the fuselage jig parts just like the original rib supports.

So now the question is: Is there anyone that actually wants to buy replacement rib supports? If so, contact me via PM. I can print in other colors too: red, white, black, & blue.

Nick
nfhill is offline Find More Posts by nfhill
Old Nov 09, 2014, 02:49 PM
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Jul 2013
68 Posts
.... the going price of a-justo-jigs on ebay is pretty steep; the current bid on a used 'full house' set, is around $130 u.s., with a close of around 1pm tomorrow, Monday, nov.10th .... this one, with a fair amount of hanger rash on the supports, sold for $142.50.
On Nov. 17th, on ebay auction, a "lightly used" full house set sold for $152.50.

....hmmm... and there is an incomplete set on eby also : no fuse formers and no rib indexing tool, but the rest, from the pictures, seems new, with the seller's floor being $80 u.s. with a close of 4:48 pm (it's 2:49pm in my time zone at present)...... for someone who wants the wing jig, getting it around $80 could be a good deal as the indexing jig is easy to make and as someone in this thread has already posted, can be improved up by using a thicker piece of clear plastic to guide a brass tube to cut out the holes in the ribs for the 5/32" music wire rods.... and shop built fuselage jigs are better than the fuselage addition to the a-justo-jig, in my opinion.

good luck,

Michael
2michaely is online now Find More Posts by 2michaely
Last edited by 2michaely; Nov 16, 2014 at 08:53 PM. Reason: added the final auction prices
Old Dec 13, 2014, 09:08 PM
United States, VA, Fauquier County
Joined Dec 2014
1 Posts
I would be interested in your new updated Jig. I have an older one and it works great but would really like to see what updates you will make!

Thank you,

Steve O
Steve O is offline Find More Posts by Steve O