HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2007, 06:11 AM
Joined May 2005
794 Posts
Discussion
magpie AP wing on SS question...

those of you that use the magpie AP wing on your SS....what did you gain by doing that if anything?? thinking about it but am wondering what the advantages are..???does it fly slower? can it carry more payload??? thx for your input...
zakstang is offline Find More Posts by zakstang
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2007, 11:56 AM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
It stays in the air longer, less drag. Wing area is about the same, but you use less battery to get where you need to go. It lands faster, but not that fast as it is quite manageable. I use this combination all the time as the magpie fuse seemed to weathervane into the wind to much. You can prob get twice the flight time out of a charge with the magpie wing.

Dave
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
Old Oct 03, 2007, 12:51 PM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
948 Posts
What Dave said, plus it can handle wind much better than the stock wing. Having tried both, I personally prefer the Steven's Aero balsa SoarStick wing, which is a similar in size to the Magpie AP wing, but includes ailerons/flaps and is very light (~5oz with HS-55 servos, a carbon fiber leading edge, and a SolarFilm covering which is heavier than SoLite). With both the replacement wings I've found better handling when using 2 "front" wing mounts from the SS kit, vs. using the shorter rear wing mount-- seems to keep the wing more parallel to the fuse.

Cheers,
-Max
maximal is offline Find More Posts by maximal
Old Oct 03, 2007, 05:51 PM
Joined May 2005
794 Posts
thx ordering one tonight...
zakstang is offline Find More Posts by zakstang