Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 25, 2006, 09:19 AM
Terre Haute
Joined Jul 2004
77 Posts
Discussion
E-Flite Cap 232 BP Arf

Thought some of you might like to take a look at this looks interesting.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2400
Nubie is offline Find More Posts by Nubie
Last edited by Nubie; Oct 26, 2006 at 09:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2006, 05:29 PM
That's not flying...
Cedar Park, TX
Joined Dec 2004
139 Posts
I'm looking to replace a floppy 15oz foamy with something more precise. This seems like a good candidate.

Clark
FallingWithStyle is offline Find More Posts by FallingWithStyle
Old Dec 19, 2006, 05:12 PM
We fly the fun stuff
Caldwell, Idaho
Joined Dec 2005
248 Posts
Anybody have one?
newkid is offline Find More Posts by newkid
Old Dec 21, 2006, 08:28 AM
D/FW
Joined Aug 2004
703 Posts
A buddy of mine wants one. He called them and I believe they said it wasn't available until early spring. Has anyone heard anything different?
JoeDirtRC is offline Find More Posts by JoeDirtRC
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:42 AM
Reserved Parking
Joined Jun 2004
926 Posts
Yep. Over on RCU Jon Redman said they are in, and should be showing up at the LHS next week sometime.
P-51C is offline Find More Posts by P-51C
Old Dec 21, 2006, 03:57 PM
D/FW
Joined Aug 2004
703 Posts
I'm sure my friend will be happy to hear that. Thanks P-51
JoeDirtRC is offline Find More Posts by JoeDirtRC
Old Dec 28, 2006, 03:22 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Jun 2005
140 Posts
Yesterday I bought the e-flite Cap on an impulse. First, I will say that I am impressed with the overall quality. It is built light and strong and the covering job is very good. My last few e-flite planes came in on the heavy side (especially the Edge 540) but this one seems very light.

I really dig the hardwear that came with the plane. Carbon fiber pushrods and plastic clevises and horns. And, not those el cheapo horns that they used to use but much more substantial ones. The outrunner stick mount was also a nice touch. It is the same one that they sell for five or six bucks. Also, I love the steerable tail wheel. Good job on that one plus the main aluminum gear holds up well.

Construction is very nice. It is balsa sticks with sheeting over it. Even the wing LE is sheeted which I really like but it does seem a little soft in places. My favorite part of the design is the total lack of counter balances on the control surfaces. Some how I always seem to snag them in the grass and rip elevators off.

It was pretty windy today so I could not really wring it out. Harriers are mostly stable and with a little spoileron it settles in nicely. Waterfalls are also good.

Once the wind died a little I was finally able to get it in a hover. It does alright at the recommended CG but I ended up moving it back a quarter inch (for five inches). Once I did that it really locked in and I was able to get it down a couple of feet off the ground, even in the wind.

My only beef with it so far is the flat spins. My old Katana 35 was able to lock in to a spin then climb easily. The Cap will do it but, it takes some trying. However, it could have just been the wind. Also, blenders are mostly non-existant but then again I have not met an electric profile that will do them well.

I don't have a scale but I think the Cap ended up being a little lighter than the Katana 35 (my fav) so that seems to balance out the slightly smaller wing area. I did vastly over power mine with a Park 480 and 1800 20C lipo but it still floats around. Speaking of batteries. I have always hated how most profiles require you to use velcro to attach the batt. I flew the Cap the first time with it velcroed to the side but it seemed to put too much stress on the covering. So, I cut out one of the sections of covering above the wing and glued in two CF rods to hold the lipo securely. Much better now.
alpapilot is offline Find More Posts by alpapilot
Old Dec 28, 2006, 03:38 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2004
144 Posts
Congrats Alpapilot.
I have been eyeing this one for some time as a repacement for my EF Yak-55.
I have always loved CAP's and there is a Hyperion Z2213/20 & Phoenix23 waiting for this one

Can you post some hi-res shots of the battery modification !
Thanks
jatt5abdaa is offline Find More Posts by jatt5abdaa
Old Dec 28, 2006, 04:53 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Jun 2005
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatt5abdaa
Can you post some hi-res shots of the battery modification !
Thanks
Is this good enough? I can take some more if need be.
alpapilot is offline Find More Posts by alpapilot
Old Jan 06, 2007, 07:19 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,418 Posts
I looked this one over at the LHS today, and I am very impresed with the overall quality of this bird! I have allways said that arf's were over built and over weight! Well e-flight must have been listening because this one is an arf work of art! At $79 bucks you could not finish a kit (covering, trim, glue) for anywhere near this price!

I'm gonna get one as soon as the Christmas buying shock has faded. (you know, the wife)!!!
mike3976 is online now Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:07 AM
Heli Whore
Waunakee, WI
Joined Jun 2003
156 Posts
Hate to bring this(nearly) dead thread back, but I'm picking mine up tomorrow along with a couple other goodies.

I'll put up some pics
fiveoboy01 is offline Find More Posts by fiveoboy01
Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:55 AM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
United States, AL, Tuscaloosa
Joined Nov 2004
1,678 Posts
I need a little advice here.
I have an AXI 2212/26 on hand. This model for an E-Flite Park 450BL which I don't have. How do the two motors compare? I'll be using an APC 11x3.8 slowflyer prop, an E-Flite 20amp ESC and a TP1320mAh PL 11.1v battery pack. The two motors look like a close match but I'm having a hard time comparing apples to apples.
Thanks!!!

Harry
harrymc is offline Find More Posts by harrymc
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:47 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
Joined Nov 2004
1,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymc
I need a little advice here.
I have an AXI 2212/26 on hand. This model for an E-Flite Park 450BL which I don't have. How do the two motors compare? I'll be using an APC 11x3.8 slowflyer prop, an E-Flite 20amp ESC and a TP1320mAh PL 11.1v battery pack. The two motors look like a close match but I'm having a hard time comparing apples to apples.
Thanks!!!

Harry
Anybody???
Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:49 PM
United States, WA, Kapowsin
Joined Jun 2004
461 Posts
Hi Harry: Ive See the AXI 221/26 On an Airfoilz Yak go Vertical!! Give The AXI a Try With 10X4.7 Prop! Its Definitely Worth the Try! Seeing is you Already have the AXI!! Good Luck & Happy Flying!! JP
Yardbee is offline Find More Posts by Yardbee
Last edited by Yardbee; Jan 10, 2007 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Revised Description
Old Jan 10, 2007, 06:48 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
Joined Nov 2004
1,678 Posts
Thanks Yardbee!
I probably will try it since I have it.
I also have an E-Flite 480 new in the box but I think that motor is overkill.
Add's more weight and pulls a little too hard on the 1320 battery.
It would be a rocketship though wouldn't it?