HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2014, 03:23 AM
Joined Mar 2014
11 Posts
Question
Walkera QR X800 and Devo F12 setup?

Hi folks!

Just got my new drone: Walkera QR X800 w. iLook+ -camera and Devo F12. Everything works fine except I cannot figure out how to start and stop video recording during a flight (not to mention how to take a still photo). I've tried everything I can and have no hope any more.

Do you have any ideas ?
IsaAurinkoinen is offline Find More Posts by IsaAurinkoinen
Last edited by IsaAurinkoinen; Aug 09, 2014 at 08:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2014, 02:11 PM
Joined Jul 2014
39 Posts
Yup, I know! I had the same problem, took me 1 week to future it out see below:The QRx800 came with a white pigtail attached to it for the 2D gimble, this pigtail (blue/blk wire) was wired to the RX706 at the Aux1 location, this of course was only good for the 2D gimble setup and maybe only for 12e/10/f12 only. Since I requested the 3D gimble/F12E the (Blk gimble pigtail is needed to make this work...So I attached the blk 3D gimble pigtail and needed to also move the blue/blk wire connection to the Aux2 position (it was attached to the Aux1 position originally) on the RX706, at that point I was able to decide to use AILE switch for camera on/off record via the device output screen...

This was a confusing problem, for future Walkera should be sure to only include the correct pigtail for the specific gimble ordered and also explain that if using a RX706 with 3D gimble F12E the blue/blk wires should be connected to the Aux2 on the RX706 and select AILE on the F12E device output, this will allow for the correct operation of the camera
Sandman2020 is offline Find More Posts by Sandman2020
Old Aug 09, 2014, 02:15 PM
Joined Jul 2014
39 Posts
Let me know if your not sure of everything I said, I can help if something seems confusing
Old Aug 10, 2014, 05:21 AM
Joined Mar 2014
11 Posts
Hi Sandman2020!

Thank you for the advise. I will get my 3D gimbal tomorrow and I'll try this then. I have to admit that I did not understand all you said but maybe it will clear out when I open the hood. But just to be sure: Do I need to buy another wiring for the 3D gimbal in order to get it work? Or is this pigtail included in the new 3D package?

EDIT// Actually... There is this Black/Blue pigtail in AUX1 -position. And all the other slots are full also. In Device Output listing there is no AUX1 listed or assigned at all. I now have this G-2D gimbal installed but tomorrow I will get the G-3D gimbal.
Last edited by IsaAurinkoinen; Aug 10, 2014 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old Aug 10, 2014, 03:31 PM
Joined Jul 2014
39 Posts
on the RX706 from top to bottom:
Data bus=(red/wht)goes to the FCS800
Aux1=leave open
Auz2=connect blu/blk wire coming from the gimble(this is the cameral on/off Note the blu/blk wire is connected to a 3 wire connector that takes 3 wires(red/wht/blk) and bundles them into the blu/blk wires that run down to connect to the gimbal harness
Aux3=leave open
Aux4=one landing gear(red/wht)
Aux5=one landing gear(red/wht)
Aux6=camera pit
Aux7=cameral rol

This wiring is for the RX706! not the RX704
If your QR x800 has the RX706 then follow my above instruction just follow the wires i listed to confirm the are going where I tell you to put them. The on the F12E find (device output under model menu) there you will see the list of items they are as follows
gear=mix sw
flap=rudd d/r
aux2=aile d/r(***this is the one you change it will say (elev d/r) change to (aile d/r)
aux3=fmod sw
aux4=gear sw
aux5=gear sw
aux6= aux5 kb
aux7= aux6 kb
Now when you confirm you have done all of this turn everything off and put in your sd card then power everything up. you will be able to activate camera recording using the (aile d/r switch)
the bottom two above control pit/rol on camera. and the aux2 will control the camera record and this is done by moving the switch down for 1 sec then back you will see a red light blinking on camera and radio, thats recording, move switch down 1 sec and back up to turn record off.

Try these steps. If your not sure take a couple pics for me of your wiring RX706 etc. and post here so I can see to help you
Old Aug 10, 2014, 04:43 PM
Joined Mar 2014
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman2020 View Post
Try these steps. If your not sure take a couple pics for me of your wiring RX706 etc. and post here so I can see to help you
Ok, thanks! I'll check that tomorrow. It's way past midnight here...
Old Aug 11, 2014, 03:57 AM
Joined Mar 2014
11 Posts
Yeah... There's the problem. I have RX704 Do you have any idea where to get RX706? I have tried to find it from the internet but no success.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 01:25 PM
Joined Jul 2014
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaAurinkoinen View Post
Yeah... There's the problem. I have RX704 Do you have any idea where to get RX706? I have tried to find it from the internet but no success.
OK, check this… You probably have one of the little blk gimble wires connected to aux 6 on the RX704. Those little blk wires are 1 is rol, 1 is pit, one is a grn. the grn wire does not need to be connected
If one of those little blk wires is plugged in to AUX 6, undo it, then Take the blue/blk wire and connect it to aux 6 position, then go to the device output under model menu and tell it that aux 6 is the AILE r/d switch….

The gimble only needs rol and pit…. don't ask me why the other little wire is their, I don't know. But I do know what the others do…..
This is a link to a video showing the wiring from a RX704 to a RX706 and the RX706 upgrade procedure….
Walkera QR X800 upgrade device for DEVO F12E Instruction (7 min 26 sec)

I don't know if you need the RX706 to use the F12E or if you need to upgrade the firmware to use the RX704 with the F12E….. If all this fails go to www.walkera.com and send in a service question concerning the RX704 with F12E set-up
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:03 PM
Norway, Buskerud, Gol
Joined Jun 2014
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman2020 View Post
OK, check this… You probably have one of the little blk gimble wires connected to aux 6 on the RX704. Those little blk wires are 1 is rol, 1 is pit, one is a grn. the grn wire does not need to be connected
If one of those little blk wires is plugged in to AUX 6, undo it, then Take the blue/blk wire and connect it to aux 6 position, then go to the device output under model menu and tell it that aux 6 is the AILE r/d switch….

The gimble only needs rol and pit…. don't ask me why the other little wire is their, I don't know. But I do know what the others do…..
This is a link to a video showing the wiring from a RX704 to a RX706 and the RX706 upgrade procedure…. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJzJdCzQEJg
I don't know if you need the RX706 to use the F12E or if you need to upgrade the firmware to use the RX704 with the F12E….. If all this fails go to www.walkera.com and send in a service question concerning the RX704 with F12E set-up
RX706 is not released yet, you will need this for telemetry

https://www.facebook.com/walkera.eur...33718733523433
tosi is offline Find More Posts by tosi
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:09 PM
Joined Mar 2014
11 Posts
Ok! Thanks! Will try that tomorrow. If it fails, I'll wait for the RX706. And btw... I have Devo F12, not F12E if that means something...
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:51 PM
Joined Jul 2014
39 Posts
that means a-lot of something!!

The main thing to understand is that the blu/blk wire controls the camera record and the little 3 together blk ones control pit and rol…… You have to connect the blu/blk to something on the RX704 then you have to find what your radio corresponds to…. I'm not totally sure, but the mix, gear, fmod settings need to be in the correct places on the RX704….reference your quick start guide…. the only other controls are related to the gimble pit/rol and camera on/off
I'm just guessing now but I bet you need to move the blu/blk to the Aux2 position on the RX704… I bet they just connected those 2 backwards

When you get your 3d gimble see what pigtails they give you this might be what you need….
If your totally stumped send walker the specific request asking for correct wiring pattern…. Let me know either way if you get it fixed or not…I would like to know for reference
Old Aug 11, 2014, 03:09 PM
Joined Mar 2014
11 Posts
Yeah... I got 3D gimbal today and it came with VERY short wiring. I will try different positions for that tomorrow. The RX704 is very well hidden inside the drone and it's quite a job to work with short wires. Actually, when I installed that today earlier the blk/blue pigtail came loose and I didn't know where it originally was. So, if I remember correctly, I connected it to AUX2. And surprisingly it didn't work as I hoped. But let's see... :P
Old Aug 11, 2014, 07:49 PM
Joined Jul 2014
39 Posts
Disconnect the landing gear connectors, push them up through the holes in the frame… then you can pull the RX out carefully ,it will come out… it's stuck with sticky tape. Once it's pulled out a little you can see all the connections. try to take a couple pics of this and the gimble wires etc… I can see a lot from pics if you have something a little messed up.. don't loose faith, I was in the same problem as you but with a little "thinking" this is fixable. Although mine was set-up a little different with the RX706 F12E. I now understand the thing much better since going through this..

You still have to tell the F12 what to control, although you may have connected it to Aux2 on the RX you still have to tell the radio to set the AUX2 to AILE d/r…..either way please take a couple pics and post here, I can't tell if you connected something wrong until I see
Last edited by Sandman2020; Aug 11, 2014 at 07:56 PM. Reason: added text
Old Aug 12, 2014, 04:24 AM
Joined Mar 2014
11 Posts
Well, well... It sure was easier to handle that when landing gear connectors were disconnected
Now the wiring looks like this:
- Data Bus
AUX1: gimbal PITCH
AUX2: blu/blk from gimbal (labeled "Camera SIG wire)
AUX3: Landing gear
AUX4: Landing gear
AUX5: gimbal ROLL
AUX6: gimbal GND
AUX7: empty

Here's the picture (Data Bus disconnected in the pic)
Old Aug 12, 2014, 04:39 AM
Joined Mar 2014
11 Posts
Oh YEAH !!! Now it works!

I just had to teach F12 where that wire was. Now I have assigned that to TRN-switch which is in good position.

Sandman2020: I owe you many beers! Thank you very, VERY much!!