Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:41 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,245 Posts
Rex,
No, that's too much of a rush. I'll be flying the Chipmunk in the Sat. event and won't be flying the Sun. contest unless I can fly and finish before 11Am ...and that doesn't look promising.
I plan to fly the little one in the Oct. IMAC.

Garry
rowdyjoe is offline Find More Posts by rowdyjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2013, 07:35 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,245 Posts
It's a good thing I wasn't counting on getting the little 70" Extra ready for the short IMAC contest on the 10th. It arrived to day but, the vendor sent the wrong color plane.
The seller hasn't answered my emails yet and their phone goes to an answering machine. So, I don't know what they will do about it.
It seems they have 3 different color schemes (A,B, or C) for this bird but, this one (C) wasn't pictured on their site. I ordered B and would have accepted A without a problem ....so, I get the one that wasn't pictured and wouldn't have chosen. Go figure.

Garry
Old Aug 07, 2013, 11:12 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,245 Posts
I returned the Extra for a refund. I didn't like the color scheme or the discount he offered for sending the wrong one. So, I'm still shopping around.

Garry
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:58 AM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
Joined Jan 2013
94 Posts
Scratch Building A Twin Engined EDF

Here's a picture of the twin engined jet I'm building. What I've built, so far anyway. The fuselage is 45". The wingspan will be 50" (including the angled wing tips) and have an area of 480 square inches. The weight will be approximately 5lbs (I hope) with a wing loading of around 24oz per square foot.

It will have two RC Lander 70mm electric ducted fans and should produce 1800 watts and result in approximately 360 watts per pound. That may be overkill...we'll see. It will also have E-flite retracts.

The wing is not my design. It is a Tower Hobbies Voyager wing cut down to 44" and modified to take retracts and simpler, more stable wing tips. I bought the wing for about $40 from tower and stripped it down. I'm hoping the plane will be ready to maiden before the electric fly-in in November.

I may need a better pilot than me to maiden it. Any volunteers?
Sunbyrd is offline Find More Posts by Sunbyrd
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:29 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,245 Posts
Lookin' very nice. Let us know when the first flight will take place. I'd like to see it fly. You might ask Tom B. about piloting the first flight. That guy can fly anything with wings.

Garry
Old Oct 24, 2013, 09:34 PM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
Joined Jan 2013
94 Posts
MigStick Scratchbuilt EDF Twin

Well, it's finally finished. One day and one week before the electric fly-in. I'm calling it a MigStick and hope to maiden it next week before the fly-in. If not, I may have to draft someone to maiden it at the fly-in. Still asking for volunteers or maybe a co-pilot for moral support.

Here's the final specs: Length 45", Wingspan 50.5", Chord 10",

Total Wing Area 490 sq inches (3.4 sq feet)

Flying Weight 5 lbs, 12 oz (92 oz)

Wing Loading 27 oz/sq foot

1800 watts (verified with watt meter at full throttle, 1792 watts)

313 watts/lbs

It's a bit heavier than I'd hoped. It's weight puts it in the warbird range but having 313 watts per pound should make up for it. Any thoughts??
Old Oct 25, 2013, 07:07 AM
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined May 2007
74 Posts
It should be exciting if nothing else. I love how it looks. I imagine it will take off and land pretty fast, don't you think?
Did you design this plane yourself?
jester_s1 is offline Find More Posts by jester_s1
Old Oct 25, 2013, 08:03 AM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
Joined Jan 2013
94 Posts
Yes, it's my own design...well, kinda made it up as I went along. I've built several scratch built planes in the past mostly using Chuck Cunningham's rules-of-thumb for airplane design. They've were all pretty much conventional designs (propeller driven tractors). This is my first scratch built EDF "jet". And yes, with a fairly heavy wing loading it should take off and land pretty fast.

It may be more excitement than my heart can bear. Hope not.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 12:42 PM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
Joined Jan 2013
94 Posts
Going to maiden the MigStick tomorrow around 3pm when Tom B gets to the field.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 08:19 PM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
Joined Jan 2013
94 Posts
No maiden flight on the MigStick. One of the solder joints on the Y-cable for the battery broke while setting up. Must have been a cold joint. Good thing that happened on the ground.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 08:10 AM
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined May 2007
74 Posts
Lucky you. Most don't get a second chance like that.
jester_s1 is offline Find More Posts by jester_s1
Old Feb 25, 2014, 06:50 PM
Joined Sep 2012
10 Posts
The Yak is Back

You know you just don't know how much you enjoy a plane until its not around anymore.
I made a simple mistake that cost me a great plane, mixed up my battery packs by mistake, charged and not so charged. First pack I grabbed, you guessed it---not so charged. It had just enough juice to get me into the top of a Cuban 8 and the pack just left the building, the plane hung out, control still working but no air speed. Sometimes better known as a full stall.
Yah it wasn't pretty when Rex and I got to the site, you know its bad when your buddy says bad words. And it's not even his plane.
We gathered the remains and headed to the pits, after a general inventory the initial thoughts were confirmed... She's a goner, spared/salvaged the receiver, servos and some hardware, everything else was shot.
So here's the good news, Aero Works had a 20% off sale... Wooohooo.. My lucky day indeed. And I just happened to have a special fund set a side for just such a day. This one is even better/faster than the last.
Lessons learned:
I have a brand new voltage checker in my box, and if you don't have one on board your welcome to barrow mine.
Neil
Talldog is offline Find More Posts by Talldog
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:33 PM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
Joined Jan 2013
94 Posts
Neil, I was sure sorry to see the wreckage that day. Glad you've got an ever better one now. See ya at the field.

John
Old Feb 26, 2014, 04:22 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
523 Posts
It's never nice to see that happen, to anyone's plane. Glad you were able to get it replaced and save a couple of bucks in the process.

Rex
Capt. Roll is online now Find More Posts by Capt. Roll