HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2014, 09:36 AM
USA, OH, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2003
208 Posts
So... rather than deconstructing my entire plane and then loosing horizontal strength (not enough wing thickness for spars) I thought that by putting the winglets on at an offset (~ 40 degrees best guess looking at other designs) I would in fact be creating "dihedral" effect, albiet even if only on the tips, not the whole wing.

Does that make any [aerodynamic] sense?

I'm more after creating diheral effect than I am tracking stability (ie: horizontal stabilizer surface). I believe my profile fuselage and rudder should be more than enough for those purposes...

That's the madness behind my method... for now at least....
plasoneal is offline Find More Posts by plasoneal
Last edited by plasoneal; Jul 30, 2014 at 09:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:02 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,940 Posts
It should help.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2014, 08:11 PM
USA, OH, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2003
208 Posts
MacroSpot Success at Last!

Got my first mishap-free flight in today! Yeah!

I have added "winglets" offset at 40 degrees "up", out near the tips. But honestly I had the Guardian stabilizer on in 3D mode for the entire flight. I didn't want to mess with success, so I didn't turn off, though I played around with the gain settings several times to dial it in as best I could.

I was also able to do a runway takeoff,with the nose wheel back at its original height.

After getting about 3 minutes into the flight, I wanted to not push it too far on the battery, so I brought it in. I was VERY pleased at the landing speed. I was able to throttle it back, bring it down on a steep final, and just flair it into a very nice & soft grass landing. Absolutely no hint of wanting to "nose over".

So I'm not 100% sure if the winglets solved the stability issue, because I didn't give it a chance this time off the stabilizer... but for now, I have at least one setup that works!

It is going to be fast. I spent most of the flight at 50% power or less, and it was probably 60-70 MPH. Next time I'm out, I'll try to start getting some speed readings with the "speedo" phone app. I don't have enough fuselage room to install my telemetry gear... so I'll have to rely on the speedo app for approximate range.

Thanks for all the input and interest. And Lee, thanks for setting the stage with your Nano Spot!

Paul
Old Aug 03, 2014, 10:18 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,940 Posts
Congrats!! You worked hard for that. I hope you have many more successful flights.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2014, 07:01 PM
USA, OH, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2003
208 Posts
Mystery Solved?

Well, I've got a couple more successful flights in on my MacroSpot. A little bit of time with the Guardian Stabilizer "off" (but only a few moments at a time so far).

So far... so good. I've been very cautious, but gaining confidence with each flight!

Anyway, I was talking about my first test flights with my son, who holds an FAA "Flight Dispatchers" license. He mentioned a problem called a "Dutch Roll"... which is significantly more prevalent with swept wings.. and therefore since this is "highly swept" design, I would only surmise it would be even more likely.

I think this is exactly what I experienced... and it all fits. ie: flying OK with the Guardian turned on (assuming proper gain settings) and loosing control with osculating/rolling motions.

Here's a basic primer on the issue:

What is Dutch roll? (2 min 14 sec)

It would also seem that my winglets with their offset angle would also provide a counteraction for the dutch-roll issue.

My goal now is to truly gain confidence with the model's stability without need for the Guardian.

By the way, I did have a fairly successful landing on the blacktop... it did bounce a bit, and then nosed into the grass. But overall the grass landings have been a total non-issue. So for now, assuming there's not too much cross wind to prevent a controlled take-off, my preference is blacktop runway for takeoff, and grass landing.

Paul