HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:30 PM
is it supposed to smoke??
canada alberta outside edmonton
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
i managed to get 2 boomerangs with my stryker tonite. Both were attained with my 200 battery but when i switched to my lighter 180 i could not get the spin to occur. Now i know my stryker has more up when the 180 is in so im wondering if it has to do with weight as well as level flight trim as opposed to a bit of alpha trim.

ill say that this is the trickiest maneuver ive ever done timing and movement needs to be precise.
3dFlyer88 is offline Find More Posts by 3dFlyer88
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:15 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
Yes it works.

I land with the bumerang and no damage
How do you land it that way? How do you slow it down?
bluemeane is online now Find More Posts by bluemeane
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:25 PM
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
went out again and same thing can manage 3 or 4 but cant get them every time. To land in bommerang is simple. get into the boomerang and just letit land. Its just like a spinning parachute

the biggest problem with this is that the initial spin is needed to get air over the rudder to begin the boomerang. the point in which you come out of the first spin has to be when the plane is at a flat point to then stall and spin into the boomerang. which is what makes the whole thing difficult.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:36 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
I still end up inverted often, no matter what... Lamber's method would seem better (less funky timing), but no go for me.

BTW, with Dave's method, I do it differently....

Enter a normal spin, full up, full aileron & rudder same direction; (it's spinning very slowly with the nose down)
Next, Rapidly (I do it slowly so I see what's happening and somehow control it that way. Only problem is I'm loosing altitude while I'm doing it ) reverse the aileron & elevator to full down & opposite aileron. This has to be timed properly with a flipping motion you'll see in the snap. (Again, I do it slow, but I've done it that way, but wow, is it random! That snap has to be timed perfectly) After this step, you're in a upright spin... It's fast, but it's not a boomerang yet
Last, smoothly (doesn't matter if I do it fast or slow myself!?!?... Once the upright spin is started, going into boomerang seem easy) reverse the rudder to full opposite (aileron & rudder are now both opposite the way you started) and she'll wind up into an upright boomerang.
You lost me RG lol! I will just have to practice and see where it goes

J
jabsten is online now Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Aug 31, 2011, 05:24 AM
Joined Mar 2006
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
Don't pull out too low, it'll break your nose! (Ask me how i found that out ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
I land with the bumerang and no damage
Different case: I tried to pull out of it, so it had forward speed already, hence the damage...
MartinT is offline Find More Posts by MartinT
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:41 AM
Joined Jul 2006
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
Different case: I tried to pull out of it, so it had forward speed already, hence the damage...
I know, i notice it was to late for pull out and i decide it's better to land and come down on a way without grass. The battery fly out but no damage.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:09 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
OK, I tried the HH method and was able to get it to do a fast upright boomerang once, but when I tried again it kept flipping inverted. It appears the timing is pretty important. I didn't get to try too many times because it was getting dark. Will try more today

But this concept of flipping the aileron/ elevator stick opposite when already spinning is something new to me and when I tried it in an inverted boomerang- HOLY COW! It stayed inverted, but went into an INSANELY fast spin. I've never seen anything spin that fast, it's crazy! It spins fast as it is, but flip the stick and it spins like a pinwheel in a hurricane
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:50 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
That's the thing about the boomerang spin. On the big Q, the same problem did happen. People would go into a spin and think they nailed it. (After all, it's decently fast). But once you go into boomerang spin, it's very fast, and also, very floaty (goes down much slower). Then, you always go WOW. Upright is truly an interesting move to learn! It's quite funny that when you miss it, you quite often end up doing an inverted spin... Go figure. A few time, I started the upright boomerang so high, I though I had it, until it was down enough and I could finally see that it was really inverted! SHOOT

One last thing: In the inverted boomerang, you can easily switch speed (normal spin to boomerang spin) many times during one descent. It's another somewhat interesting thing to do too.
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:44 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
One last thing: In the inverted boomerang, you can easily switch speed (normal spin to boomerang spin) many times during one descent. It's another somewhat interesting thing to do too.
Using what?.... don't leave us hanging... the elevator?
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:09 PM
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
to speed up an inverted boomerang once you in it is simple. Take the right stick from top right and place it to bottom left instead this will get it into the hurricane boomerang lol. The if you wanna slow it down simply reverse back to the original. I also like to use opposite rudder to get out of the boomerang. Seems to me to be the most gentle way
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:24 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dFlyer88 View Post
to speed up an inverted boomerang once you in it is simple. Take the right stick from top right and place it to bottom left instead this will get it into the hurricane boomerang lol. The if you wanna slow it down simply reverse back to the original. I also like to use opposite rudder to get out of the boomerang. Seems to me to be the most gentle way
Thanks 3DFlyer, that's exactly it! (on both count!)
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:40 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Spent a pack trying out upright boomerangs, had about a 25% success rate. It appears that getting it to remain upright and drop into the boomerang spin requires about 50% proper stick inputs and 50% luck The inverted boomerang can be done at will, but the upright boomerang is somewhat elusive. Honestly if it's in the "Hurricane Boomerang" (good one 3dFlyer88!) then you can't tell if it's upright or inverted anyway
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Sep 01, 2011, 06:02 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
Spent a pack trying out upright boomerangs, had about a 25% success rate.
LOL, it's the first time I'm hearing about a move like that... And I find that it's a perfect way to "rate" it. Yesterday, I got about 33% success rate. But I have to start it very high, because it take a while to shift from spin to boomerang. Inverted boomerang are so great because it's 100% and very fast (and you can do it low if you don't mind spinning only a few turns).

I guess practice make perfect... Not sure if one of us will ever be able to do it 100% of the time!
Old Sep 02, 2011, 08:35 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Well, I found a way to "cheat" it... Simply adjust your C.G. so the airplane is a bit nose heavy.... I can still do inverted boomerangs easily, but with a nose heavy C.G., I can enter a upright spin 100% of the time. So only thing you have to worry about is moving the rudder to change it into a boomerang. No more of that "get up there, try to start the upright spin, end up inverted, curse, and go for an inverted boomerang since you're already into it. And even if they are not fast, a simple upright spin is still nice to look at...

BTW, you can adjust it very nose heavy, and it still fly relatively well (unless you want to fly inverted ) Great little airplane!
Old Sep 02, 2011, 10:41 PM
Full size pilot
USA, WA, Bellingham
Joined Dec 2009
144 Posts
I think I got the upright boomerang nailed. I do it a little differently than you guys.

For those with the dx6i and running "the mix" running high rates this is what I did.

Power off, full right rudder and aileron. The plane will start to spin. Now once the plane starts spinning start to feed in a little up elevator. Once the plane has the right amount of elevator it will have a funny spin going on. Kind of like it spins quickly then slows then spins quickly and it will be kind of side ways. Its really hard to describe but once you see it I think you will know it. Just don't give it TOO much elevator. Less than 1/2 up.

Once your in that funky spin, give it full down and full left aileron. Bam, it starts to spin up real quickly. I landed mine that way tonight about 6 times or so. Gotta say its pretty fun.

I was able to do it over and over again right side up by doing it that way.

Hope that helps someone!
rx7weee is offline Find More Posts by rx7weee