HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2011, 01:19 PM
West Long Branch, NJ
Joined Oct 2003
1,018 Posts
Discussion
Night Flying at NEAT!!!

It's amazing - when I first start flying at night at NEAT '03 there really wasn't that many of us, and we were seen as something new. Mostly slow-flyers, it was a pretty relaxing way to get in a few extra hours of flying. Flash-forward to last summer's excellent event, and I'd swear the air was even more crowded after hours than during the show's "official" time. The variety and types of planes and styles of flying covered the entire gambit of RC planes. And bright - I needed my sunglasses for some of the planes up there. I had to retire my original '03 MM Duskstik as I couldn't make it out in the crowd, and that was with an LED upgrade a few years ago I think Tom's Saturday night "slowfly" contest really helped to bring a lot of folks into the fold, and that encouraged others to join the fun (and laughs!).

So, who's in for some after hours flying this year? I'll have my SA SHAFT again this year - I'll see if I have time to do some new programming for the Dimension Engineering controller. I'll also have my upgraded 3D Delta, which I built at NEAT last year but only flew with limited results in the Saturday night contest. After adding a bigger motor and folding prop, and laterally balancing the plane, she's now an awesome flyer, and will be ready for Saturday night's fur ball

So, what'cha got???

Rob
stangrob is offline Find More Posts by stangrob
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:25 PM
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Feb 2010
555 Posts
The night flying was some of the best time at my first NEAT last year.

I plan on upgrading my night fleet this year.

For sure I'll have a decked out Nutball with a theme I'm stealing from Dan @ LazerToyz.

I plan on having a Popwing decked out for some night time fun.

D.
dmize is offline Find More Posts by dmize
Old Aug 08, 2011, 06:58 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangrob View Post
and we were seen as something new. Mostly slow-flyers, it was a pretty relaxing way to get in a few extra hours of flying.

Rob
That's still me Rob
Tommy D is online now Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Aug 09, 2011, 07:56 PM
Joined Dec 2009
538 Posts
Flying jellyfish?

Is there a common theme this year like the night flying jellyfish that were so interesting last year or does anyone else have ideas???
cgoffa is offline Find More Posts by cgoffa
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:34 PM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,518 Posts
Hopefully Breck will be back from Burning Man with his Night Flying Sperm....
dr.E is online now Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:57 PM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,016 Posts
I just got a new box of birthday candles to stick on the wing of my P-47 so I can fly her at night.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Aug 13, 2011, 06:56 AM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,445 Posts
I have a lazertoyz fenix 80 laying around and would like to put some lights on it. Do you guys have some pics of yours to see what works and to get some ideas. I will love to join that night battle.
Rich
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:43 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,312 Posts
I've done both ends of the spetrum. My first 2 night flyers had the MPI 8 LED light kit. My current one has 5 strips of the 12V LED strips for a total of 300 lights. Both work. The fenix is EPP right? My Miracle with the strip lights I wiped a 3M glue that's a lot like Goop where the lights would go. Seems to work fine.

Pete
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Aug 14, 2011, 07:56 PM
United States, OH, Eastlake
Joined Jan 2007
467 Posts
Lazertoyz Lazers

We plan on having receiver ready Lazers lighted and ready to go- they will be $99 pre paid or $139 pick up at Neat- so if you don't have time, this will give you another chance to get into the night flying. This will be a limited supply- depending on how much time our builders have.
Call us or email us if you are interested.
440-840-9625
Diane
Lazertoyz
Diane@lazertoyz is offline Find More Posts by Diane@lazertoyz
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:08 PM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,518 Posts
If you buy it at Diane's booth you can build it at our tent... We plan on doing Fenix 80 combat(we will bring the build jigs) as well as Lazer night flying
dr.E is online now Find More Posts by dr.E
Last edited by dr.E; Aug 15, 2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:21 PM
Joined Dec 2009
538 Posts
night flying, zero munching mentor

I still have last years multiplex mentor, It has gotten even brighter rescently as I have added some lights to the top, of the wing, and I now need to place probably two or three meters more on it and I will call it good for this year, I flew it last night at the IMAA meet in binghamton and used to to do some deer jacking over by the corn field. critters dont know what to make of it, and thats the way I like it
cgoffa is offline Find More Posts by cgoffa
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:59 PM
USA, OH, Cleveland
Joined Apr 2010
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrich View Post
Do you guys have some pics of yours to see what works and to get some ideas. I will love to join that night battle.
Rich
My first airplane night flyer was a Fenix 120. It's a great night flyer, docile and predictable in the air. The thing that bothers me is that I get ~7 minutes of flight on a 1300mah battery with this many lights. I used to go 15+ on a 1000mah battery before the lights.

Who said anything about a night battle?
SnarkyMcSnarkson is offline Find More Posts by SnarkyMcSnarkson
Old Aug 15, 2011, 01:07 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,312 Posts
Here's a shot of my Miracle. On a 1300 I get 5 minutes with 300 lights. I need to put the whatmeter on and measure idle current.
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Aug 15, 2011, 01:40 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,795 Posts
If you can believe the stats, each meter long strip draws 400ma. I've never really checked mine though. I'm running 2.5M on my slow stick and after a 8 min flight put 650ma back into a 1300 pack motor is loafing though.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Aug 15, 2011, 02:21 PM
USA, OH, Cleveland
Joined Apr 2010
148 Posts
The Tri-copter uses a separate 500mah battery for the lights. I can fly three five minute flights on it without a problem. Maybe I just need separate packs for the lights on the Fenix? Then weight becomes a problem.
SnarkyMcSnarkson is offline Find More Posts by SnarkyMcSnarkson