HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2003, 07:06 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
P-38 3F design project.....

OK!!! we're here to design a pair of P-38 models ....one for Parkflying with 280-370 motors and one indoor flyer for the tiny stuff...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2003, 07:16 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
To start ....Tone and Mike Taylor have generously donated information in the form of 3-views and a soild pic of the paint job...thanks guys!!!!!!!....... Now we have to first decide how to blow UP the plans to suit our purposes.... we can plot the points out one by one and multiply them by a scale factor ....tedious but a good way of learning , or we can just say to heck with it and blow UP the plans electronically .....anybody got as large printer and know how to tile plans into standard paper sizes , so we all can have access to the plans without much trouble......
It's now UP to you how you want to handle it ........I can show some of each technique for all to assimilate.. So let me know how you want to get over this first part of our project??????? Plot or plans????
Old Jun 09, 2003, 07:26 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
3 view ...and pic

Sorry , I'm unable to transfer the 3-views and pic from the Parkflyer Pete section to ,here .....(I'm a computer dummy!!)would you guys please reload the stuff in this section ...so we can continue ( part of design is problem solving...something we'll have to deal with here, obviously...don't worry , we'll get it worked out ....(to be continued)
Old Jun 09, 2003, 07:48 AM
These go to eleven...
Hickory, NC
Joined Jan 2001
446 Posts
Cool project.
dstout is offline Find More Posts by dstout
Old Jun 09, 2003, 09:20 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Central NJ
Joined Oct 2002
97 Posts
Not quite a P-38, but here is a sp-280 design that flies pretty well. You can use it to get a handle on the right scale. Dimensions are up on www.foamfly.com
BoomZilla is offline Find More Posts by BoomZilla
Old Jun 09, 2003, 11:10 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
GPW,

Bob seemed to have the way to tile the plan, didn't he? He manipulated them to produce the half-sized Pete for me.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Jun 09, 2003, 11:21 AM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,344 Posts
Very cool! I've been wanting to do a P-38 for a while now. I'll keep my eyes peeled on the progress. The best way to scale the 3-view is trace it in a Cad program. Then you can print it in any scale you want.

Tim H.
Tim H. is online now Find More Posts by Tim H.
Old Jun 09, 2003, 01:03 PM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
The one thing I have tried to figure out is where you put the batteries in a small P-38. I should check out the Roadkill P-38 to get some idea. Seems like for a non-profile you want to design the plane around the batteries. That is one drawback to the unique design of the P-38.
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
Old Jun 09, 2003, 03:30 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
dstout...thanks for posting the 3 view for us ....
Boom , not even a cigar , but thanks anyway ....we are inspired
Mike T ... Kbob does have the facilities to do this , think he would do this for us????? ....we could plot out the design the old way , but would take alot of time and probably would be too boring for most ....
Tim ....most of us don't have cad or wouldn't know what to do with it anyway...
10 T ...we cannot consult any other available kits , because we don't want to become adulterated( or accused of copying ....something that seems rampant among modelers, lately.....take an existing design , change it slightly and then put your own name on it ....DUH!!!!)...... we can do this by ourselves , and we'll learn how to design instead of copy someone else's work .........don't worry about the battery , that's easy ...stay tuned!!!!
Old Jun 09, 2003, 03:54 PM
SW Vermont
Joined May 2002
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 10Thumbs
The one thing I have tried to figure out is where you put the batteries in a small P-38. I should check out the Roadkill P-38 to get some idea. Seems like for a non-profile you want to design the plane around the batteries. That is one drawback to the unique design of the P-38.
I'm working on a DD 280 version in pink foam. Right now, I'm thinking of putting the battery packs in the bellies of the booms (where the landing-hear wells would be). With two speed controls off a Y connector, each motor can have its own pack and controller. Should get me flight times of around 15 minutes. (I'm already flying a DD 280 twin, and that thing has more than enough power running off a single 8-cell 800 NiMh pack.)
Balsa Hound is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Hound
Old Jun 09, 2003, 04:05 PM
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2002
266 Posts
Tim's right, the best way to scale the 3-view is trace it in a Cad program. But in the meantime I've enlarged the 3 view gif to 30 inch span tiled on 18 pages in PDF format.

At 2.2 Meg it is too large to attach to the thread so if you'd like a copy just drop me an email and I'll attach it to the reply.

Bob
Kiwi Bob is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi Bob
Last edited by Kiwi Bob; Jun 09, 2003 at 04:09 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2003, 04:11 PM
Why yes, I DO work for GP
Danville Vermilion, Illinois, United States
Joined Oct 2002
326 Posts
Not to harp, but drawing with cad isn't all that hard. If you can master the art of posting things here, and have good drafting skills on paper, as I know you do from your foamfly.com plans, gpw, then you could pick up CAD in a couple of hours, tops.

There are lots of very decent free cad packages out there.

In the meantime, I'm gonna take that 3-view and CAD up a profile P-38. I'll report back in a little while. Once I've got it drawn, I'll scale it to whatever size you might like and send you PDF's

Since there are all thos nice fuselage stations too, I'm going to have to loft it later - very nice 3-view.
FlightofSong is offline Find More Posts by FlightofSong
Old Jun 09, 2003, 04:23 PM
Joined Oct 2002
326 Posts
You want wheels on that?

Everything else is done, just laying it all out now...
Old Jun 09, 2003, 05:00 PM
Joined Oct 2002
326 Posts
Here's a rendering of the profile version:
Old Jun 09, 2003, 05:01 PM
Joined Oct 2002
326 Posts
Specs

That one's drawn at 36" span, which should yield a moderately fast parkflyer on twin 280-ish engines.

It might be a bit sparse on wing area, though. Should we depart from scale?