HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2014, 06:32 PM
United States, TX, Cedar Creek
Joined Feb 2006
27 Posts
Discussion
Theoretical build: F-19A Specter

First, I'm not used to building models anymore (not in about 30 years), and I realize a LOT has changed...

I have seen where folks discuss converting Balsa plans to Foam, often leaving wing-spars as wood and adding custom hard-mounting points for motors and landing-gear.

Not many folks will recall the fufra over the releases of the 'Stealth' models, since none of them actually looked like the revealed F-117...

Monogram released the F-19A Stealth Fighter/Mystery Plane in 1987. It was love at first sight!, even the stealth cruise-missile looks sweet, IMHO.

I found a set of plans for a working rc, 90mm edf, in Balsa, with a wingspan of 90 cm/35"+... Approx. 1/12th 'scale' (what do you call it, for a bird that never was...?). While I want to make one, for a Halloween display, I hate to put stuff to waste and was thinking: If I'm going to build it, why not build it so it COULD potentially fly...? BUT... at a 35" wingspan, it's just not big enough for an outdoor display, so,... bump it to 1/4 scale... ~9 ft wingspan and ~13' LOA... THAT can be seen!

Gonna need help figuring it all out, that's for certain! Just want to do justice to it and at least do it right...

http://static.squarespace.com/static...8/?format=750w

http://static.squarespace.com/static...pg?format=750w

Let the drama ensue...

Thanks, in advance!
J.L. Frusha is offline Find More Posts by J.L. Frusha
Last edited by J.L. Frusha; Jun 30, 2014 at 05:47 AM. Reason: pics
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2014, 07:03 PM
Joined Feb 2006
27 Posts
Here's a thread from a German forum, on a build...

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...4-F-19-Specter

... and a Google Translate link...

https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:18 AM
Fremont, CA
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,591 Posts
Look like a neat project.
The German build looks like it skipped the anhedral and has a somewhat flat wing.
Are you going with the anhedral?
djacob7 is offline Find More Posts by djacob7
Old Jun 30, 2014, 04:55 AM
Joined Feb 2006
27 Posts
He has made several changes. The anhedral is less, on here, but it was problematic, the way it was done, anyway. He STILL has the retractable wingtips, but I'm not sure how he has done it. He mentions that it helps with transporting the plane.

His duct is both narrower in width and higher above the deck. Being more true to the original plastic model will help, there. The edf is partly to blame. He went out of scale with that 90. With more room to work, at a larger scale, I think I can at least mockup the dual high-bypass turbofan engines... Was thinking about that... Doing the High-bypass with 2 motors and one edf in a smaller duct, within a shrouded prop size duct should work, just that the smaller one is already in a ram-air intake mode, when it starts. Avoids the whole single-fixed-duct argument, as well, since it's a duct within a duct. THAT is how jumbo-jets with high-bypass work, except that the large fan uses power robbed from the axial jet. It works and is more efficient there, might work in this, which is how Monogram depicted it.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 05:18 AM
Joined Feb 2006
27 Posts
One thing I hated about the original model is that external wing hinge. Might have to play with monofilament and ni-chrome wire, to see about using an artificial torsion-muscle... Weird, but cool advances in technology can make for big changes, elsewhere... :-)
Old Jun 30, 2014, 03:56 PM
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
317 Posts
The one in the picture and the mentioned plan are different planes!
I still have the plans (and some parts) of the plan from Claus!

Toby
GermanTigger is online now Find More Posts by GermanTigger
Old Jul 01, 2014, 01:10 AM
Joined Feb 2006
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanTigger View Post
The one in the picture and the mentioned plan are different planes!
I still have the plans (and some parts) of the plan from Claus!

Toby
The Balsa rc model, with the canopy, that I linked to is Claus' build. The plans are being sold through ebay are the same and both the website and ebay use those pics.

The white one, without the canopy, that djacob7 posted is DieterH's. Dieter is/was from Salzkammergut, Austria. It appears to be a simplified version, based on Claus' design. The fan housing has the same look, but no anhedral and the rudders don't curve like Claus' built his.

I don't know either of them, even in a round-a-bout way.

Toby,
Are you keeping your set of plans? I could save-up the $35+/- for the set on ebay, but if they're in your way, I will put them to good use...
Old Jul 01, 2014, 04:40 PM
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
317 Posts
Yes. The plan was to keep the plans!

I knew Claus because I was flying with him as I was in Bremen.
I have also visited him twice at his house.
Itīs very sad that he died in October ī12.

Toby
GermanTigger is online now Find More Posts by GermanTigger
Old Jul 01, 2014, 05:16 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2013
175 Posts
I had a crack at it a while back. Definitely not a scale version - just inspired by.... I just eye-balled it off a picture, and it flew great!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1993287

A 9' wingspan is insanity! Can't wait to see it!
elmagnificado is online now Find More Posts by elmagnificado
Old Jul 02, 2014, 01:30 AM
Joined Feb 2006
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanTigger View Post
Yes. The plan was to keep the plans!

I knew Claus because I was flying with him as I was in Bremen.
I have also visited him twice at his house.
Itīs very sad that he died in October ī12.

Toby
Would have been nice to be able to ask him some questions. All the answers I'll get, will come from the plans, when I order them. Maybe, insight into his way of doing things, will come through, in the how-and-why of the design. You have to go deeper, to keep the project a good build, when every little detail has to be fully re-engineered, from the original.

Reason I started this thread is that I will be building in foam, where Claus used Balsa. The general design is the same, but most is really converting from one material, to another, then making the compromises necessary. You have to understand where it came from, to move it in another direction.
Old Jul 02, 2014, 01:35 AM
Joined Feb 2006
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmagnificado View Post
I had a crack at it a while back. Definitely not a scale version - just inspired by.... I just eye-balled it off a picture, and it flew great!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1993287

A 9' wingspan is insanity! Can't wait to see it!
Nice! Yours is more like the Testors model. Yours also has a touch of the Valkyrie in it, from the wat the intakes are.

Think I've also seen a JetEx build on balsa and tissue. Probably have it stashed on a hard-drive, around here.

There's just something fluid and full of motion, in both versions. Sometimes the eye sees what 'looks right', more than the mind sees what won't work.
Old Jul 02, 2014, 12:43 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2013
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.L. Frusha View Post
Nice! Yours is more like the Testors model. Yours also has a touch of the Valkyrie in it, from the wat the intakes are.

Think I've also seen a JetEx build on balsa and tissue. Probably have it stashed on a hard-drive, around here.

There's just something fluid and full of motion, in both versions. Sometimes the eye sees what 'looks right', more than the mind sees what won't work.
Ha! I had never seen the Valkyrie until you mentioned it and they totally look the same. I was only working off a picture of the top-view perspective and just guessed at what would work for the underside intakes based on my build style.

Great minds....
elmagnificado is online now Find More Posts by elmagnificado
Old Jul 03, 2014, 04:09 AM
Joined Feb 2006
27 Posts
Here's an old thread with a plane that resembles the F-19...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339432
Old Jul 05, 2014, 10:21 AM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,388 Posts
JL - Thanks for the PM !! Looks like a fantastic project - I'm trying to get back into things, myself. I have had a Micro Machines model of this craft since childhood - It was my inspiration.
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P