HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:18 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,494 Posts
Hey clicky! I saw a pic of the fog moving in over there. Did you get some more fog flying in?
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:09 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
LOL - we don't have that many days with fog... So far I managed one or two sessions when it was at least slightly foggy (a few years ago). It is interesting. Especially when you think it will disappear in the distance! I remember that one turn I did almost automatically, almost blindly as it was going at the edge of visibility!

BTW I didn't fly last few days. I was hoping I would have some time with my 130Xes, but didn't get home on time. Eh...
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:44 PM
Back Yard Flyer
Northern Ontario
Joined Mar 2007
1,586 Posts
A little clarification…

Finally upgraded one of my Mini T’s to FBL (Skookum 540) One of my concerns about taking the plunge was the numerous threads pertaining to tip-overs, either when spooling up or down. The consensus seemed to lean towards not touching the cyclic til the bird cleared the pad, just let the unit take care of things so to speak and this would be a non-issue. There were those that drew similarities between cyclic inputs on FBL to tail inputs on a regular gyro. Well on FB’s I’ve always given tail inputs on the pad during spoolup without any adverse effects… ever. I also give cyclic inputs, just to make sure all is up to snuff . The thought of now avoiding these “peace of mind quirks” that have been part of my routine forever didn’t sit well with me. Well “low and behold” a lot of what had me hesitant about taking the leap to FBL was not true. I can make all the cyclic & tail inputs that I had in the past with a FB. Nothing changed, long as you correct and centre with the disc level, same as one would with a FB.

So… this had been my experience so far, any different than yours?
Power Up is offline Find More Posts by Power Up
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:53 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Power Up— some fbl controllers do make a heli prone to tip-overs when it is on the ground. Walkera's three-blade micro (DF200?) is pure heck to get off of the ground. Also the smaller Blade heli's do best if you give them a quick shot of collective to take off. I'm glad the Skookum is more sophisticated.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:07 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen@lanset.com View Post
Power Up— some fbl controllers do make a heli prone to tip-overs when it is on the ground. Walkera's three-blade micro (DF200?) is pure heck to get off of the ground. Also the smaller Blade heli's do best if you give them a quick shot of collective to take off. I'm glad the Skookum is more sophisticated.
I'd be scared to give my 450 a quick shot like I do my mcpx. I'll stick with fb for now
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:13 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,710 Posts
My experience is that for every hundred take-offs with the heli behaving like an FB heli, you may get one where it tries to tip over. Maybe it's a result of the skids catching on grass or something like that, but in any case I always lift off relatively abruptly rather than just dawdling with the heli light on the skids. Clearly having the heli properly trimmed and balanced helps. Also, since my FBL experiences have been limited to CX, BeastX and VBar, maybe the Skookum does have some extra magic in its firmware.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:17 PM
Back Yard Flyer
Northern Ontario
Joined Mar 2007
1,586 Posts
@ zen

Well, there you go. I wouldn’t like those symptoms. Thanks for the clarification.

How about Beast; V-Bar?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:24 PM
Back Yard Flyer
Northern Ontario
Joined Mar 2007
1,586 Posts
@ 2Doggs

Wow, magic for sure. What are you running the V-Bar on?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:54 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Up View Post
@ 2Doggs

Wow, magic for sure. What are you running the V-Bar on?
Haha, it's not mine! A friend of mine in the UK has two (!) TDR's, a 700N and a 600N, all of which I've flown. My stuff is all cheap! Though I could afford a Vbar if I wanted one, I still have the ghetto instinct that comes from being raised in public housing in the UK...
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:10 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,494 Posts
I have always pop my helis in the air, It's the ground you have to worry about! If something is a miss I will be more prepared for it in the air than at 80% throttle and hitting the ground.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:12 PM
Back Yard Flyer
Northern Ontario
Joined Mar 2007
1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs
Haha, it's not mine! A friend of mine in the UK has two (!) TDR's, a 700N and a 600N, all of which I've flown. My stuff is all cheap! Though I could afford a Vbar if I wanted one, I still have the ghetto instinct that comes from being raised in public housing in the UK...
Good Trusting Friend ! I’m the only one in this small community that flies Heli’s so it’s me or nothing. Actually I’ve never seen anyone fly live. Good thing for the Interent.
Nothing wrong with cheap if built with care and flown in a responsible manner…
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:17 PM
Back Yard Flyer
Northern Ontario
Joined Mar 2007
1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51
I have always pop my helis in the air
What about a nice big scale ship.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:33 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,494 Posts
My airwolf is FB, but I still get it up fast or it wants to roll off the platform. There is also the difference of popping it up a foot vs slowly letting the skids leave the ground.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:57 PM
Back Yard Flyer
Northern Ontario
Joined Mar 2007
1,586 Posts
I’ve never had the urge to lift off anything but good ol’ mother earth. BTW nice airwolf!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:16 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,494 Posts
Thank you! She is in storage for the winter until our clubs January 1st fly. It will be FBL next summer with the head I took off my 500pro. It got updated with the DFC head.
RCG Plus Member