HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2014, 02:56 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
IfIHadWings Tim, Thanks for showing the Can-Doo. It obviously is a good design and is a step in the right direction for a refreshing change. Your model looks like a winner. Please let us know how the maiden goes.

Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2014, 04:14 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,741 Posts
For all you Burt Rutan fans, have a look at this:
http://www.chonday.com/Videos/jegalctospc2
nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:01 PM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
127 Posts
Variant canard

All..
Attached ia a photo of an old "Boston"indoor freeflight design I scaled up 200%.
It uses a 50W 800kv Mpi motor and 800mah 2cell. We use the canards for roll/pitch .. Still tweaking.. but we are getting there and having a lot of fun in the process.
Al
robinson727 is offline Find More Posts by robinson727
Old Oct 13, 2014, 01:37 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,634 Posts
That does look like a hoot! 'specially the landing gear!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 08:38 PM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
127 Posts
Variant

The deal was to make Variant look like an oldie FF model.. I had built one in the 80's and always wanted to scale it up.. but keep "the look" so we did.
I laminated the wheels outa 1/4" balsa scrap, glued 1/4" dowel in the center then turned the blanks on the lathe & covered with Microlite, a groove in the center holds the O ring tires on. The only major change so far is holding the canard on with a magnet so it can pop off easily.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 03:04 AM
Sokol
United States, CA, Walnut Creek
Joined Jul 2013
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson727 View Post
All..
Attached ia a photo of an old "Boston"indoor freeflight design I scaled up 200%.
It uses a 50W 800kv Mpi motor and 800mah 2cell. We use the canards for roll/pitch .. Still tweaking.. but we are getting there and having a lot of fun in the process.
Al
could you provide details about the motor shaft extension ?
I am very curious about it. Or am I mistaken... ?
JureZ is online now Find More Posts by JureZ
Old Oct 14, 2014, 08:41 AM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
127 Posts
Variant shaft drive

Sure.. but it's going to be a little long.. sorry..
We used .032 piano wire for the drive shaft and for this one , no shaft log (outer housing) just 2 disks cut outa 1/16" ply on the 2 bulkheads between the motor and the prop. The coupling is just a scrap piece of 6061T-6 turned on the lathe and cut to .400" length. One end is bored 2 mm for the Mpi motor and the other side is bored .032" for the wire.. I cross drilled and tapped it 4-40 to accommodate the 4 set (grub)screws .. The prop side is a piece of 3/32" brass rod drilled .032 for the piano wire which is silver soldered to the stub shaft and then threaded 3-48 for the WesTechmik 250 mm carbon fiber prop .. (which is also drilled and tapped 3-48)

A short piece of 1/4" brass tube carries the prop side roller bearing (Boca Bearings, cheap) and since I only had the one bearing, I turned a piece of UHMW
plastic for an inner bushing.. A drop of thick CA to secure the bearing and bushing works great and makes for a troublefree installation..
Questions?? Fire away.. I'll help any way I can..
Al
Old Oct 14, 2014, 09:26 AM
Sokol
United States, CA, Walnut Creek
Joined Jul 2013
202 Posts
Thanks Al,

very fine, nice job!
I noticed but could not tell much from your earlier pictures.

I was thinking about motor shaft extensions, and saw some accessories for boat application.

In my case , I do not have a lathe , so my creative juices get limited by the implementation resources. I have a small collection of scavenged bearings from Hard Disk Drives, which would be good for this use. Will see...

Proper alignment is key to vibration free operation, is it true ? Do you get any resonances ? I think that they should be mitigated by the two short spans between the motor and the prop.

thanks, Jure Z.
JureZ is online now Find More Posts by JureZ
Old Oct 14, 2014, 09:30 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,741 Posts
wow! That's a real piece of craftsmanship Al and, to judge from the photos, so is the plane.

I was wondering how it might be done without a lathe. For such a lightweight plane and a big slow prop, perhaps it would be possible to get away with a rubber band like the old days. At the motor end it could be attached to a prop-saver type of collet. That would also mean that u/c was not really necessary.

Do you think that would work.

nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Oct 15, 2014, 01:47 PM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
127 Posts
extension shaft

Hi Nick and JureZ..
Thank you for the complements.. weird stuff is fun and canards fit the bill.. :-)

Alignment with the pianio wire drive is not real critical and so far.. no resonance issues.. Also.. We had also thought about winding a rubber band intermittantly thru a sprag clutch and spinning a carved balsa prop but the tension and startup torque would be pretty high so I stayed simple with direct drive and the light weight carbon prop..
This is the third drive set up and I think we got it down pretty good and FYI.. boat stuff is to heavy.. keep it light.. Attached is a pic of "Gray Ghost" .. Because of the
high RPM it required a different system, here's a coupla snaps for ideas and a short video of it flying.
Al
Gray Ghost Mini pylon racer (1 min 30 sec)
Last edited by robinson727; Oct 15, 2014 at 01:56 PM. Reason: additional snaps
Old Oct 15, 2014, 02:54 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,634 Posts
I Love that last pic there Al! How dod ya get the L gear Upside down? on 37 of my aircraft, only 3 had been with those wheelrotatorspinnythingamajigs!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!