SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 06, 2005, 08:12 PM
Norfolk, virginia
Joined Jun 2004
214 Posts
need some info on 6 and 12 volt batteries...

1.what are the dimensions on these batteries and a good place to buy them ?

2.what do you use to charge them?

3. will they work with a 6-12 esc?

4. are they better to use then stick packs?
helifan is offline Find More Posts by helifan
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2005, 08:56 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,779 Posts
1. Dimensions vary depending on the Amperag of the battery - more Amps = bigger battery. There is a Batteries Plus store in Virginia Beach. Batteries America, AKA Mr. Nicad, has a good supply of bateries. Bulldog Battery is my local supplier of gel cells, they are about 5 miles from my home.

2. You can buy trickle chargers for the 6V & 12V batteries.

3. They will work with any ESC that is rated for that voltage (6 or 12 Volt).

4. That depends on the application. I have a 12V 7AHr battery in my model of USCGC TAMAROA - I've had the model operating in the water for as long as 5 hours on a single charge. Gel cells (6 or 12 Volt) are better suited to displacement hulls, like tugs and trawlers, where you can use a large battery as ballast. For planing hulls, like PT boats, NiCad or NiMH stick packs are better.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old May 06, 2005, 09:02 PM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
helifan,
The dimensions tend to vary a bit according to who makes them. On the average the 6 volt 'gellcell' batteries I use are about 2" x 3" x 4.5", give or take a bit. The one 12 volt battery I have is approximately the same size.
The 6 volt batteries I get from 'Hobby Lobby' or 'Tower', the 12 volt battery from the local Radio Shack. There are other sources, just depends on which is 'best' for you.
The 'gellcell' batteries I charge with a trickle charger (6/12 volt). Usually takes some time longer than a nicad/nimh, but they are both 4Ahr rated, not bad.
If you want to use a 12 volt battery, get'a hold of a 12 volt ESC. The EASCs I use with 6 volts are rated for 7.2 - 8.6 volts, so handle 6 volts fine. They will not handle 12 volts.
Are 'gellcells' better than 'stick' batteries? Biggest different is in weight and capacity. If the weight isn't too much, they ought to work okay (sorry, I don't remember what they weigh). Gellcells usually take longer to charge, so that may be a consideration for you.
I don't have a problem with gellcells in scale boats (depends on the size of the boat though!)...
- 'Doc
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old May 06, 2005, 09:34 PM
Norfolk, virginia
Joined Jun 2004
214 Posts
i was thinking of using one in a 25 inch midwest harbor tug, would this be too much? also could you recommend a few chargers i can look into. thanks.
helifan is offline Find More Posts by helifan
Old May 06, 2005, 11:31 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
The Cyclon cell, http://www.dmstech.co.uk/cyclon.htm , may be an interesting compromise. They have less capacity than modern NiMH cells but their 2 V per cell instead of 1.2 V partly compensates. I think the Robbe catalogue lists the monoblock versions for boat use.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards