SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 05, 2013, 09:02 PM
Joined Jan 2005
271 Posts
Discussion
California Valley 2013 Results

This year’s California Valley XC race had a great turnout with 8 teams competing. The weather was pleasantly cool but still provided plenty of energy to generate thermals. Ron McElliott was our CD and selected perfect tasks for the conditions

Saturday
A simple 24 mile task was called for the day. Start to turnpoint F at the south end of Soda Lake and back for a total of 24 miles. Weather looked to be OK with temps in the low 70's and the thermals widely spaced and of moderate strength at least early in the day. Wind was probably 5 mph for most of the day.Team 593 (Steve Henke, Larry Jolly, Bill Curry) flying the Super Supra completed the task twice. The first time around they flew conservatively to make sure they completed the task and then on their second run as conditions improved they could be more daring. They ended up winning the day with an average speed of 25.5 mph. Team 647 (John Ellias, Rick Shelby) flying the new X2xc for the first time came in second with an average speed of 21 mph. In third place was team 048 (Dudley Dufort, Scott Woodward,Peter Dannenfelser) with an average speed of 14.7 mph. Five of the eight teams completed the task.

Sunday
Sunday the task was the traditional speed task, an 18.5 mile triangular course. The temps were cooler than the day before topping out in the mid 60’s. The wind came up early and increased as the day progressed. It looked like it could be tough just to get off the field. The teams that got out on course early seemed to have the best luck.
My team, 647 (John Ellias, Rick Shelby, Scott Marnoch) won the day with an average speed of almost 27 mph. We managed to hook a thermal quickly off tow and rode it up to about 1600 feet, but the wind had pushed us well beyond the start line. We fought our way back against the wind to start line and managed to start at only about 1300 feet. We made our way south to turnpoint B and for the next 3 or 4 miles we hit huge lift, getting up to almost 3000 feet while traveling between 40 and 60 mph. Making turnpoint C with plenty of altitude we were able to cruise the 5 miles downwind to the Turnpoint G without really thermaling. We hit a good thermal at TP G and from there we raced the final 5.5 miles to the finish streaking across the finish line at over 90 mph. Second place for the day was team 461 (Greg Norsworthy, Domonic Bayani, Mike Palrang) with a speed of 23 mph. Team 273 (Dean Gradwell, Ron McElliot, Rger Hebner) finished 3rd with a speed of 17.4 mph.

Overall Team 647 was in first, team 451 in second, 571 in third and 593 in fourth.

TEAMS
Contest ID # Team Members

273 Dean Gradwell, Ron McElliot, Roger Hebner

647 John Ellias, Rick Shelby, Scott Marnoch

593 Steve Henke, Bill Curry, Larry Jolly

571 Rich Beardsley, Rich Spicer

424 Jim Rolle, Scott Meader, Marty Falarski

048 Dudley Dufort, Scott Woodward, Peter Dannenfelser

461 Greg Norsworthy, Domonic Bayani, Mike Parlang

767 Bill Chase, Mike Legget, Barry Danieli

See attachments below for Complete scoring summary
XC soaringpilot is offline Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
Last edited by XC soaringpilot; Nov 07, 2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Corrected team 461 speed
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:28 PM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
545 Posts
It was a great time. Super Supra has now been racing for three years and we finally have her dialed in with a new stab (mounted Supra style - no more T-tail) and correct cruise TE. Turns out when the wing is clean she is actually in camber which caused us all sorts of tracking problems in previous races. Now, no more bad habits at all and she thermals like a dream.

After seeing John's performance with his X2xc I'm thinking "game changer". Could be the start of a whole new era in west coast XC racing.

We were very fortunate to have Larry Jolly fly with us. He pulled off one of the all time great XC low saves circling at 10-30 feet off the "windward" slope of a small hill for what seemed like forever. The back side of nearly every circle saw the tail drag and I thought for sure he was setting up to land at least half a dozen times, a single mistake and it would be all over. He maxed every little bubble and fragments of thermals drifting in to stay alive. Patience won the day and after 8-10 minutes of scratching for lift a thermal big enough to get away finally came along and we finished the course.

Larry told me it has been 20 years since he flew XC. He is more than welcome to fly with our team anytime.

Steve
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
Last edited by TrekBiker; Nov 06, 2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 06:29 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,869 Posts
Steve,
I have to admit I had more fun on Saturday than I have had in years.. I am so fired up I spent an hour on the phone with Dr Kolb on Monday morning..WE will do everything we can to be in Monatgue in June..Driving you on the second run and chatting with Bill was almost as much fun as flying..
Sitting around the pool at the end of the day was exactly why I am still flying after all this time.. II really like this crowd ad the BSing was a perfect way to end that day..
By the way I have decided I have so much fun with the SVSS that I will join and fly for you guys at the major meets...
I spent all day yesterday looking for molds and borrowing my last X-country design Road Runner back from Dan Fink... Back in 83 I designed Comet a big Meteor made to run against the Sagitta X'cs.. I realized that the Comet was to big to be heavy enough to go fast..
My last design Road Runner..yea the nemesis of Wylie had a wingspan of 144"
1298 sq/in, 16-1 AR and 19.55 oz/sg ft max loading.. It featured an Eppler 374, was 2 channel and was great fun to land out with no glide path...
Danny told me that at the last race at Taft the SULA team finished the 20 mile course in 22.5 minutes... Joe immediately relaunched and blasted 20.5 minutes..The 20 mile Taft course was pre GPS and you could cut the corner by quite a bit... But I can remeber finishishing and hanging on for dear life as the drivers attempted to see how fast they could take the last turn.. So where I am going is I was delighted to see John's effort with the stretched X2 and am hooked on Speed courses and GPS speed and data loggers... So I found my Road Runner Fuse molds and will start cobbling something together...
I will see you at the next meet..LJ
Larry Jolly is online now Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Nov 07, 2013, 06:28 AM
United States, CA, Union City
Joined Mar 2004
403 Posts
First Place

The First Place Team
dbaya is online now Find More Posts by dbaya
Old Nov 07, 2013, 06:29 AM
Joined Mar 2004
403 Posts
Second Place Team

Second Place Team
Last edited by dbaya; Nov 07, 2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2013, 06:33 AM
Joined Mar 2004
403 Posts
Third Place Team

Third Place Team
Last edited by dbaya; Nov 07, 2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2013, 06:40 AM
Joined Mar 2004
403 Posts
Fourth Place Team

Team Windward
Last edited by dbaya; Nov 07, 2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2013, 06:16 PM
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2009
165 Posts
Larry and John:
It's good to be alive!
Mac
Mac37 is offline Find More Posts by Mac37
Old Nov 07, 2013, 06:19 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,869 Posts
Amen Mac AMEN..... And special thanks to the ladies that got us through it..
Larry Jolly is online now Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Nov 08, 2013, 12:27 AM
Joined Jan 2005
271 Posts
Hi Mac

You are certainly right about that. Now if I could just learn to ride my bike I would probably stay alive longer !

John
XC soaringpilot is offline Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
Old Nov 11, 2013, 08:11 AM
United States, OR, Medford
Joined Jun 2006
64 Posts
cal valley

Anyone find a camera at cal valley last day, black in black case belongs to Ron.
rwemacs is offline Find More Posts by rwemacs
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:17 PM
Joined Jun 2006
64 Posts
Cal Valley 2013

Guess what I found!
Name: DSC00963.jpg
Views: 67
Size: 132.3 KB
Description:

Name: DSC00971.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 131.5 KB
Description:

Name: DSC00981.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 145.6 KB
Description:

Name: DSC00986.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 140.6 KB
Description:

Name: DSC01000.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 141.3 KB
Description:

Name: DSC00952.jpg
Views: 61
Size: 137.0 KB
Description:
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:27 PM
Joined Jun 2006
64 Posts
Cal Valley 2013

But wait theres more!Name: DSC00954.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 134.0 KB
Description:

Name: DSC00956.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 132.5 KB
Description:

Name: DSC00955.jpg
Views: 50
Size: 140.2 KB
Description:

Name: DSC00953.jpg
Views: 45
Size: 102.8 KB
Description:

Name: DSC00957.jpg
Views: 45
Size: 138.0 KB
Description:

Name: DSC00958.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 141.4 KB
Description:

Name: DSC00962.jpg
Views: 46
Size: 148.0 KB
Description:

Name: DSC00973.jpg
Views: 55
Size: 138.1 KB
Description:
Old Dec 04, 2013, 11:01 AM
Joined Oct 2013
3 Posts
Cal Valley 2013 from "outsider" perspective!

Been meaning to add my 2 cents for a while... from the perspective of someone new to the XC sport. I was able to attend a day at Montague 2013, and then again on Saturday of Cal Valley- both times riding with Team Super Supra (hearty thanks to Bill & Steve!). I got to see Larry's incredible save (well described by Steve in his post) and also Steve's blazing run that won the day. As a guy that has flown RC of different forms for almost 30 years, I've finally gotten bit by the soaring bug! Now if I can just get better glasses so I can see that speck at 3,000'...

The best part of these events is NOT the amazing composite flying machines, the high tech goodies inside, the precise flying, the gamesmanship of deciding "should I stay or should I go now" in thermals, etc... it's the PEOPLE that put so much into this sport and are willing to share what they learn (always keeping an ace up their sleeve of course!). These guys have other interests too like we all do, but they live and breathe flying, and that is contagious. Couple that with the idea of riding in the back of a truck around a 25 mile course flying a 4 m glider up at 3,000' and it's really something to experience.

Cheers,

Jeffrey Koessler
Tucson AZ

(see you all at Montague 2014!)
Tucson_Fireball is offline Find More Posts by Tucson_Fireball