Old Jun 14, 2013, 05:09 PM
AMA 119319
United States, AL, Tuscaloosa
Joined Jul 2009
111 Posts
Discussion
Metal vs. Plastic?

Hey guys,
Need your opinion on this. Plastic will flex, metal is stronger but will bend during a mishap. For an HK 450, What would you upgrade from plastic to metal?
Thanks!
alarcer is offline Find More Posts by alarcer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:08 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,267 Posts
Depending on the quality, metal components don't bend as easily and resist damage better than plastic.

The plastic parts may be better suited for micro helis because the amount of kinetic energy in them can be easily absorbed by plastic, but when you go large, a plastic rotorhead would disintegrate when put under the same stress that a metal rotorhead would go through in a crash.

The trick with metal components is that they're built really strong, but are also designed to transfer the energy somewhere else. A plastic rotorhead would hit something and break, a metal rotor head is solid enough to withstand the impact, and then channel the excess to disposable components, like the feathering and main shafts.

Exactly what parts of the HK450 are plastic? The only plastic 450 i've seen in person is the KDS 450QS.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2013, 07:45 AM
AMA 119319
Joined Jul 2009
111 Posts
The HK450's that I have are almost entirely plastic. The main frame, tail boom, 1/2 of the swash, the tail rotor hub and the linkages are metal The rest is plastic, from the rotor head to the bearing blocks and motor mount, etc.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:51 AM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alarcer View Post
Hey guys,
Need your opinion on this. Plastic will flex, metal is stronger but will bend during a mishap. For an HK 450, What would you upgrade from plastic to metal?
Thanks!
-As an aside, bear in mind you can replace key components in your model with metal. For instance, you could put a Tarot metal one-piece main bearing block assembly on your model as well as a metal tail block...
elan is online now Find More Posts by elan
Old Jun 21, 2013, 01:14 PM
AMA 119319
Joined Jul 2009
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
-As an aside, bear in mind you can replace key components in your model with metal. For instance, you could put a Tarot metal one-piece main bearing block assembly on your model as well as a metal tail block...
That is my exact question.......What should be upgraded from the get-go, and what is okay leaving plastic?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:14 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alarcer View Post
That is my exact question.......What should be upgraded from the get-go, and what is okay leaving plastic?
Anything that spins and has to handle a lot of torque. I would say it's the Main Rotor, Tail Rotor, Swash Plate and Tail Rotor Block, in that order.

I'm not really sure if the tail boom block matters because i have a plastic one and it's still ok. It's sandwiched beween two carbon fiber plates, with six steel bolts going right through it (Really thick metal) and held in place by 12 metal screws. It's probably the most secure part of the main frame.

The part i'm worried about is the main frame, that's supposed to be carbon fiber plates, not metal. If that bends in a crash, the spinning parts are going to lose alignment.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2013, 07:11 PM
AMA 119319
Joined Jul 2009
111 Posts
I have decided to upgrade just about everything. and have ordered: Head(complete with swash), tail with holder, all bearing blocks, tail boom holder, motor mount, tail pitch slider, lever and linkages, plus others. I have not upgraded the frame. If I upgrade the frame, is it worth it upgrade to a Pro version?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 04:57 AM
Joined Feb 2013
121 Posts
This trend is expanding rapidly due to the multiple benefits provided by plastics compared to metal. All of them lead to significant productivity improvements and/or product differentiation.

Regards.
Andy.
Andy789 is offline Find More Posts by Andy789
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:22 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,260 Posts
I bet a single piece mainshaft block like the helioption one but in plastic would work well. Sort of like the old plastic Trex 600 mainshaft blocks with metal bolts holding the two halves together only with the upper and lower blocks combined as one single piece.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull