HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:59 PM
Joined May 2012
21 Posts
Discussion
UM AS3X Programmer with Windows 8?

Does anyone know or maybe someone from Spektrum can comment on this? I purchased the USB programmer and so far haven't had any luck. The programming options are really nice making this dongle really useful, if only windows would recognize it. Hey Spektrum, how about an OS X version of the programmer?
KennyH is offline Find More Posts by KennyH
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:33 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,070 Posts
I would start by using the WIndows 7 version of the driver. When the dongle was developed, Windows 7 was new. I use 7 at work, and it works fine for me there.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:05 PM
Joined May 2012
21 Posts
Thanks Andy,

I just installed windows xp and now at least the dongle is recognized, Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM3). When I launch AS3X SETUP, it sees that the dongle is on COM3 which is good but it is still unreadable. I've activated X-port a number of times with no success. It' isn't clear on when you toggle from CH5 to X-port and back which mode you are selecting.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:54 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,070 Posts
The dongle is working for you, the connection to the rx is not.

I went through this several times myself one night (more than I want to admit), until I did EXACTLY what the instructions say EXACTLY step by step. Then it worked fine.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:24 AM
Joined May 2012
21 Posts
Is there anyway to tell if I am putting the RX into X-port mode or CH5 mode?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:39 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,070 Posts
Blinks and servo control vs. XPort mode.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:21 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,589 Posts
Whats windows 8? I just did a major upgrade from XP SP2 to SP3. Cant see why I would need anything newer than that!
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:51 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
Whats windows 8? I just did a major upgrade from XP SP2 to SP3. Cant see why I would need anything newer than that!
I love the new windows 95 user interface.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:53 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,070 Posts
The Windows UI peaked with Win98. Everything after that has been downhill as far as usability goes.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:47 PM
Joined May 2012
21 Posts
Andy,

I am guessing it won't toggle into X-port mode. Full throttle and right rudder and it it will blink 3 times as the manual states but after that the servos still function and the light goes solid.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:53 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,070 Posts
Transmitter off or on? It took me a few tries too (too many) until I realized I wasn't exactly following every step perfectly.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:10 PM
Joined May 2012
21 Posts
OK, I can confirm the rx is in x-port now. I hooked up a servo to the x-port for channel 5 to see which mode the rx was in. Now that that's done the manual says to connect the USB dongle to the rx and then connect the battery to the rx, launch the software and bam it should work. This would mean with the tx off I assume. I tried it with the tx on and bound and off and neither are working.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:51 PM
Joined May 2012
21 Posts
This RX came out of a UMX Gee Bee which according to horizonhobby.com is a EFLU4864 rx which is listed as compatible with the UM USB programmer (SPMA3060) that I bought. Could it be that this rx is somehow not programmable?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:30 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,070 Posts
No, it should work fine. Except for the Hyper Taxi version, they all have the same code just different programming.

It took me a while to get it down, but it does work.

We still haven't determined if your PC is able to actually send data to the device. It looks like it should be working. Do you have an oscilloscope? That would allow us to see the data coming out of the dongle to verify it's saying stuff to the brick.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:35 AM
Joined May 2012
21 Posts
I don't have an oscilloscope. I've installed windows 7 on another machine and here the AS3X SETUP app doesn't list the COM port in the COM SEARCHING field. Can you confirm that it should in windows 7?

LOL, looking at the picture of the dongle on HH's website, on the small connector you can see the red wire at one of the sides of the connector. On mine the the wire order is orange, red, empty, brown. Does the wire order matter and if so what is the correct order?
Last edited by KennyH; Jan 12, 2013 at 11:07 AM.