HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:08 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,687 Posts
Again I was ready to get Spacewalker but it comes with Devo 7 and have two already. Bought Hoten X. As big as it is handles like a Ladybird V1. Needless to say it Rocks. S/W like stated was over shadowed by L/B V1/V2, shame as it has definite cool factor. Plus easier to watch and spot when flying. I am pretty much maxed out and hope they keep it for awhile as I would like to get one. I like flying Scorpion Y-6.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Dec 2012
15 Posts
I have been interested in the multirotor copters and bought a blade mQX a while back and recently got the QR spacewalker because I was intrigued by the 8 prop setup on such a small unit.

I found the spacewalker handled much better indoors due mostly to the response from input latency and it was a bit more stable. I think it's due to the direct-driven as well as smaller props spinning faster giving better response. I found it a bit less durable though. I ended up having the balls fall off 2 of the long-arm motors and knock the plastic casing off which exposed the ......brushes?? on the supposedly brushless motors (I wonder what define's a brush). There's no way to get them back on unless you're super steady hand so I bought a couple extra motors and switched them out. Also the frame got a crack in it from some hard landings but replacement was only $6 or so. All the parts seem like you can switch them out if something breaks.

Interesting thing: I heard that octos could still fly with a bad prop, however I was experimenting with it and this holds true if you remove one of the short-arm props, but it will flip if you try it with a long-arm one removed.

It will also hold a tiny keychain camera taped to the bottom and still fly pretty good.

I'm curious as to which other multirotors are good to get. If anybody has compared the qr spacewalker with the ladybird, hoten X (V1/V2?) or Gaui 330/500 types please advise with your comparison. Also, I just read about the infrared sensor cousin of the ladybird that's supposed to dodge obstacles. I'm curious as to what people think of that too and how it compares.
xcopter77 is offline Find More Posts by xcopter77
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:04 AM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,721 Posts
Got a spacewalker today, I have been wanting to modify the setup to use all long arms, I flew it a bit on the standard setup, then popped in the 4 long arms I had ordered. once installed the new monster spacewalker flew like it was born that way. incredible smooth.

The setup was pretty easy, unscrew the corner screws holding the flight control board these also release the corner arms.

Walkera is running DC motors on the QR micro's only two cables compared to brushless 3 cable jobs.
Before the long arms could replace the short arms, I had to swap the polarity, I cut the cable and swapped polarity by soldering them together swapped. done
installed the long arms, secured the control board and fired it up.
it flew perfectly right off the bat. hover at about 35% power

All up weight with the standard battery 70grams.

Next I stuck a KeyCam under its belly, to check the flight. incredible stable, at least indoor, I will have to recheck outdoor later.

But that is not all. after all Tim Allen and the show "home improvement" sets the tune. MORE IS BETTER.
So I stuck a busted tx5805 on the thing to act as a video downlink for the KeyCam. YES it works, but to be perfectly honest, it may be a bit heavy the octo is not flying as nice as when it was clean of "stuff". its a little hard to start with the camera belly mounted, so I finally stuck a few soda straws on the legs to act as landing gear. yeah.. it flew, now I just need a little time to take it flying with my FatSharks.

Major weight can be saved by removing the case from the KeyCam and also by dropping the USB cable video out option and pull video directly off the board of the KeyCam... so that is probably the next step. ;-) these components would save roughly 15+grams which seems to make a big difference for the handling.
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:46 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Oct 2009
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
Got a spacewalker today, I have been wanting to modify the setup to use all long arms, I flew it a bit on the standard setup, then popped in the 4 long arms I had ordered. once installed the new monster spacewalker flew like it was born that way. incredible smooth.

The setup was pretty easy, unscrew the corner screws holding the flight control board these also release the corner arms.

Walkera is running DC motors on the QR micro's only two cables compared to brushless 3 cable jobs.
Before the long arms could replace the short arms, I had to swap the polarity, I cut the cable and swapped polarity by soldering them together swapped. done
installed the long arms, secured the control board and fired it up.
it flew perfectly right off the bat. hover at about 35% power

All up weight with the standard battery 70grams.

Next I stuck a KeyCam under its belly, to check the flight. incredible stable, at least indoor, I will have to recheck outdoor later.

But that is not all. after all Tim Allen and the show "home improvement" sets the tune. MORE IS BETTER.
So I stuck a busted tx5805 on the thing to act as a video downlink for the KeyCam. YES it works, but to be perfectly honest, it may be a bit heavy the octo is not flying as nice as when it was clean of "stuff". its a little hard to start with the camera belly mounted, so I finally stuck a few soda straws on the legs to act as landing gear. yeah.. it flew, now I just need a little time to take it flying with my FatSharks.

Major weight can be saved by removing the case from the KeyCam and also by dropping the USB cable video out option and pull video directly off the board of the KeyCam... so that is probably the next step. ;-) these components would save roughly 15+grams which seems to make a big difference for the handling.
Nice landing gear mod . When I used to fly mine with the KeyCam , the cam touched the ground so the takes off where a bit shaky. Also, while the spacewalker can carry the weight of the camera, there were problems while descending : too much inertia caused sometimes to hit the ground no matter how much throttle applied. Although not at a big speed.
Ariete is offline Find More Posts by Ariete
Last edited by Ariete; Feb 17, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:21 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Oct 2009
566 Posts
SpaceWalker X4

I remember when, at the beginning, there was a discussion on how to convert the SpaceWalker to a 4 rotors quad. Most of the people, including me, thought that it didn't make much sense.
For me, that was until last time I flew mine. My SpaceWalker started smelling burned. Probably a short circuit in one of the motors. Since then, one of the long legs motors was always running on power up and I couldn't take off. I changed one of the short length rotors to the damaged motor output and the long length rotor to the the other. In that way I could take off but it wasn't much stable, requiring continuous stick input. As the receiver is the most expensive part and cost half a complete SpaceWalker bnf I decided to order one new. And to try the 4 short legs configuration. It worked, as you can see in the video. It is now similar to the LadyBird and runs on a 600 ma battery for about 8 minutes.

SpaceWalker X4 (2 min 2 sec)

I am now waiting for my good old new SpaceWalker.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:50 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
there were problems while descending : too much inertia caused sometimes to hit the ground no matter how much throttle applied. Although not at a big speed.
Just a update - I wanted to revisit the lift of the micro octo. I printed some slightly larger props in the 3D printer which gave it lower wing-loading for a smoother ride. unfortunately flying at 1pm in the afternoon is really no idea. :-)

As you said, it still struggles with the inertia when descending. the landing at the end of the video was a slight gust of wind (SLIGHT) that send me down quicky.

This is recorded with a keycam with the D lens.

Total flying weight is about 100g

Micro octocopter with mini keycam - 100g all up. experiement (1 min 21 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:35 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Just a update - I wanted to revisit the lift of the micro octo. I printed some slightly larger props in the 3D printer which gave it lower wing-loading for a smoother ride. unfortunately flying at 1pm in the afternoon is really no idea. :-)

As you said, it still struggles with the inertia when descending. the landing at the end of the video was a slight gust of wind (SLIGHT) that send me down quicky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tw2U6zHLa4
Nice stable video from your SpaceWalker flight, Is it flying with the extended arms in the video?
With you guys having all this funs without me, I kind of regret not getting one to see what all the hoopla is about.
I also love the sound of your printed props! Is it cost-effective/durable enuff to print-out these props? custom size/pitch sounds very intriguing, and with my LB running a little overweight with frame re-inforcements I thought it'd be cool to try a set of these babies... if you could print another set. varry cool nonetheless.
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:06 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Oct 2009
566 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tw2U6zHLa4
Very nice, so, if you need new props you just print them, cooool.
SpaceWalker in the standard configuration can take wind pretty well. What do you think was the problem: the 8 large arms or the new props?
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:29 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,721 Posts
@Ariete, The Spacewalker with 8 large arms flies like a rock-star, its the most stable Walkera QR I have ever flown... the slightly larger props worked awesome.

The problem is without a doubt the extra 20grams of weight.

The motors do not have enough power to manage well while carrying the extra load. a gust simply push it to the ground. the thing is still perfectly stable, it just can't keep altitude if the turbulence goes the wrong way. flying early in the morning and it is perfect.

Quote:
Very nice, so, if you need new props you just print them, cooool.
SpaceWalker in the standard configuration can take wind pretty well. What do you think was the problem: the 8 large arms or the new props?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:04 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Oct 2009
566 Posts
Quote:
@Ariete, The Spacewalker with 8 large arms flies like a rock-star, its the most stable Walkera QR I have ever flown... the slightly larger props worked awesome.

The problem is without a doubt the extra 20grams of weight.

The motors do not have enough power to manage well while carrying the extra load. a gust simply push it to the ground. the thing is still perfectly stable, it just can't keep altitude if the turbulence goes the wrong way. flying early in the morning and it is perfect.
I see, mine wasn't influenced too much by the wind even with the camera aboard. What kind of weight add the four longer arms? It can't be that much, but maybe it is just the last drop that fills the glass.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 09:10 PM
Joined Nov 2012
14 Posts
Robustness of the QR Spacewalker

Hi everyone,

Anyone here noticed how fragile the QR Spacewalker Rx is?

Maybe it's just me, but I have blown through 2 receivers since getting this octocopter last November.

Specifically, it will be any one of the 8 tiny mosfets on the integrated Rx board that bites the dust, usually in a wonderful wisp of smoke and burnt electronics.

I don't think I'm a reckless pilot, and my crashes are not fender benders, either. On my original Rx, it was just a bit of a skewed landing/drop from 5cm high, hitting a soft playmat. Poof smoke.

The second Rx was just me botching a flip, landing on the same padded playmat upside down (from waist height). Poof smoke!

In both cases, I cut the throttle before impact, but it would follow with that all-too-familiar sight and smell of burning PCB.

Right now I'm not too keen on getting another Rx that's almost 2/3 the price of a BNF! The experience has certainly put me off micro multirotors.

By the way, does anybody know the part number to replace the burnt MOSFETs? I tried replacing the burnt-out MOSFET with one that someone else posted a part number here before, but it went poof right away when I spooled up.

How many of you folks have had this same experience?
chuank is offline Find More Posts by chuank
Old Mar 29, 2013, 04:41 AM
Joined Mar 2013
2 Posts
Hi,

Anyone try to modify it with Gear drive system (Like WL-929), does it just need to get a longer carbon tube to make the larger props free to spin?

thx
malau is offline Find More Posts by malau
Old Apr 01, 2013, 05:35 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Oct 2009
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuank View Post
Hi everyone,

Anyone here noticed how fragile the QR Spacewalker Rx is?

Maybe it's just me, but I have blown through 2 receivers since getting this octocopter last November.

Specifically, it will be any one of the 8 tiny mosfets on the integrated Rx board that bites the dust, usually in a wonderful wisp of smoke and burnt electronics.

I don't think I'm a reckless pilot, and my crashes are not fender benders, either. On my original Rx, it was just a bit of a skewed landing/drop from 5cm high, hitting a soft playmat. Poof smoke.

The second Rx was just me botching a flip, landing on the same padded playmat upside down (from waist height). Poof smoke!

In both cases, I cut the throttle before impact, but it would follow with that all-too-familiar sight and smell of burning PCB.

Right now I'm not too keen on getting another Rx that's almost 2/3 the price of a BNF! The experience has certainly put me off micro multirotors.

By the way, does anybody know the part number to replace the burnt MOSFETs? I tried replacing the burnt-out MOSFET with one that someone else posted a part number here before, but it went poof right away when I spooled up.

How many of you folks have had this same experience?
Mine smoked after 8 months of heavy use, loaded with a camera. I converted it to X4 and ordered a new one because I thought that for the price, the receiver only, it is not worth.
All in all I am enjoying this octocopter over the LadyBird, the Scorpion or the InfraX. It's my favourite because I can carry it near everywhere I go and can take a lot of wind.
Old Apr 01, 2013, 06:01 PM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,064 Posts
How does it handle aerobatics and 3d

I am trying to decide whether to get the spacewalker. Apparently Walkera discontinued it fairly quickly. Why? I have seen a few videos of it flying around in circles, but I don't think I've seen any video of it "hot dogging" or doing 3-d flips and rolls.

Can anyone update me on this?
Thanks,
Stan in Dodge City
Swilson50 is offline Find More Posts by Swilson50
Old Apr 01, 2013, 06:15 PM
Joined Nov 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Mine smoked after 8 months of heavy use, loaded with a camera. I converted it to X4 and ordered a new one because I thought that for the price, the receiver only, it is not worth.
All in all I am enjoying this octocopter over the LadyBird, the Scorpion or the InfraX. It's my favourite because I can carry it near everywhere I go and can take a lot of wind.
Ariete, do you need to get the UP02 adapter to convert it to X4?

Could be the final way for me to salvage what's left of my Spacewalker (the MOSFET that burnt up in both of my Rxs were connected to one of the long arms).
chuank is offline Find More Posts by chuank