HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2012, 02:49 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
Discussion
Flat screen TV

I'm thinking of buying a flat screen TV.
I have room for about a 50" screen.
LCD, LED, or Plasma.
I need your pros & cons, what brand is good.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old May 04, 2012, 03:52 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,773 Posts
Stay away from:

Vizio
Sanyo
RCA
Element
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old May 04, 2012, 05:04 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,757 Posts
Bought a 52" Sharp Aquos LED just in time for the Super Bowl this year. I'm still amazed at the picture and the features. It's a smart TV with built in wi-fi with internet, Netflix, and other aps. It does cool unexpected things like automatically switching to the DVD HDMI when you pop in a disk. Couldn't be happier with it.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old May 04, 2012, 05:19 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,400 Posts
I don't have one yet... I work for a living..

But I heard that some are coming out with a great yellow color.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old May 04, 2012, 06:12 AM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
113 Posts
I have a 4 year old Samsung 46" LCD which is still amazing. Wish I had held out for a 52" though...

Depends where you want to install it. In a brightly lit family room the LCD or LED would be the choice. If you watch mainly sports and/or movies in a somewhat darker room and need a wide viewing angle, plasma would be recommended.

No matter what choice you get, invest in an appropriate calibration DVD or BluRay to get the most out of your set. They never come out of the box at the proper settings. I spent about 1.5 hours fine tuning mine and it was worth it. My visiting brother-in-law asked me if that was a 3D set (it isn't). He said the depth looked so much better than his HDTV.
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Old May 04, 2012, 07:23 AM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined May 2004
96 Posts
We bought a 55" Toshiba 3D LED and really like it. At first, I did not want a 3D; but the grandkids pushed me to get it. It blows me away in 3D, and I'm glad we got it. Believe me it is worth the extra money. Make sure you get a set that uses the same 3D glasses the theaters use. The active shutter glasses are very expensive. A friend of ours has a TV that uses the shutter glasses, and they end up with a headache every time they watch a 3D movie. I do not know if this is usual or not. One other expense you will have with a 3D TV is a player that can play 3D movies.
Marvinwc is online now Find More Posts by Marvinwc
Old May 04, 2012, 07:35 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Have had an LG 52" Plasma for two years. It's fantastic, no problems. It's like being at the game when watching sports on high definition. Can't wait for football season.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old May 04, 2012, 07:44 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
I bought a Samsung LED tv about 6 months ago. It is a great tv with an amazing picture. I especially love that it doesn't have the big black plastic edges around the tv that all the others have. It is edge to edge screen which provides a much cleaner look and takes up less room on the wall. I couldn't be happier with the TV at this point. Highly recommend Samsung.
RumRunner_1492 is online now Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old May 04, 2012, 07:53 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Get an LCD with LED backlighting and Internet connectivity. Go to CNET and AVSFORUM for reviews of the set you think you want. If possible, buy at Costco for a free extra year of warranty and use a credit card, like Amex, for another free year of warranty. (Recently got warranty replacement money for a set that failed after 30 months this way.) Don't buy an extended warranty.
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Last edited by Big Foot 48; May 04, 2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old May 04, 2012, 07:59 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
(Recently got warranty replacement money for a set that failed after 30 months this way.)

What was the brand ?.
Old May 04, 2012, 08:02 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
Bought a 52" Sharp Aquos LED just in time for the Super Bowl this year. I'm still amazed at the picture and the features. It's a smart TV with built in wi-fi with internet, Netflix, and other aps. It does cool unexpected things like automatically switching to the DVD HDMI when you pop in a disk. Couldn't be happier with it.
Bought and LCD Sharp Auos in about 2008....still going strong. Screen was badly scratched during the tornado that destroyed my house in 2009. The insurance company totaled it. Before I threw it away, I plugged it in and the picture was still strong and although it looks like crap when it is off, the picture is still good. It does just cut off every now and then, but all I have to do is turn it back on. The other Sharp we had was a 46 inch that they also totaled because of the same damage to the screen. It also just goes away every now and then, but give it a few seconds and it comes back. Heck until they don't work, I will use them. We lost three other TV's that would not work at all. One was a Vizio 42 LCD and it was great. We replaced it with a Vizio LED and it is likewise a good TV. Most of them aren't bad at all.
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old May 04, 2012, 08:34 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
What was the brand ?.
It happen to be a Vizio, but Consumers Reports says that only 4% of LCDs of major brands, including Vizio and Sanyo, required repair during the first 3-4 years. The only exceptions were Mitisubishi and Polaroid.

Top-4 rated brand sets by CR in their March 2012 issue for 52-55" were: Vizio, LG, Vizio, Sanyo. 46-47" were" LG, Samsung, Samsung, Bose!.

I have a Vizio 55" and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. (The warranty covered one was the mother-in-laws. We repkaced it with a Samsung.)
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old May 04, 2012, 08:36 AM
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Aug 2004
106 Posts
Sony LCD!
Jake
Sonsight is offline Find More Posts by Sonsight
Old May 04, 2012, 08:36 AM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
306 Posts
DON'T buy a Brand X: the menus are usually ackward and warranty usually sucks, even if the TV isn't bad. Be aware the sets are usually in demo mode in the showroom...brighter, more vivid.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old May 04, 2012, 09:45 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
It happen to be a Vizio, but Consumers Reports says that only 4% of LCDs of major brands, including Vizio and Sanyo, required repair during the first 3-4 years. The only exceptions were Mitisubishi and Polaroid.

Top-4 rated brand sets by CR in their March 2012 issue for 52-55" were: Vizio, LG, Vizio, Sanyo. 46-47" were" LG, Samsung, Samsung, Bose!.

That's funny, I've dealt with repair claims on LCD TVs for the past few years, and Vizio is the #1 brand I deal with for failures during the first 3 years. Sanyo would be #2 for breakdowns.

I guess Vizios are good for me though, because they keep me employed.

My dad was a GM mechanic, and his story was the same....as long as they keep making them you'll always have a job.