HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:09 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,935 Posts
Sensei is Dead - RIP

Well, new ESC and motor didn't make any difference; she just nosed over and died. She never was the same after I put her in the trees, I think the receiver had some kind of problem although I did some range checks.

Cartwheeled, two 90 degree bends, broke the shaft clean off the motor. Decided to sell it to a guy who needed a basher for his grandson.

Will focus on flying my Piranha, Blu Between, and Cubs for now and continuing my Martin 4-0-4 build (over in the airliners forum).

BFN... Kevin
ruff1 is online now Find More Posts by ruff1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:07 AM
I can crash anything
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined May 2012
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff1 View Post
No test yet sir, probably sometime around Labor Day weekend. I expect performance to be similar to the stock motor, maybe a bit better. My batteries are a bit tired though...
Definitely [let us know how it flies. I am looking for a motor with a little more power than stock that I can run on the stock ESC. I was looking at this motor Saturday and wondered how it would perform.
Look forward to your review,
Jimmy
Rescuejim is offline Find More Posts by Rescuejim
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:06 AM
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,935 Posts
See post above yours, not a good re-maiden. I no longer own the airplane.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 01:16 PM
SUCK LESS
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,512 Posts
Bummer ... sorry to hear.
Hope you have better luck with your other planes
FR4-Pilot is online now Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Old Aug 28, 2014, 09:17 PM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,270 Posts
Using the stock ESC, you can install a replacement motor with a 11x5.5 APC prop, an engine of about 100 -130 grams, Kv 780-800.
3536-3542 motor.

A more Kv motor requires a larger esc.
manuel v is offline Find More Posts by manuel v
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:33 AM
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
Bummer ... sorry to hear.
Hope you have better luck with your other planes
Sold it to a flying buddy who is rebuilding it for his grandson. I'll update on that.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 02:51 PM
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Aug 2014
31 Posts
I got my sensei this past week as my first plane. I am planning on the madien tomorrow morning can't wait! I've been flying it a lot on the simulator trying to practice and get used to it, it has helped. I flew a real one last weekend on a buddy box and it flys very well. It is a great stable trainer and looking forward on getting started flying it!
fluffybunny is offline Find More Posts by fluffybunny
Old Aug 30, 2014, 04:14 PM
SUCK LESS
Joined May 2009
3,512 Posts
That's great news FluffyBunny

Allow plenty of room for landing and keep the nose up. Sensei likes to glide and roll forever, it seems Although she'll slow down & stop pretty quick in grass.

Good Luck!
Old Sep 01, 2014, 08:42 AM
Joined Aug 2014
31 Posts
Thanks FR4-pilot. I got it madiened yesterday and flew it around a bit, put 4 packs through it and had a great time. My instructor at my club thinks I could go to a public park and fly no problem, he also thinks I'll be able to test out of flying with an instructor in another day or two. I am really excited by that.

When I was flying this plane is just so easy to fly, and your right it does seem to glide forever! If I use my 1:1 flying experience of pulling the throttle abeam the "numbers" on the runway and fly a normal pattern it seems to come in pretty well.

One thing I'm still getting used to and this will just take time I'm sure is depth perception especially when turning to land. I have some issues turning too late so I'm not on the centerline of the runway. I have that issue a bit in the simulator too so I'm sure just more flying will help me get used to that, which is going to be fun!
Old Sep 03, 2014, 03:55 PM
SUCK LESS
Joined May 2009
3,512 Posts
FYI - So while I found out that ShoeGoo works on the Sensei's Aero-Cell foam, it does not work well on the Apprentice's Z-Foam.

It doesn't eat Z-Foam or do anything destructive to it, it just does not 'weld' the pieces together like it does on Aero-Cell. Rather, it just sits there, and cures into what I can best describe as a potato-chip looking shape (following the contour of the break). Under stress those parts will not hold up, as we found out when the tail section of my friend's Apprentice re-broke during a banked turn.

Going to try fixing again (and the additional broken parts now) with white Gorilla Glue, which is supposed to work well on Z-Foam.

Lesson learned (the hard way)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybunny View Post
One thing I'm still getting used to and this will just take time I'm sure is depth perception especially when turning to land. I have some issues turning too late so I'm not on the centerline of the runway. I have that issue a bit in the simulator too so I'm sure just more flying will help me get used to that, which is going to be fun!
Me too. I fly at club fields (not a club member though) and they constantly remind me to stay behind the flight line. Problem for me is the flight line is 60 feet from the center of the runway, which makes lining up for landing extremely challenging!
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Sep 03, 2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2014, 09:27 PM
Canada, NL, Clarenville
Joined Aug 2014
8 Posts
I maidened my brand new Sensei about a week ago in a ball park that was probably a little small for it. I ended up crashing it twice resulting in a stripped rudder/nose gear servo and a bent nose gear. I have ordered a new servo and would like to repair the nose gear. has anyone here had experience with repairing or replacing the nose gear did you remove the gear from the plane? If so how did you do it?

Carl
NL466RCFlyer is offline Find More Posts by NL466RCFlyer
Old Sep 04, 2014, 10:05 PM
SUCK LESS
Joined May 2009
3,512 Posts
Hey Carl, sorry about the crashes - sounds like minimal damage, which is good

The nose gear wire can be removed by removing two screws. But to get to those screws you have to remove the cowl, which is RTV/glued on. Good news is it's easy to break that bond with an L-shaped tool (it's been posted in this thread a few times).

Did the nose gear wire just get bent, or was there additional damage to the foam or firewall, if you can tell that is ?
Old Sep 05, 2014, 04:40 PM
Canada, NL, Clarenville
Joined Aug 2014
8 Posts
I Think it is just the nose gear wire that is bent. I already managed to remove the cowl.
NL466RCFlyer is offline Find More Posts by NL466RCFlyer
Old Sep 05, 2014, 06:26 PM
SUCK LESS
Joined May 2009
3,512 Posts
Here's a couple of pics showing those screws that hold the nose gear in place ... one's behind the motor so you'll probably have to remove the motor (in it's mount) ... sorry, forgot to mention that.

Once those screws have been removed a straight downward (be gentle) pull on the nose gear and it should slide right out.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 09:02 AM
Joined Aug 2014
31 Posts
I had my first crash of an RC plane this weekend. I was pulling out of a loop but I was far away and I might have lost orientation on the plane for a bit, but the biggest issue is my transmitter stopped responding for about half a second, after talking with some guys at the club the distance I was flying at plus the orange rx I have in the plane probably caused some issues. I was flying further out than I normally do because some guys were landing. I am going to try and repair it using the boiling water method. The wing also has a bit of damage near the joiner but I didn't take any pics.

I nosed in at probably 60 degrees nose down at the end of a loop so had a lot of speed, I'm surprised damage wasn't worse. I haven't pulled it apart yet but I will tonight, I'm interested to see if there is any damage to the motor shaft.