HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 05, 2011, 10:01 PM
Bangkok
Joined Oct 2007
1,633 Posts
I just found this thread, it's just what I was waiting for! I ordered one camera to try it out last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl1864 View Post
I just did some pretty accurate tests of the new HD camera's field of view with various lenses, as well as the old #3 camera's field of view for comparison, using a protractor setup.

I tested them stock, with the .67x lens, and with the 180 fish eye lens, and here are the results.

HD cam
wide ------------ tall
54 degrees ____ 32 degrees _______ stock, no lens
77 degrees ____ 45 degrees _______ .67x lens
129 degrees ____ 67 degrees _______ 180 fish eye lens

#3 cam
wide ------------- tall
37 degrees ____ 28 degrees _______ stock, no lens
53 degrees ____ 39 degrees _______ .67x lens
77 degrees ____ 57 degrees _______ 180 fish eye lens

I would say a 90 degree field of view would be optimal; I got a bit lost in the thread but didn't someone contact the manufacturer already over some firmware issues? It would be good to contact again to ask about having an even wider lens on the camera, or even better being able to buy different lens sizes.
AleG is offline Find More Posts by AleG
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2011, 01:22 AM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Hey guys,

So I have been looking through all 90 pages, and I have only seen a handful of videos and almost no one with a full flight - can someone post some full flight videos?!?

Also - I have only seen one video where the image quality is absolutely superb. Its this one...

808HD test focus (0 min 45 sec)

All the other ones I have seen come no where close. Whats the trick? Is the quality control on these things that bad!?

I really wanna see some more vids where this quality is replicated. Does anyone have any?
EyeFlyPlanes is offline Find More Posts by EyeFlyPlanes
Old Feb 06, 2011, 09:51 AM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeFlyPlanes View Post

I really wanna see some more vids where this quality is replicated. Does anyone have any?
You may have to wait for the sun to come out.
lostheli is offline Find More Posts by lostheli
Old Feb 06, 2011, 11:48 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleG View Post
I just found this thread, it's just what I was waiting for! I ordered one camera to try it out last night.

I would say a 90 degree field of view would be optimal; I got a bit lost in the thread but didn't someone contact the manufacturer already over some firmware issues? It would be good to contact again to ask about having an even wider lens on the camera, or even better being able to buy different lens sizes.
I've already done this and was told better lenses are available, but are too big to fit the threaded boss that holds teh CMOS chip.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Feb 06, 2011, 11:59 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys,

So I have been looking through all 90 pages, and I have only seen a handful of videos and almost no one with a full flight - can someone post some full flight videos?!?

Also - I have only seen one video where the image quality is absolutely superb. Its this one...

http://vimeo.com/18631140

All the other ones I have seen come no where close. Whats the trick? Is the quality control on these things that bad!?

Until now no good weather here. Dark and gray, so you can't expect crisp images. The example you post is with extremely clear skies, combined with a very contrasting landscape. Hopefully some nice weather here soon... For sure I will post my video's.
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Feb 06, 2011, 06:02 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Ok well how about videos that show the wide angle lens mod was done?
EyeFlyPlanes is offline Find More Posts by EyeFlyPlanes
Old Feb 06, 2011, 06:19 PM
Ithaca, NY
Joined Jan 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Ok well how about videos that show the wide angle lens mod was done?

Yes, I sure would like to see how people are mounting the .67mm lens to their keychain cam. Are we talking about just epoxy-ing it on, or what?

<OFFTRACK>

Also, in regards to the firmware. I am hoping and wishing that a new firmware will be released with two additional features.
a) continuous recording, and
b) save file on low battery.

However, in thinking about this, it seems like this will only be possible if there is some voltage/current monitoring going on. Specifically, if there is no voltage/current monitor for the chip, then there is no way for it to detect low battery, and to save the recording before the camera shuts down, and without that, there is no way to have continuous recording without an auto-save every 20 minutes to make sure you have _something_ recorded if the battery dies.

So, I wonder what the possibility is that the chip is monitoring the battery, and to have these features in a firmware upgrade?

</OFFTRACK>
Fred79 is offline Find More Posts by Fred79
Old Feb 06, 2011, 07:13 PM
Joined Aug 2010
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepinside View Post
Can answer this myself now: successfully done.

I first tried to solder on the Mini-B plug of an USB cable I didn't use anymore, which was kind of difficult for me to get good access to. I broke off pins while trying to remove the "adhesive" around them. I also struggled with the smallness of the plug.
This time I disassembled one of the car chargers because I knew the Mini-B plug is already modified. I then soldered the +5V and Ground cables on an old A plug which for me was far easier to do.
I've managed to mod a cable too. I had a few mini-usb to USB A cables I could afford to ruin. I've come across two styles of mini-usb plug - one has moulded plastic and some sort of rubbery filler that seems to be glued to the internals of the plug. This was near impossible to rip off to enable soldering. Other plugs are just a clam shell design and can be very easy opened by pusing a craft knife in to the side of the plug.

A note of soldering... 5v needs to be connected to pin x - which is the 4th pin on the mini-usb cable - but actually labeled pin-x if you are working from a wiring diagram.

I was using a regular sized soldering iron... it was going to be quite hit or miss, I ended up leaving a massive blob of solder on the pin (and those surrounding it. Luckily I had a solder pump and when I tried to remove it, it sucked off the perfect amount and miraculously I ended up with clear unbridged connections.
Jiffy82517 is offline Find More Posts by Jiffy82517
Old Feb 06, 2011, 08:36 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
Wouldnt it be easier to put a slit in a usb-mini cable and clip the 2 data wires?
finster is offline Find More Posts by finster
Old Feb 06, 2011, 10:25 PM
Joined Aug 2010
13 Posts
Although there are 5 pins in a miniusb plug, there are only 4 cables, the x-pin is not connected - so you need to get right into the plug. To connect to the ground pin I did as you suggested and stripped a bit of wire and then used my soldering iron to melt a section of the ground wire and soldered in there.

The other issue I've noticed when powering off the mains (via a 12v plug, into the supplied car adaptor taking it down to 5v) is that there is some sort of electrical noise. I'm not sure if it's from the switching adaptor in the wall wart, or just noise from the AC being converted to DC... but it is apparant in the final video. Maybe it can be reduced with a good sized capactor? I tried with a 1000uf one that I rescued from an old radio, but it had no effect... but then I wasn't positive the capacitor was in working order.
Jiffy82517 is offline Find More Posts by Jiffy82517
Old Feb 06, 2011, 11:06 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffy82517 View Post
Although there are 5 pins in a miniusb plug, there are only 4 cables, the x-pin is not connected - so you need to get right into the plug. To connect to the ground pin I did as you suggested and stripped a bit of wire and then used my soldering iron to melt a section of the ground wire and soldered in there.

The other issue I've noticed when powering off the mains (via a 12v plug, into the supplied car adaptor taking it down to 5v) is that there is some sort of electrical noise. I'm not sure if it's from the switching adaptor in the wall wart, or just noise from the AC being converted to DC... but it is apparant in the final video. Maybe it can be reduced with a good sized capactor? I tried with a 1000uf one that I rescued from an old radio, but it had no effect... but then I wasn't positive the capacitor was in working order.
If the "pin-x" you are referring to is Pin 4 of the USB plug, if you read back through this thread, you'll find that pin should have the +5V normally found on pin 1 disconnected and reloctated to pin 4. Pin 5 next to it would be negative ground, and you should add some hot glue or some other insulating material between thos two pins to make sure they don't accidentally come in contact.
Old Feb 06, 2011, 11:13 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,725 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys,

http://vimeo.com/18631140

I'm pretty sure that clip was posted after the lens was re-focused to better resolve distant objects. These cameras come with the focus set for the near field, not the far field. It normally only takes about a 5 deg. rotation of the lens (usually clockwise looking at the front of the lens) to shift the focus out to more distant objects. See post 3 in this thread for a link to how best to do this.
Old Feb 06, 2011, 11:21 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred79 View Post
<OFFTRACK>
Also, in regards to the firmware. I am hoping and wishing that a new firmware will be released with two additional features.
a) continuous recording, and
b) save file on low battery.

However, in thinking about this, it seems like this will only be possible if there is some voltage/current monitoring going on. Specifically, if there is no voltage/current monitor for the chip, then there is no way for it to detect low battery, and to save the recording before the camera shuts down, and without that, there is no way to have continuous recording without an auto-save every 20 minutes to make sure you have _something_ recorded if the battery dies.

So, I wonder what the possibility is that the chip is monitoring the battery, and to have these features in a firmware upgrade?
</OFFTRACK>
Not off track for this thread at all.

If you will take the time to search this thread, you will find that part a) is already in the works, and I am suppose to be sent the firmwarre to do this shortly after the Chinese new year is over. Hopely that means this month.

You're right about part b). I've been told by the camera vendor it is supposed to already work this way, but I have tested mine and it does not save a recording in progress if the battery dies. Others have reported theirs does. So, it remains to be seen how this turns out.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 12:46 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
Jiffy-

Ah...I get it now...the X pin has no wire...(123x4) I thought you could cut the data wires and splice the power wire to the "X-pin" wire...
finster is offline Find More Posts by finster
Old Feb 07, 2011, 05:10 AM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2010
73 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for the excellent thread, lots of info.

I got the HD720 camera from eBay seller hxelepro360, took only 9 days to arrive to Switzerland. A couple notes:
- firmware update to remove timestamp worked without issues
- focus range was acceptable, I won't mess with it
- AOV is a bit less than 52 degrees, so not quite at 58 as reported here on post 314, but closer to the 54 reported on post 1343
- Bitrate is 10.8Mbps

On the negative side, the camera struggles with color saturation, not much because it's too high or too low on average, but because it fluctuates a lot, you can see the camera chasing the right balance every time there's a small change in the light conditions. Check the attached snapshots, taken few seconds apart with the heli in stable hover: all it takes is a slight change in the amount of light (heli pointing a bit more toward the sky) and saturation increases significantly.

Is there a way to sort of "average" saturation, during post-processing?

120ccpm is offline Find More Posts by 120ccpm
Last edited by 120ccpm; Feb 07, 2011 at 05:21 AM.
Closed Thread