-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
United States, TX, Henderson
Joined Jan 2010
1,274 Posts
Discussion
BTE Venture 60 build discussion

Hey all,

I have a BTE Venture 60 on the way, and I have not found any threads dedicated to the Venture 60 so I figure i'd ask a few questions and see if there are any experienced Venture "heads" out there.

This will be my first full plane build, and I'm really excited. I've actually looked at every plane at http://www.venture60.com

Technically it's a Christmas present so I'll prolly have to wait till after then to actually open it, but I bet if Santa is not looking she will let me peak and drool!

I'm having a great time deciding on what to do. being my first build I want to stay pretty much as Bruce designed it as he knows best and I know next to nothing

I intend to use a OS 61FX but I'm really liking the look of a 4 stroke motor on it. I have too many ideas for a color scheme that may be the toughest decision...

So anyway, comments? suggestions? general info? Tell me I'm nuts and close the thread? Whatever.....

If I can contain my excitement during the build I may create a build log so y'all can tell me what I'm doing wrong

Hope to see y'all here soon!

-S-
-S- is offline Find More Posts by -S-
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:39 PM
Northern CA
Joined Mar 2006
194 Posts
Color decisions, that is what my holdup is, the motor is/was mounted. Everything is covered in UC white and I plan on dark green metallic trim. Yet I can'decide what to do on the wings yet. It is almost ready to fly. I'm using a Saito 82a. What I did do and you may consider this. I used 1/64 ply to sheet the turtle deck.
LtDan is offline Find More Posts by LtDan
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:51 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,274 Posts
Hey Dan,

I'm really leaning that way, I don't know much about 4 strokers yet, I have a satio 56 I have not run yet on a Piper Cub I picked up with several other planes and I think I'm going to part ways with it. Maybe that will make a good down payment on a bigger 4 stroke.

I saw some great Green and White planes at the venture 60 site that is a great combo, as strange as it may sound I also like a medium tan and green with the white, perhaps that may look good on a off set depending on what you have in mind.

Excuse the ignorance, but what is the Turtle Deck, I've read a few times about it but am not familiar with the term yet.

Here is a few of the greenies
http://www.venture60.com/jeff.htm
http://www.venture60.com/v60group-misc3.html
http://www.venture60.com/v60group-misc6.html

Thanks! -S-
Last edited by -S-; Nov 13, 2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:32 PM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,227 Posts
You are a nut, but a good kind of nut. The R/C Nut. :-)

Anyway, The turtledeck is the top portion of fuselage directly behind the cockpit that extends all the way back to the vertical stabilizer. Planes with turtledecks are easier to do knife edges with as the turtledeck provides more fuselage side area.

Good luck and please take pictures through out the build. looking forward to it.
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:20 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhoward1122 View Post
You are a nut, but a good kind of nut. The R/C Nut. :-)

Anyway, The turtledeck is the top portion of fuselage directly behind the cockpit that extends all the way back to the vertical stabilizer. Planes with turtledecks are easier to do knife edges with as the turtledeck provides more fuselage side area.

Good luck and please take pictures through out the build. looking forward to it.
V-How,

Yes I have been called a nut, actually quite often, but I am who I am and I like me

Thanks for the explanation, I kinda liked the look of the Turtle deck on my Sportster like that but if it is a good thing I'll kick it around when I get there.

I will take pics and try to document my successes and failures in hopes that it may improve my skills and help someone else on day!

Thanks for the info. -S-
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:45 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,274 Posts
4 strokes.... looking for other options

OK I have looked at the Saito's and they are cool looking motors.

I didn't realize they are Horizon Hobby exclusive, or at least appear to be.

I have seen they are very popular and seem to be "best of the breed" with the limited knowledge I have but I'd like more info because I'm OCD

What other brands are out there that folks have used?

*** added after the fact - I'm a OS 2 stroke guy ad the OS 81FS looks real good pricey but OS is the best no?

Just curious talk amongst yourselves I'll peep in once and awhile

-S-
Last edited by -S-; Nov 13, 2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: added OS remarks
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:44 AM
RC Addict
Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
258 Posts
I am running an OS91FS on my SIG 4Star60 (this is the sister model to the Venture60). The four star is close to 7lbs and the OS91FS pulls it around nicely with 14 x 7 prop. I would suggest that you go with the 81, at the very least. Would love to see pictures when you build it.

I believe the OS91FS is the same size and weight as the OS70FS, just a larger bore.
rmsingh is offline Find More Posts by rmsingh
Last edited by rmsingh; Nov 14, 2010 at 06:46 AM. Reason: More info
Old Nov 14, 2010, 04:30 PM
Northern CA
Joined Mar 2006
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -S- View Post
Hey Dan,

I'm really leaning that way, I don't know much about 4 strokers yet, I have a satio 56 I have not run yet on a Piper Cub I picked up with several other planes and I think I'm going to part ways with it. Maybe that will make a good down payment on a bigger 4 stroke.
-S-
Man I like four stroke engines. My Magnum 70 weighs 1 once less than my Magnum 61. 4C will spin a larger prop at lower RPM a lot more torque and power on take off roll. I have a Mag 56 on my 4star 40, my Venture will have a Saito 82 and my Indy Models "Sport" has the Mag 70.
LtDan is offline Find More Posts by LtDan
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:23 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDan View Post
Man I like four stroke engines. My Magnum 70 weighs 1 once less than my Magnum 61. 4C will spin a larger prop at lower RPM a lot more torque and power on take off roll. I have a Mag 56 on my 4star 40, my Venture will have a Saito 82 and my Indy Models "Sport" has the Mag 70.
I got to hear a OS91FS today at the field, one of the guys has a large YAK and the flew it today I Like that sound a lot!

I have the OS61 2 stroke as a backup, and it will be a good bit before I'm ready to finalize it but if I can afford a 91 I REALLY like that sound lot.

I can speak for performance as I've only flown 2 strokers so far, but I do have an 81 inch Piper J3 I was intending to sell that I may fly a few times just to hear the 56 four stoke on it :-)

Yeesh, is it Christmas yet

-S-
Old Nov 19, 2010, 06:26 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,274 Posts
Kit is here!

Woo Hoo!

Kit arrived today, I'm not supposed to open it till Christmas, so this may or may not be the last message till then :-)

Perhaps sooner -S-
Old Nov 19, 2010, 08:00 PM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,227 Posts
Going to put this on your new Aurora 9?
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old Nov 19, 2010, 09:33 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhoward1122 View Post
Going to put this on your new Aurora 9?
Of course! - I love the A9, had it about 6 months and I'm just now starting to use some of the features other than left, right, up, down :-)

I've been looking at light kits tonight. I don't want to run a strip of 50 lights down it but I'd like something.....

I have strip LED's perhaps I'll experiment with my sportster this weekend and see how it looks in the air, I have plenty of time to figure it out, but if anyone has experience with LED lights point me toward a thread, or post some info!

-S-
Old Nov 20, 2010, 08:25 AM
USA, MN, Burnsville
Joined May 2009
184 Posts
I have put some in my Ministick. Including a rope light which I think is too heavy so I am sticking with the LED stick on lights. I will try to post some pics later this afternoon. I also went to the trouble of putting a switch in so the bright landing lights would only come on when activated.
GeorgeToon is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeToon
Last edited by GeorgeToon; Nov 20, 2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 12:09 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeToon View Post
I have put some in my Ministick. Including a rope light which I think is too heavy so I am sticking with the rope lights. I will try to post some pics later this afternoon. I also went to the trouble of putting a switch in so the bright landing lights would only come on when activated.
George,

I'd love to see them, I've started looking at building my own string, but it may be easier to buy something.

I don't want to over do it, I'll experiment on my first Low Wing plane so I learn what NOT to do before I do it on the Venture.

Take care! -S-
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:16 AM
United States, MI, South Lyon
Joined Aug 2004
1,178 Posts
-S-,

When you get a minute, could you tell me the angle of the rudder hinge line in relation to the thrust line. Also, how far the horizontal stab is offset vertically from the thrust line and incidence?

I've got a 4star 60 that I want to bash into a Venture
StrangeGager is offline Find More Posts by StrangeGager