HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.46%
DW SKUA 28 4.80%
DW 38" kit 174 29.85%
DW 48" kit 154 26.42%
DW 55" kit 70 12.01%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.54%
Never owned one 208 35.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:27 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun View Post
You are talking about the 38" Yak vs the 40" Yak 55 I think? The 55M was pretty popular for a while, but the Juka is back in vogue. I think the 40" kit is worth the extra money, the 9mm is more durable than the 6mm on the 38".

Ok and there's the 55" kits. Here's my Juka, fresh from a victory over the NY Football Giants.
How is your rudder hinged?
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:39 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,983 Posts
New to foamies

I need some advice.
I've been flying ultra micros and PZ T-28 and P-47 since Feburary and have been thinking about these foamies.

What's a good training one that I can get with most everything to get it in the air? Would the 38" DW Juka be a good entry into this type of flying? If so I was thinking of PMing Mike for his thoughts on components. I really like the small flying envolope and moves these planes are capable of but need something that's beginner friendly. Thanks

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:43 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
I learned on a 38" Yak-54 after flying a PZ T-28 a few times. Personally, if you start it on low rates and just fly it like you'd fly your T-28 at first, it's really easy, IMHO.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:34 AM
Extreme Flight Minion
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
But get a 40" kit that is all 9 millimeter depron, it will fly better and be more durable
The Extra is great, so is the Juka, whatever one you want will be fine, just go low rates and you'll be fine
SpartanExec is offline Find More Posts by SpartanExec
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:35 AM
Joined Oct 2010
12 Posts
I came from helicopters and mike with DW Foamies recommended to me the 48" Extra 300L. The wings being removable were a plus, and the batteries where the same size. I ended up putting landing gear on it because the hover caught thing is out of my current league.
justanewbie is offline Find More Posts by justanewbie
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:40 AM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
Good to hear that hovering is easier on the real thing than on Pheonix. (Dang near impossible). Just a few paks thru my new bird and still getting used to it.

I will second that on low rates. Flys as good, or better than most so-called aileron trainers! Flys like an old 1/4 scale Telemaster! But turns into a beast on full rates!
Chris Arena is offline Find More Posts by Chris Arena
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:57 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
One other thought on hovering: you'll find (or at least I do) that if there's any wind that "hovering" is more like "lean it into the wind and give just enough throttle that it stops moving". Just so you're not disappointed...that sort of phenomenon is hard to replicate in a simulator.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:29 PM
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
544 Posts
Mike recomended 48" Yak 54 to me. Could not be happier. Nice easy flyer. No 3D yet. Still a beginner.
Bugbitten is offline Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:42 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun View Post
You are talking about the 38" Yak vs the 40" Yak 55 I think? The 55M was pretty popular for a while, but the Juka is back in vogue. I think the 40" kit is worth the extra money, the 9mm is more durable than the 6mm on the 38".

Ok and there's the 55" kits. Here's my Juka, fresh from a victory over the NY Football Giants.
actually I was thinking of the big guy, the 55" one. I have a friend that has the 48 and says it's not big enough. also the detachable wings are a nice feature.
twilkers is offline Find More Posts by twilkers
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:09 PM
Johninarky
Rogers,Arkansas
Joined Jul 2005
178 Posts
tail skid

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueapplepaste View Post
I just put a little strip of CF on the last inch of the rudder. It weighs practically nothing. Protects the bottom from grinding.
Here is another idea. Ron Coursey, a friend of mine came up with this idea.
ca a triangle of foam to the fuse. Make sure the angle gets you enough clearance when on the wheels. Cut a short piece of 1mm carbon rod and a short length of 3/16" or 1/4" wide piece of plastic cable tie. Use some 1 inch fibreglass packing tape and tape the 2 to the fuse. It is light weight and makes no sound on the runway. You will have to stick the combination out under the rudder far enough to get the required clearance.
John
jlremr is offline Find More Posts by jlremr
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:43 AM
Joined Oct 2010
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlremr View Post
Here is another idea. Ron Coursey, a friend of mine came up with this idea.
ca a triangle of foam to the fuse. Make sure the angle gets you enough clearance when on the wheels. Cut a short piece of 1mm carbon rod and a short length of 3/16" or 1/4" wide piece of plastic cable tie. Use some 1 inch fibreglass packing tape and tape the 2 to the fuse. It is light weight and makes no sound on the runway. You will have to stick the combination out under the rudder far enough to get the required clearance.
John
I did the same think to my foamie after adding the landing gear. Our runway is not the smoothest so that plastic tie is annoyingly loud. but it beats the atlernative.
justanewbie is offline Find More Posts by justanewbie
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:21 PM
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
i got another test flight in today. had to wait til now cause all we have had is wind and rain here in the south!!
finally the rain clouds moved out and the wind died down to a few mph. so i went out and got a good flight in.
It flys so smooth!! will knife edge all day with hardly any throw!! it has a very small pull to the belly but nothing that can't be handled. it snap rolls so nicely. even on an upline u ca do a snap an keep going up. i have flown years of imac flying so i do a good bit of imac manuvers whn flying.
i went up and went into a blender, WOW, it went into it very easy and got very flat!!! i did some hovering around and some torque rolls. in a hover it has almost no wing rock, very easy to control and same way in a torque roll!!!
the 40" extra 300L is the best of both worlds. it can 3-d great and fly imac, or pattern style flying great too. if u want an all around plane the extra 300L is it!!!
here are a few pics i took outside after the flight!!

Mikey
madmikeyreturns is offline Find More Posts by madmikeyreturns
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:25 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Nice! that Extra is real spiffy with those wheel pants.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:55 PM
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
Thanks Flog, it flys as good as it looks!!! i took some more pics a bit ago of both the 40" Extra 300L and the 40" Yak 55M. they are some cool pics i took!!
i feel that i have the best of all worlds having the extra 300L and the yak 55M!!
i don't know what it is, i love to have wheel pants on a foamie, just makes it look so good done right!!

Mikey
madmikeyreturns is offline Find More Posts by madmikeyreturns
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:14 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
Hi MadMikey,

while not a dw foamie owner yet, I will be this weekend (going to the last huckfest in Lodi, CA) where DW will undoubtedly have a big truck. I'm having trouble deciding between the models.

can you compare the extra and the yak55M regarding flight characteristics?

I have other 3D Hobby shop planes(41" edge, 51" slick and 68" velox) but thought one of the dw foamies would be good and less risky practice.

I like the fusion design and the 40" uses same batts and servos as the 41" mentioned above.

thanks in advance,
tim
twilkers is offline Find More Posts by twilkers