SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 02, 2009, 01:06 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2007
906 Posts
Discussion
rocket powered stealth f-117

well, sorta.... rocket assisted.

An old Beat up rcpowers f-117 stealth with a model rocket C-6-5 motor on the back!!

rc Stealth with a c6-5 rocket motor (1 min 37 sec)

rc Stealth with a c6-5 rocket motor (0 min 57 sec)

It does not add a lot of thrust, but does do a little. I will try D's soon...
yzguy is offline Find More Posts by yzguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: wing wing z-84 fpv setup
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2009, 01:42 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
You need to cut the throttle, then PUNCH the rocket power in

Just be careful where you fire it, as a red hot rocket motor landing in dry brush is not a good idea
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Nov 02, 2009, 04:26 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2007
906 Posts
a C sized motor is not as powerful as the motor that is on it, I tried to point it up and hit the rocket, and it stalled out quickly. It will add just a little bit of speed though when already at full throttle.

Yeah, just over a big open field, and not really dry right now, and by the time they land you can pick them up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2009, 05:15 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
^Yeah, point the nose up with enough throttle ot keep it forward, then fire and chop throttle
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:54 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
You may want to look at Rapier Rocket motors instead of Estes motors.....Rapiers are designed to fly planes and Estes are designed to fly missiles, in other words, Estes are more like a field goal kicker---punt!---all the energy in one or two seconds, where as the Rapier motor's thrust is drawn out over many seconds.....

The only drawback is they are a bit harder to come by here in the States, but more available in th UK.....just thought I'd share some things we found out the hard way..

Joe
redlite is offline Find More Posts by redlite
Old Nov 11, 2009, 03:46 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2007
906 Posts
thanks, but this was more of a "I wonder what would happen if I strap this to a plane?" than a Real attempt at doing anything!!

I do have D's to try next, when I get to it, I'll put up a vid

This stealth just keeps flying, and as long as it is, I just can't retire it an build another one. So after 1 or 2 tries with the D's, I think I'm going to glue in the D motor to the holder, this way when it normally ejects, it should blow apart the rear of the plane!! I don't think I'll have on board vid for that one though, but maybe from the ground if I can get a camera man.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2009, 07:00 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Yeah, that's fringe, but sounds cool...just get it on tape for the rest of us fringers...

We were trying to go for the fastest scale paper airplane record....unsatisfactory results due to the amount of work really needed for that goal.....yeah, fringe.....

Joe
redlite is offline Find More Posts by redlite
Last edited by redlite; Nov 13, 2009 at 08:32 AM.