HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM
United Kingdom, England, Inchbrook
Joined Apr 2014
19 Posts
Discussion
slick 360 repairs

hello

i was wondering if anyone could help me by telling me how i could fix this, the plane is the slick 360 and the landing gear was torn off with some wood after a rough landing on a windy day.

thanks Callum
plane controller is offline Find More Posts by plane controller
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
543 Posts
Callum,

Your damage is fairly classic and there isn't too many of us that hasn't had to do this kind of repair. To start off it would be helpful to know the weight and size of the Slick 360.

I would suggest trying to glue the broken pieces back into place and then adding another layer of plywood (about 1/8" thick) on the bottom of the existing gear plate. First remove the blind nuts and save for reinstallation. Then, if you can, cut the same 1/8 plywood to shape and drop it in over the broken sections on the inside creating a "sandwich", if you will, above the below the old hole locations.

Now set the landing gear over the new plywood plate and drill new holes in the plate. Then select another drill bit to match the diameter of the blind nut that will extend through the plywood on the inside of the plane and re-drill the holes. Caution!, keep the larger bit as close to the size of the blind nut as possible. If you get too big the blind nut's teeth can bite into the plywood.

Since we have thickened the landing gear plate the old screws might not make it all the way through; you might have to get longer ones.

PM me if you have any question and visit the "Build and Repair Thread" in the 3D Flying Forum.

RCMC
RCMC is offline Find More Posts by RCMC
Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM
Now, what does this button do?
Christchurch. NZ
Joined Dec 2009
534 Posts
Further to what RCMC has posted.
The two circled areas are the piece of "ply" that goes between the three formers to give some strength (sic) to the u/c.

So your doubler inside the fuselage will need to be at least 4mm thick & epoxied into place between the two adjacent formers (1 & 2) to enable your new mount to spread the load across the fuselage.

At least the existing bolts are long enough!
Nukiwi is online now Find More Posts by Nukiwi