HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2013, 08:27 AM
Joined Oct 2013
22 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King

Has anybody here had any dealings with "Hobby King?" Their prices on materials and radios and just about everything look really good to me.
Sratch Builder is offline Find More Posts by Sratch Builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2013, 08:32 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,479 Posts
Search is your friend - about 1k + threads on Hobby King. The good the bad and the ugly one might call them.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2013, 09:38 AM
Joined Oct 2013
22 Posts
I see what you mean. I can't find much of anything good about Hobby King on the customer's reviews on the net. Crummy service, forever shipping, defective products and on and on. Never saw so many one star ratings before. Some folks even call them crooks.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 09:47 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,967 Posts
Can't say I've read all the reviews, but I have purchased some Lipo's, TX/RX, ESC's, brushless motors and a few other little items. Items shipped from overseas did not take too long to arrive, and items in USA warehouses shipped quickly. I got everything I asked for, and none were DOA. Although shipping charges on overseas Lipo's are getting very high, but that is not a surprise.
Now, when you read the reviews you have to consider the source. A kid saying this tiny motor did not push his brick of a boat at lightning speeds is not, in my mind at least, a bad review.
Is there a specific item you have questions about?

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Nov 06, 2013, 10:55 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,415 Posts
I've used HobbyPartz http://www.hobbypartz.com/ several times, no issues...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Nov 06, 2013, 11:11 AM
Fort Wayne IN
Joined Aug 2007
232 Posts
Years ago when I bought my first 2.4 Ghz radio, HK was the only affordable option out there. Over time, I bought two more 2.4 Ghz radios and a basket full of receivers - all with no issues. But I knew full well that if I had a problem, I would face substantial obstacles getting a resolution. Any new radios from here on out will come from US based resellers. Given the extent of the published problems, I feel that I was extra lucky.
linerfanatic is offline Find More Posts by linerfanatic
Old Nov 06, 2013, 11:32 AM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,320 Posts
No problems!

I've had absolutely no issues with them, over $1000 in motors, ESC's, bat's and other boat and radio parts ordered and received in excellent condition. One thing, keep in mind it's still all Chinese products you're ordering, not always the highest of quality yet you get what you paid for Had one recall, it took two email's and it was solved to everyone's satisfaction

I can dig linerfanatic's approach, I went in the same way Good luck on your choice! Boo
pkboo is offline Find More Posts by pkboo
Old Nov 06, 2013, 11:34 AM
Joined Oct 2010
24 Posts
I've bought from Hobbyking several times as well with no problems. From their overseas warehouse as well as their US. Have bought batteries, radios, misc parts.
xanin is offline Find More Posts by xanin
Old Nov 06, 2013, 12:18 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,583 Posts
i just checked.

i have ordered from hobbyking 19 times, totaling a bit more than $1350, ranging for items from batteries to RTF boats and planes. cancelled one order, that order was from the US warehouse, for a sailboat ( totaling $110). they claim the order fell through the cracks, but after seeing the order sit in a "processing" state for two weeks, i demanded my paypal be credited, and when they wouldn't, i had paypal stop payment. it took 2 weeks to clear up, but they have the boat, and i have my money. i have ordered from them since then, and have had only the one issue.

i have also ordered from hobbypartz, but the two really don't carry the same stuff. hobbyking has considerably larger inventory, and with a broader selection of types of inventory as well. most of my hobbypartz orders are limited to batteries.
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Last edited by tsenecal; Nov 15, 2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 01:55 PM
Joined Oct 2013
22 Posts
OK guys, thanks! They sound a little chancy, but maybe OK
Old Nov 06, 2013, 03:44 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,268 Posts
Shipping times vary widely depending on where the items are located.
If you make sure you are ordering from the USA warehouse for shipping to
North America, then delivery is very quick. If you order from an overseas
warehouse, then delivery time can be up to 45 days.

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Nov 06, 2013, 03:45 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sratch Builder View Post
OK guys, thanks! They sound a little chancy, but maybe OK
Here are the rules with Hobby King:
  • Order only IN STOCK items
  • Pay attention to the warehouse
  • Plan on the quality be a tad less than you are used too
  • If it breaks they won't help
  • If they send you the wrong stuff - it won't matter to them
  • Shipping will take a while - even if you order priority! i.e. they don't rush anything
  • Use PayPal so if they don't ship/gets lost/get wrong stuff you have options
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2013, 10:27 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,260 Posts
Never had a problem. They have revamped their entire structure and now have a USA warehouse. Not everything is available in the USA, but they are getting more stock in everyday. Shipping times are long! Even in the USA.
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime
Old Nov 06, 2013, 11:31 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,723 Posts
I ordered a LIPOs from HobbyPartz and a 2.4ghz TX/ed's from Hobby King with no issues. Pda4ypou's rules are pretty accurate, although I thought the shipping times weren't bad.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Nov 06, 2013, 11:46 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,629 Posts
I also have orders with them, over $2000 IIRC, Ive had 2 failed parts but they were cheap enough to order spares at the same time.

Problem with customer s is that if they have a good report about a company they might tell 4 people, but a bad report will be told to 20+ people, I think its even worse on the forums

Nick
nick_75au is online now Find More Posts by nick_75au