HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:40 PM
Registered Airplane Offender
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,874 Posts
Discussion
Easy-to-build B-17, B-29, P-47 and B-24

I'm not sure if people are gonna dig this or not, but having assembled some airframes, I'm starting to like what I see, so here's the thread!

This all started with the urge to build a B-17 companion for my 50-inch Avro Lincoln that I finally finished recently. It's powered by a 1320 3S lipo and hand launched.

Yeah.

Suffice it to say that on the way to the production line, she gained some weight.

These aircraft are what I call 'box profile' aircraft. Profile foamies with enough room in the box to stow equipment. As you can imagine, this is about as simple as big birds get to construct.

All I used for plans were some 3 views grabbed off the internet. A simple removal of the chin turret and that B-17G is now an F. At first I was skeptical that a giant profile B-17 would be worth showing, but as I say, when painted, it almost fools you at times.

The overall specs are as follows:

B-17-
Wingspan: 96 inches
Length: 66 inches
AUW: (Target estimated) 6-7 pounds.
Powerplant: 4X 450 brushless outrunners.
4X 40Amp ESCs.
Flight battery: 2X 3700-5000mah 3S lipo
1X Receiver pack
Total servos on board: 6 (if working bomb bay)

I'll get to the B-29 a bit later. It is also 96 inches in span, making the 2 aircraft not to scale. Sorry.

The construction material of choice for these builds is foam core board. I get it for my business in 48X96 sheets. Nice and stiff yet relatively light weight.

http://www.uline.com/BL_870/Foam-Cor...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

That's not exactly the kind I use though. I use an acid free variety that is lighter in weight. I get it from a picture frame supply company.

The B-29 is made from a heavier version of the foam, so we'll see what her AUW turns out to be. Hopefully well within the 4X 450 outrunners.

The 450s are rated for up to 2 pounds which means they ought to carry 8 pounds worth of aircraft alone. With the '17 at least, I think 6 pounds is reachable. Minus bomb load

For simplicity, the B-17 will fly with fixed landing gear, but I'm going for retracts with the '29. IMHO, fixed landing gear spoils the B-29 more than the 17.

The key appeal to building this way I think is what it gives you for the time it takes to build. Something like a slow stick trying to be a scale warbird if you will. Or, well, a profile foamie.

In the case of the B-17, it took a day and a half to complete the airframe, ready for electronics installation. Another hour or so to paint the camo scheme.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask. For now, the first pictures.

Barrett
greenseaships is offline Find More Posts by greenseaships
Last edited by greenseaships; Jun 21, 2014 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Now with B-24!!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:17 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,518 Posts
Barrett,

That's great - I always felt that we needed large, simple B-17 plans. Even started down that path myself, but got sidetracked and it's now years later.... Here's a thread where I've been collecting B-17 model info over the years: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435032

Please continue to post about your planes, even plans if you have them.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:35 PM
Joined May 2013
79 Posts
Looking very interesting thus far. I know the acid-free gallery board, lovely stuff, got a stack of it sitting in the closet that was extras for the last photo exhibit -- too small to do much in the way of a plane with though.

I second the vote to continue with the planes. Much as I like scale birds, I just don't have the patience to build every little detail. I love the idea of "near-ish" scale planes, and these look like they'll be quite impressive when complete.

Martin Jay McKee
mckeemj is offline Find More Posts by mckeemj
Old Aug 01, 2013, 12:08 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,874 Posts
Haus- Those CG renders look awfully close to what I'm doing. The main difference being the airfoil of the wing due to size.

I don't really HAVE plans per se it's really all from a printed out 3 view. For example, this image was blown up in photoshop to actually print out at 60 inches from the ring of the plexi nose to the forward end of the tail gun position. That's because I was cutting out of 60-inch foam sheets. Took something like 12 pages to print but I was able to trace directly.

For the top-down, I just cut a strip of foam about 3 inches wide. From the area just behind the wings to the tail, I tapered it to 1.5 inches in a straight line.

The image I'm posting here also shows the scale representation of my main landing gear. For a plane of my size, the 3-view said the main tires should be 4.5 inches in diameter, but the closest I was able to find at my LHS was 5 inches. I think they still look fine.

So if I were you guys wanting to do this, I'd just enlarge a 3 view in photoshop to whatever size I want my plane to be and print out some pages.

Martin--

Yeah, a big motive for doing this is that, well, SOMETIMES, you want to easily replace that plane that crashes. :P I can envision having 2 or more spare fuselages sitting at the field. If one plane crashes, and the wings aren't busted up, just go grab the next fuselage, plug it in and you're off! Your buddies will be doing double takes!
Last edited by greenseaships; Aug 01, 2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old Aug 01, 2013, 01:11 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,874 Posts
Oh and thanks for the shoutout in the other thread, Haus!!
Old Aug 01, 2013, 03:13 AM
Joined May 2008
13 Posts
Subbed.
circum95 is online now Find More Posts by circum95
Old Aug 01, 2013, 06:34 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,518 Posts
NP. This project is a good one. What are your plans for the wheels?
Old Aug 01, 2013, 09:05 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdahlhaus View Post
NP. This project is a good one. What are your plans for the wheels?
Fixed for the B-17. Retracts for the B-29. I'll put up some pics of the 29 tonight.
Old Aug 01, 2013, 11:29 AM
Allways the hard way!
South Africa, GP, Germiston
Joined Jan 2012
423 Posts
This design looks like the best ever excuse to do the Mitchell i've been dreaming off... (Might just have to give the gull-wing a miss)

Looking forward to your completed model!

George
georgy is online now Find More Posts by georgy
Old Aug 01, 2013, 11:59 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,518 Posts
George, there was a guy in germany that made a b-25 in this style a few years ago. I posted a link in the foamie plans thread 2-3 years ago if you're interested. He had a video too. There's also a 'Stichell' which is the same idea in balsa.
Old Aug 01, 2013, 04:43 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgy View Post
This design looks like the best ever excuse to do the Mitchell i've been dreaming off... (Might just have to give the gull-wing a miss)

Looking forward to your completed model!

George
There are definitely some real life designs that seem tailor made for a building technique like this.

- B-24 Liberator
- Lancaster
- B-25
- JU-52
- Ford Trimotor

Heck, the list is endless! Why oh why did I have to fall in love with the B-29???

As for the B-29, help yourselves to a sneak peak. She's also rather far along.
Old Aug 01, 2013, 05:53 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,874 Posts
And some more shots of the B-17 after joining the wings and adding the engine nacelles.
Old Aug 01, 2013, 06:48 PM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,249 Posts
crazy cool B-17.I'm with ya.
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Aug 01, 2013, 06:57 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,020 Posts
Awesome project!!! Subscribed! Very interested in your wing construction - will you be adding any washout to the tips? Also very interested in this style of model as I've got a 60" A-26 Invader (box fuse) that I need to finish up! Pretty cool as they are about the same scale - I was planning on using 450 size motors too!

Looking forward to your progress! Perhaps we could get a multi-engine boxfuse thread going!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Aug 01, 2013, 07:08 PM
Joined Mar 2002
4,518 Posts
Retracts!

A B-17 as nice as this will need retracts. Here's some inspiration - none are my design and most are from other places here on RC Groups.