HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:43 PM
I can quit anytime I want.
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Thanks KK and abletowing. I'll give it a shot.
sdgeek is offline Find More Posts by sdgeek
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:42 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, MI, Hell
Joined May 2009
6,318 Posts
If I had a question and I needed to show the screen or board or whatever I'd take a photo and post it here to get assistance.

When I try to answer a question and I can do it better with a photo or illustration than description I upload a .jpg of the situation.

If I had a problem with a radio that was visible in any way -- and I wanted to either convince people of it's authenticity or severity -- I think I'd post a photo of it. Cell phones take pretty good close up images, and are ubiquitous in most areas.

Lack of visual evidence leaves too much to the imagination.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:51 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
If I had a question and I needed to show the screen or board or whatever I'd take a photo and post it here to get assistance.

When I try to answer a question and I can do it better with a photo or illustration than description I upload a .jpg of the situation.

If I had a problem with a radio that was visible in any way -- and I wanted to either convince people of it's authenticity or severity -- I think I'd post a photo of it. Cell phones take pretty good close up images, and are ubiquitous in most areas.

Lack of visual evidence leaves too much to the imagination.
Yep, that's what I always do... and camphone video is great too. Here's some video I shot while helping a new friend troubleshoot his radio. It's just the thing to send to vendor support people when getting troubleshooting help.

DX8 Diagnosis (2 min 44 sec)

I note that he just spent $500 on this Tx/Rx setup at an LHS! He's got a 9xr on back order. :-)
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:00 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
Yep, that's what I always do... and camphone video is great too. Here's some video I shot while helping a new friend troubleshoot his radio. It's just the thing to send to vendor support people when getting troubleshooting help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoRNDq2m6_g

I note that he just spent $500 on this Tx/Rx setup at an LHS! He's got a 9xr on back order. :-)
No way, a problem with a "high-end" radio like that!!!!! When are people going to learn!!!
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:09 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchtr3a View Post
As Bruce Simpson from RCMODELREVIEWS and XJET says "Don't spend money with Hobby King or the Chinese outlets on EBay, that you can't afford to lose." Pretty smart guy, Bruce.
It's good advice for no-name vendors that you might have trouble returning things to, but definitely not for HK these days.

There's a 7-day return policy, and a longer warranty return policy on all items. You can return to their US shipping address.
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:46 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgeek View Post
I hate to steer this away from quality control issues but does anyone have a link to a tool that makes removal of the top switches easier? They have a slotted round (smooth) nut holding them in place and I don't seem to have anything capable of liberating them from the case.
Unfortunately the "tool" is not available separately, but this worked for me...:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...l-Red-8-JR-12X
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:08 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WimH View Post
Unfortunately the "tool" is not available separately, but this worked for me...:

The stylus for the Futaba 14MZ has one built in to it, but they are $20.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:14 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,389 Posts
About the 9XR case having all those lines or cracks or whatever they are called..
Is it not normal practice to make a few prototypes to check for imperfections? and correct if needed? they might have had some samples, right??
I think they could have done a good job and it would have costed them the same to do it..
I just got the feeling that it was just lazyness and lack of care and nothing else

P.S. or rushing to have the product out..
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:44 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgeek View Post
I hate to steer this away from quality control issues but does anyone have a link to a tool that makes removal of the top switches easier? They have a slotted round (smooth) nut holding them in place and I don't seem to have anything capable of liberating them from the case.
When I was looking for the same tool, I found these...

http://www.raneystruckparts.com/togg...n-kit-2-piece/

But, I couldn't figure out if it would work, so I just made one up.

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:43 AM
Joined Aug 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highflydreamer View Post
FEE-PHI-FOE......
DONT GO UNDER THE BRIDGE....
CUZ I SMELL A TROLL

either that or you & your friends are the most unluckiest guys on the planet to get totaly unusable radio
If saying what it is ,is making him a TROLL ,

Then you are one of these guys that get every month 100 bonus points from HK, to com over here and attack people that are not pro HK !

THEN YES I SMELL A TROLL TO !
TheTimeTraveler is offline Find More Posts by TheTimeTraveler
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:57 AM
chicken nuggets
Joined Aug 2011
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
About the 9XR case having all those lines or cracks or whatever they are called..
Is it not normal practice to make a few prototypes to check for imperfections? and correct if needed? they might have had some samples, right??
I think they could have done a good job and it would have costed them the same to do it..
I just got the feeling that it was just lazyness and lack of care and nothing else

P.S. or rushing to have the product out..

jhsa you are absolutely right on what you say. Any injection moulding plant worth a toss would produce test shots - and sometimes that can run into dozens of them to get things right. Even more so when it involves cosmetic issues as that is what you see! There is nothing on that case moulding the cannot be corrected by adjusting the moulding cycle parameters or minor tool modifications. What I think has happened is they have produced a bad first batch of several hundred maybe and rather than regrind, have outed them to stop the moaning about delayed releases!
It costs just as much to make a bad one as it does a good one, so that will have saved Anthony Hand a few quid.
HeliHaven is offline Find More Posts by HeliHaven
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:02 AM
Joined Aug 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
Julez is spot on and stop caling them cracks because they aren't.
If I look in to the crack on the outside and see the light that I hold on the inside of the TX how do you call that ?
I have a crack in than dam 9X-R and that's what it is .
I not call that a minor cosmetic issue !

TheTimeTraveler is offline Find More Posts by TheTimeTraveler
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:15 AM
chicken nuggets
Joined Aug 2011
206 Posts
TheTimeTraveller ... No matter the facts, some simply will not allow anyone to diss HK.
If light shows through, yours is worse than a knit line as those become something else if they are less than 20% of wall thickness, simplisticly as in if the wall is 1mm and there is only 0.2mm plastic. Yours is a short shot. Rubbish moulding. Full stop.
HeliHaven is offline Find More Posts by HeliHaven
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:35 AM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WimH View Post

Awesome, thanks.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:42 AM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
When I was looking for the same tool, I found these...

http://www.raneystruckparts.com/togg...n-kit-2-piece/

But, I couldn't figure out if it would work, so I just made one up.

KC
I also found a few different tools of similar design, but, like that one, there were no apparent "sizes" marked for them.