SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 08, 2014, 09:01 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtraflyr View Post
There's another orange wire that goes into the telemetry port from the esc.
Cool thanks! I thought you had to use the air module. That makes this a much better feature for small fuse/ small plane set ups.
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2014, 09:03 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
718 Posts
You want to save weight so your best choice would be to get yourself a 35A/45A telemetry ESC.

The connection between the ESC and RX is done through a single wire that goes into the +T port of the RX.

Nice ship.
Graupner USA is offline Find More Posts by Graupner USA
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Graupner USA; Sep 09, 2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2014, 09:07 PM
Perth, W.A.
Joined Mar 2008
232 Posts
All you need than is a vario. Y lead with the ESC telemetry wire into the Rx and you got everything for a glider. I got the same setup in a Solius. Works brilliantly.
Hati is online now Find More Posts by Hati
Old Sep 08, 2014, 09:16 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hati View Post
All you need than is a vario. Y lead with the ESC telemetry wire into the Rx and you got everything for a glider. I got the same setup in a Solius. Works brilliantly.
Well it just keeps getting better. I thought you would have to have the module for sure in that sort of set up.
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old Sep 08, 2014, 09:16 PM
Woodstock, VT
Joined Jan 2007
614 Posts
Okay so let me get this straight. if i have the rx with vario I don't need the external vario

Is there a reason to get the rx with flight stabilization? I was thinking GR-12+3xG+3A+VARIO HOTT
Will the flight stabilization be worthwhile in a glider?
Sctholson is offline Find More Posts by Sctholson
Old Sep 08, 2014, 09:28 PM
Chester NJ
Joined Nov 2005
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sctholson View Post
Okay so let me get this straight. if i have the rx with vario I don't need the external vario

Is there a reason to get the rx with flight stabilization? I was thinking GR-12+3xG+3A+VARIO HOTT
I have that RX in my bird of time sailplane. It's a pure sailplane no power only a winch. The gyro seems to help keep it straight up on the winch launch. The vario is awesome and really does help find lift. And yes you won't need an external vario.
xtraflyr is offline Find More Posts by xtraflyr
Old Sep 08, 2014, 09:53 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
718 Posts
Quote:

Since its a full house glider you will need at least 7 channels to operate if you want the benefits of being able to change camber, butterfly and other sailplane specific settings.

You will not benefit too much from stabilization but when hanging and circling in a thermal it may be nice to have. I would go for a GR-16L and buy the vario module separate.
Graupner USA is offline Find More Posts by Graupner USA
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 08, 2014, 09:53 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,357 Posts
Quote:

Correct, if you get the 12+3xG+3A+VARIO HoTT you won't need the external vario. I don't know about the gyro, but I'm sure it would be helpful on a winch.

I use the GR-16L with separate external vario and it is absolutely wonderful for finding lift, altitude and sink. The built in telemetry in the GR-16L indicates Rx temperature, Rx volts, time, and other options. I like to keep it simple with vario only. I don't use much battery in my Rad'ster, so having the option of battery usage isn't really needed. Believe me, when you are at the limit of seeing, the last thing you want to do is be distracted by too much information, I need to concentrate on where the sailplane is. I have the vario toggled on and off with right hand top switches and can toggle between all the voice outputs without taking my eyes off the sky.

Since you live in VT, you should try to come out to the SeptemberSoar in Bristol, VT Sept 19-21st, 2014. All are welcome, no fee to watch. Most of the big east coast sailplane RC Towing enthusiasts will be there with big 6m + European built sailplanes. This is a great opportunity to see what is used flying. I'll let you listen in to my beautiful European Graupner lady on the vario telemetry :-)

http://www.rcsoaringvt.org

Cheers, Thompson
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Sep 08, 2014, 10:10 PM
Perth, W.A.
Joined Mar 2008
232 Posts
Like the others pointed out, you only need one type of vario. Built in if you need something that has it already, or standalone if you don't. Gliders are inherently stable so additional stabilisation is not needed. I use motor timer off the throttle stick, a general timer I start when I get the glider in the air just so I know how long the flight has been, vario and used battery capacity off a switch.

I first work out how long the battery would go with the motor on, like a powered plane. Take 80% of that and set it on throttle timer. Than work out 70% of the battery capacity and set it as alarm on the ESC. These percentages are pretty safe as the glider under normal "gliding" conditions does not use much power so it should be safe, however you may want to test it out with your own setup. One thing I found is that used battery capacity is underestimated by the speed controller, hence I use 70% not 80%.

My last glider outing turned out to be the longest one ever. I normally get 4.5 minutes of motor on for 20 to 40 minutes of flying depending on the lift available on the day. This last time however I was in the air for 52 minutes for only 3 minutes and a bit of motor run. My flight pack came down at 3.707 volts per cell (3S 2450 pack), that is lower then I like so I'm going to set low voltage alarm for the flightpack as well.

This way you can fly as long as your battery will let you, without needing to land early.
Hati is online now Find More Posts by Hati
Old Sep 08, 2014, 10:28 PM
Woodstock, VT
Joined Jan 2007
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
Correct, if you get the 12+3xG+3A+VARIO HoTT you won't need the external vario. I don't know about the gyro, but I'm sure it would be helpful on a winch.

I use the GR-16L with separate external vario and it is absolutely wonderful for finding lift, altitude and sink. The built in telemetry in the GR-16L indicates Rx temperature, Rx volts, time, and other options. I like to keep it simple with vario only. I don't use much battery in my Rad'ster, so having the option of battery usage isn't really needed. Believe me, when you are at the limit of seeing, the last thing you want to do is be distracted by too much information, I need to concentrate on where the sailplane is. I have the vario toggled on and off with right hand top switches and can toggle between all the voice outputs without taking my eyes off the sky.

Since you live in VT, you should try to come out to the SeptemberSoar in Bristol, VT Sept 19-21st, 2014. All are welcome, no fee to watch. Most of the big east coast sailplane RC Towing enthusiasts will be there with big 6m + European built sailplanes. This is a great opportunity to see what is used flying. I'll let you listen in to my beautiful European Graupner lady on the vario telemetry :-)

http://www.rcsoaringvt.org

Cheers, Thompson
Hey Thompson, thanks for the heads up about the September Soar. Nice to know you and others exist so close.
This plane plan is coming together.

Thanks to all who pitched in.
Sctholson is offline Find More Posts by Sctholson
Old Sep 09, 2014, 04:43 AM
Bulgaria, Sofia-grad, Sofia
Joined Feb 2012
1,722 Posts
Hi guys, I need some help with the 6ch receiver with the gyros. I have it installed in a delta plane running elevons, but I can't figure out how to set the stabilization so that it would work with elevons. Anyone done this?
Arxangel is online now Find More Posts by Arxangel
Old Sep 09, 2014, 06:52 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Hey Thompson, thanks for the heads up about the September Soar. Nice to know you and others exist so close.
This plane plan is coming together.

Thanks to all who pitched in.
You are welcome. Try your hardest to make this event, even if it is for a few hours. Not to be missed, the sailplanes and flying skills of the experienced pilots are top notch. One pilot is on Team JR and runs RCAerotowing.com with his friend who is the hands down best tug pilot around. There should be 20-30 pilots and loads of really über kewl scale sailplanes.

I'm building a 1954 4 m Bergfalke Mü13e but will have my new Ka-8 there too along with the Rad'ster.

There is still time for Graupner to send some banners, teardrop flags, windsocks, promotional material and even some product, would be great exposure in all photographs for this premier scale sailplane aerotowing event.
Last edited by studioRS; Sep 09, 2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2014, 08:51 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxangel View Post
Hi guys, I need some help with the 6ch receiver with the gyros. I have it installed in a delta plane running elevons, but I can't figure out how to set the stabilization so that it would work with elevons. Anyone done this?
I have a vintage 2m Schleicher Ka1 built up balsa sailplane that I'm finishing up and this has a v-tail. This will be a good programming question to follow, I was also thinking of a new Rx with gyro.

Cheers, Thompson
Old Sep 11, 2014, 01:28 PM
Bath, Ontario
Joined Sep 2007
211 Posts
New Updates

New Updates Available

http://www.graupner.de/en/supportdet...c-b5b0cff1ed99

http://www.openhobby.com/front/support_download.php
cloudniner is offline Find More Posts by cloudniner
Last edited by cloudniner; Sep 14, 2014 at 01:55 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 05:00 AM
Israel, Jerusalem
Joined May 2007
137 Posts
Got my MZ-24 earlier this week. Amazing piece of radio, compared to the A9 i am using now. I am on the learning curve. I must add though, that for the best radio I have seen, it has the worst documentation, print and on line , that I ever came across, no to mention the Firmware Upgrade Studio which does not even have a help screen.
For this kind of radio, with many new features and services, a good documentation is a must. And it is a pity that the one provided is soo poor. It takes much longer to get up and running.
Thanks to this website and to the contributors here, I have already read half of the 180 odd pages looking for answers.
If Graupner will look deeper, they will see that the longest support threads are coming from the less documented products. But manufacturers should not rely on that and provide a good documentation.
Having said that, I am very happy with the radio.
S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN is offline Find More Posts by S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN